CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

PowerChip takes CLK55 to 381HP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Mach430
Not to jump in and promote our own products, but please explain why you would rather do an ECU upgrade for $990 that MAY provide 15hp by changing the way the engine works, instead of our underdrive pulleys that will add 13hp at the wheels (equivalent to ~16.5 crank hp) for $499 (plus 1-3 hours install) and does not in any way affect the engine? Our pulleys do not add power at the engine, they free up power from the over-powered accessories, which allows more to be delivered at the wheels. Our pulleys can also be swapped back to stock at any time, which is much easier than resodering a new chip in your ECU (which is definitely noticable).
Because I first want to get rid of the top speed gobernor, but you have a good point, I guess that will be my next step, check your PM
Old 02-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: underdrive pulleys

Originally posted by 5439cc
Makes Sense, Where can I have this done ? I live in Northern N.J I would be interested in doing this.
Any shop should be able to install the pulleys. You are only changing 3 pulleys and a belt. All they need is a pulley puller from Snap-On Tools. If they do not know how to do it, I would leave... We are available for tech support if the installer needs assistance.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking

That's OK for people that doesn't have the ud pulleys, but everybody knows that I have them and still would like to see who is willing to try the power chip, before I jump on and see if I can add maybe another 13 HP, which should take me over 310 HP.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by theine
That's OK for people that doesn't have the ud pulleys, but everybody knows that I have them and still would like to see who is willing to try the power chip, before I jump on and see if I can add maybe another 13 HP, which should take me over 310 HP.
Well, I'm debating on the pulleys or the chip, I'll let you know when I make up my mind.
Actually I'm going to end up doing both, it is just a matter of deciding which first because I can't do both at the same time (wife will kill me)
Old 02-13-2003, 03:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Do you have baseline dyno to document your gains/losses with?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:53 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
Ben, how much you guys charge for a baseline run on your dyno?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Re: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who thinks chipping can give an N/A motor

Originally posted by pocholin
Well, it worked on my 96 impala SS which BTW uses OBDII (as the Benzes)....
Pocholin

I don't know if you're aware of this, but EVERY new car in the U.S. is REQUIRED to use OBDII, from Ferrari to MB to Chevy. OBDII is used for emissions diagnostics. Just because a Chevy did well with a chip, doesn't mean the more sophisticated Benz will, just based on the fact that it uses OBDII (On-Board Diagnostics).
(Just trying to share some knowledge)
Old 02-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Re: Re: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who thinks chipping can give an N/A motor

Originally posted by CoryU
Pocholin

I don't know if you're aware of this, but EVERY new car in the U.S. is REQUIRED to use OBDII, from Ferrari to MB to Chevy. OBDII is used for emissions diagnostics. Just because a Chevy did well with a chip, doesn't mean the more sophisticated Benz will, just based on the fact that it uses OBDII (On-Board Diagnostics).
(Just trying to share some knowledge)
Thanks, i didn't know that the way you explained.

I mean the Impala and the Suburban are automatic, and the article does say it makes a difference on automatics, more of a difference on the chevy truck they tested.

Mach430, I don't have a recent one, the last one I did (a year ago) if I remember correctly my car had 276 RWHP. But I will be getting one a day or two before I do either mod first.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Re: Re: Re: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who thinks chipping can give an N/A moto

Thanks, i didn't know that the way you explained.

I mean the Impala and the Suburban are automatic, and the article does say it makes a difference on automatics, more of a difference on the chevy truck they tested.
No offense intended, but Chevy builds cars as cheaply as they possibly can. I'm not saying Chevy's are shiny pieces of scrap, but it's not about the love of the car, it's about the love of money. Just look at Ferrari, MB or Porsche- Of course they want to make money, (just look at the Cayanne) but those manufacturers also have a passion for the car. When you build a car cheaply, there is always lots of room for improvement. You could balance and blueprint a Chevy V8, and get substantial gains. Try that on a Mercedes, Porsche or Ferrari, and you'll be dissapointed with the results- trust me on that one. It really comes down to the quality of development, engineering and production. Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by xyzpl
Ben, how much you guys charge for a baseline run on your dyno?
$125 with a/f readings. Typically this includes at least 3 runs.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who thinks chipping can give an N/A moto

Mach430, I don't have a recent one, the last one I did (a year ago) if I remember correctly my car had 276 RWHP. But I will be getting one a day or two before I do either mod first.
Make sure you do each mod seperately, so you can see the gains from both. Neither mod will affect eachother, so it does not matter which you do first.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I would very strongly recommend that anyone who thinks chipping can give an N/A

Make sure you do each mod seperately, so you can see the gains from both. Neither mod will affect eachother, so it does not matter which you do first.
Will follow the advise, thanks.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Has anybody finally been the ginnie pig and tried the powerchip from www.powerchipgroup.com ?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:04 PM

'01 CLK 55
Re: Re: underdrive pulleys

Any shop should be able to install the pulleys. You are only changing 3 pulleys and a belt. All they need is a pulley puller from Snap-On Tools. If they do not know how to do it, I would leave... We are available for tech support if the installer needs assistance.
Ben,

I'm sure this has been addressed and I missed your answer to this, but exactly which three pulleys are replaced by your kit?? Thanks.

Brian
Old 03-10-2003, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

originally posted by Brian Yee
I'm sure this has been addressed and I missed your answer to this, but exactly which three pulleys are replaced by your kit?? Thanks.
The power steering, water pump and alternator pulleys.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

originally posted by pocholin
Well, I'm debating on the pulleys or the chip, I'll let you know when I make up my mind.
Well, you know I have the pulleys....and they work!...so why don't you try the chip and let us know if we should jump and get it.