CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55 AMG suspension vs Brabus Sport suspension difference?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 CLK55 / W166 ML63
CLK55 AMG suspension vs Brabus Sport suspension difference?

Would the Brabus Sport suspension be much of an upgrade (in terms of handling, minimize body roll, etc) compared to the 'stock' AMG suspension on my 05 CLK55?

Also, how much will it lower the car by? I think the AMG suspension is already a tad lower than the non AMG suspension.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
Well, I'm sure there are members here more knowledgable than me who can reference comparative spring rates etc.
Having driven on both, I would say that the Brabus shock/spring set-up is significantly stiffer than AMG - you would notice the difference IMMEDIATELY.
With regard to sway bars, the difference in thickness/stiffness between AMG and stock is negligible. On the other hand, Brabus sways are the stiffest bars made for our cars.
Anyway, if you do a search, you will hopefully be able to compare things more objectively.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Originally Posted by reserved
Well, I'm sure there are members here more knowledgable than me who can reference comparative spring rates etc.
Having driven on both, I would say that the Brabus shock/spring set-up is significantly stiffer than AMG - you would notice the difference IMMEDIATELY.
With regard to sway bars, the difference in thickness/stiffness between AMG and stock is negligible. On the other hand, Brabus sways are the stiffest bars made for our cars.
Anyway, if you do a search, you will hopefully be able to compare things more objectively.
I didn't know the Brabus sway bar was thicker/stiffer than the AMG product. Do you have a part number? I note that the Brabus website no longer supports the w208 CLK.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
Originally Posted by neilbo75
I didn't know the Brabus sway bar was thicker/stiffer than the AMG product. Do you have a part number? I note that the Brabus website no longer supports the w208 CLK.
I don't have the part #, but Brabus NA can still get them for the W209. They don't keep them in stock anymore though, so they will be special order from Germany (and not inexpensive!).
And yes, the AMG suspension, including sway bars, is really a very conservative set-up.