CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Question of power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
And what size price?
Hello Jen_kenne,

They will be the same price as all the other AMS V8 performance headers. You may view the header portion on our website for more details regarding specs & price. thanks

~AMS~
Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 AM

99 model w210 e55 amg
where can i buy the pte cams? and alos does the single exhaust make more power than the dual? thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Hello Jen_kenne,

They will be the same price as all the other AMS V8 performance headers. You may view the header portion on our website for more details regarding specs & price. thanks

~AMS~
Don't be shy about posting your price. "M113 V8 Performance Headers = $1249"

$1,249 seems much more reasonable than some of the other vendors. Yours are made of stainless steel, while some of the others must be made of unobtainium or expensium.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Say it as it is JEN! Ha ha.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Don't be shy about posting your price. "M113 V8 Performance Headers = $1249"

$1,249 seems much more reasonable than some of the other vendors. Yours are made of stainless steel, while some of the others must be made of unobtainium or expensium.
Hello Jen,

Haha, Believe me we aren't shy about it. I just didn't want to hijack Pauls thread and turn it into AMS thread so I was just being polite. Thank you for your kind words, we agree

~AMS~
Old 08-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Hello Jen,

Haha, Believe me we aren't shy about it. I just didn't want to hijack Pauls thread and turn it into AMS thread so I was just being polite. Thank you for your kind words, we agree

~AMS~
I don't think that would have been hijacking - you are contributing.

I'm even considering offering my services as a product evaluator for AMS. Some real world assessments are important. I can send you a retainer letter, just P.M. me.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:25 AM

'05 CLK 55 AMG
Hey I want to get my car to at least 400hp.
The mods I had in mind were:
RAM intake
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Ram..._-16HP/549405/

and

Kleemann headers
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/k...2-p-56202.html

Any feedback?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by MatttCLKamg
Hey I want to get my car to at least 400hp.
The mods I had in mind were:
RAM intake
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Ram..._-16HP/549405/

and

Kleemann headers
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/k...2-p-56202.html

Any feedback?
1. Do you want 400 hp at the rear wheels?

2. What is is your budget for 400 hp?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by neilbo75
The custom tune (reflashing the ECU) already changes the car - makes it more aggressive if only marginally more powerful. Headers actually do add noticeable power. I had both done recently, one after the other (Kleemann products). Together these two mods add maybe 30 HP and cost about $100 per pony. It's not particularly cheap, but this is the best "bang for buck" you can do to our cars. But don't forget about improving traction - the best mod of all is a Quafie LSD.

I would rather take that 3-4k and put it towards a CL55. Don't really want to invest 30 percent of the car's value for 30hp.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 AM

Hey Guys,

Those ram air filters which Mattt posted up look good. Has anyone had any feed back from this product?

A few people have made their own by doing something similar, I was going to give it a try too.

I've only got 1 air port because I use an ML 55 air intake but this application should work I think.

What do you guys think?

AMS I need help with my intake setup, your views please!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
I would rather take that 3-4k and put it towards a CL55. Don't really want to invest 30 percent of the car's value for 30hp.
Hi Ubergeist,

I hear what your saying about the cars value. What ever mod we do to our cars whether its K&N filters or a 6.1 Brabus conversion we will never see a return on it.

When I bought my car 6 years ago I had a choice of purchasing a W209 too. I chose my car because it suited my taste. 5 years on I feel my car ageing a little so I chose to up date it slightly rather than get a newer model. Until I get bored with her (not any time soon) she's here to stay.

It's not about the money but the feeling you get. .
Old 08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
400 crank HP NA is relatively easy , 400 wheel HP is not, and is almost impossible without completely rebuilding the entire motor for high RPM power. I think instead of concentrating on HP you should put more of your emphasis on increasing & broadening the torque curve, that's where the real acceleration is. The key components to making high power are headers, high flow cats, crank pulley & customer tune software (preferably for high octane).

Paul, unfortunately those canisters on the top of your fuel rails are preventing you from running the OEM AMG airbox, which honestly is the best intake setup for your cars. Simply put in K&N filters and you are done. Is there any way to have your shop move/relocate those to a different location not so close to the fuel rail? if so then you can run OEM AMG airbox.

If you can't then the first thing I'd do is redo the intake pipe and get rid of that large ribbed intake connectors. Now would be a good time to upgrade to a turbo silicone elbow and move the HFM back to its original location. Then, run a silicone elbow and a 3.5" intake pipe all the way down to the front grille area. Its not the as good as the OEM AMG airbox imo, but it should be better than what you have now. You may have to change air filters since that one just takes up so much room it limits your options to what you can do.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
400 crank HP NA is relatively easy , 400 wheel HP is not, and is almost impossible without completely rebuilding the entire motor for high RPM power. I think instead of concentrating on HP you should put more of your emphasis on increasing & broadening the torque curve, that's where the real acceleration is. The key components to making high power are headers, high flow cats, crank pulley & customer tune software (preferably for high octane).

Paul, unfortunately those canisters on the top of your fuel rails are preventing you from running the OEM AMG airbox, which honestly is the best intake setup for your cars. Simply put in K&N filters and you are done. Is there any way to have your shop move/relocate those to a different location not so close to the fuel rail? if so then you can run OEM AMG airbox.

If you can't then the first thing I'd do is redo the intake pipe and get rid of that large ribbed intake connectors. Now would be a good time to upgrade to a turbo silicone elbow and move the HFM back to its original location. Then, run a silicone elbow and a 3.5" intake pipe all the way down to the front grille area. Its not the as good as the OEM AMG airbox imo, but it should be better than what you have now. You may have to change air filters since that one just takes up so much room it limits your options to what you can do.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 PM

'05 CLK 55 AMG
Yeah the RAM intake would be my next move because it looks pretty good and its not too expensive.
What's the difference between rwhp and just horsepower?
my budget is about 2000-2500.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks AMS.

I'm looking into both applications to see which will work best and talking to the LPG shop.

Good news by the way. The fully tunable LPG ECU is still available but I need a completly different wiring harness. That's now on my list! .

Mattt

The difference between horse power and rear wheel horse power is when an engine makes power some of it (in fact alot of it) is lost in the journey from the engine to wheels through various parts it travels through. What is made at the crank is far higher than that measured at the wheels. Hence the term crank power and rear wheel power.

Last edited by Pauljay; 08-24-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
UB, I doubt that hot-rodding can be financially justified. If spending a few thousand discretionary income dollars on speed equipment makes the owner feel good, then why not do it? For the most part, production cars are depreciating assets. Depreciating assets should be rented, while appreciating assets should be purchased.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by Pauljay
Hi Ubergeist,

I hear what your saying about the cars value. What ever mod we do to our cars whether its K&N filters or a 6.1 Brabus conversion we will never see a return on it.

When I bought my car 6 years ago I had a choice of purchasing a W209 too. I chose my car because it suited my taste. 5 years on I feel my car ageing a little so I chose to up date it slightly rather than get a newer model. Until I get bored with her (not any time soon) she's here to stay.

It's not about the money but the feeling you get. .
A positive return is unlikely but doable. Buy the part used, get your jollies, part-out the car, then sell stock. I have done this more than once. With very little money lost or in some cases a small profit.

I will never dump so much cash in a car that it would kill me to sell. Instead, I'll move up the next platform. For instance, sure SRT-4's can be made fast...but instead I parted out my bolt on srt-4 and a bought an 03 Cobra.

Do what you want, it's your car and your cash. And I enjoy other reads about what people are doing. I just choose to go down a different avenue.

UB, I doubt that hot-rodding can be financially justified. If spending a few thousand discretionary income dollars on speed equipment makes the owner feel good, then why not do it? For the most part, production cars are depreciating assets. Depreciating assets should be rented, while appreciating assets should be purchased.
It's not the few thousand dollars for speed that I have a problem with. It is the how much speed I get for that money. 4 grand for a half a second in ET, 3-4mph, is all but eh.

I can put that towards an E55 or CL55 and it will be faster stock than nearly all n/a CLK55's, and wouldn't cost that much more. Money well spent IMO.

What I am saying is seeking out the better/different platform. But that's what I do. That's all.

Been doing that for 42 cars and counting.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Hi Guys!

This thread has gone quiet so I'm giving you an update.

I've ordered all the bolt on' and had them fitted except one. Evosport has let me down with their underdrive pullies.

SEVEN!! Weeks ago I placed an order for them and only today they arrive in the Uk. I'm now waiting for them to be forwarded onto me by our internal mail system because Evosport won't deliver to my door!

People rubbish AMS but I ordered their headers and pulley at the same time, they arrived at my door within SIX! days .

Anyway first impressions of AMS products are they're well made. I should have taken pictures but because of waiting for Evosport (my car was off the road for a month because my idler pulley broke and I wanted to do all the work at the same time) I couldn't wait any longer and went ahead without the underdrives getting a garage to do the bolt ons. The headers took 6hrs to fit and the pulley took no time at all.

All I can say is what a BEAUTIFUL noise the headers make (sorry I don't have access to a camera yet). Low tone, purposeful but not too loud. Something that would turn your head if you heard it (judging by everyones reactions it's a positive thing). Alot of people took notice! Surprisingly the car is quieter with the headers (although it was fairly loud before).

The car feels SO smooth. I couldn't say how much power it makes but together with the pulley it's noticeable. Whether it's because I haven't driven the car for a while but she make high numbers quickly. AMS said to go easy for a couple of days to give the new header gaskets a few heat cycles to reduce the chances of warping which I'm doing.

Once the underdrives have been fitted and the car remapped I'll give an update, but for now I'm very pleased. Even if the hp was minimal that exhaust note (a bit like an SLRs deepness and an SL AMG Pace cars purposefulness as the revs rise) is great.

More to come...
Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Hey Paul,

AMS is glad to hear it met your level of satisfaction, thank you for the positive input & comments.

Regarding the headers, yes they do make quite a "glorious" noise unique to AMS headers (as many of our customers have noted) . However, it may be a bit too early to judge the sound since it can take up to 2 weeks of steady driving for the ECU to fully adapt to the headers so the sound should improve even more so from here. The gaskets merely need a few days to break in typically, its not an issue of warpage, its merely just the gaskets need a few heatcycles to fully set in.

It will be very interesting to hear your exhaust system since I've never heard a 5.5L AMG running LPG so I'm sure it sounds at least slightly different than us gasoline AMG guys. In combination with pulley & headers and LPG, I'm sure your car runs almost electric smooth I'm sure .

P.S. Can't wait to see what your car can do once they tune for 108 LPG octane .

Enjoy,
~AMS~

Last edited by AMS Performance; 09-19-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi AMS.

Thanks again for the fast shipping and direction of performance tuning to go in.

I've been talking to the LPG Guy and he thinks I won't see a big gain in hp. Simply because LPG burns slower than petrol so when the piston head is coming down after compression the LPG gas is still burning atleast half of it's travel down therefore not utilizing the small combustion chamber and losing power .

He said he could change the system over but the ECU I'm using follows the petrol injector timings anyway and if he asked for more fuel the Lambda sensors (I think it's spelt like that) would tell the ECU to lean the mixture off thereby again losing power .

I've noticed that race teams of alternative fuels use Bio fuels instead of LPG Maybe for the slow burn reason. I think it needs investigating more. If anyone knows anything about this please chime in.

More next week...
Old 09-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Hello Paul,

Glad to help out, let us know your impressions after a few weeks as well.

Its definitely worth a shot to advance the timing for higher octane. It should make a substantial difference and is definitely worth a shot. The plus side is you can probably run high flow primary cats with no problem and not throw a CEL light (just a thought), although its a very tight fit on the W208s.

Thanks
~AMS~
Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 PM

Hi Guys.

To finish this thread I've finally done all the mods. Unfortunately I've failed in my quest to reach 420hp .

I had my car dynoed today using the same DD dyno and operator. I had a few problems with traction and losing too much back pressure from deleting my cats .

The car made the same horse power overall as when I started which was 371 crank hp and it made 299.7 or something like that rwhp. I couldn't get a print out so I'm waiting on an email to post the results. The good news is the crank torque went up 25 lbs/ft to 426!

Anyway the tech said if I put back a pair of 200/300 cell cats I would gain 20hp straight away! So you know what my next mod is.

Anyway I'm pleased with the way my car drives and sounds.

A big Thanks to all who contributed and to AMS.

Ps, AMS headers are great I'll be writing a review on them in a week or so. I want to let my ECU adapt to the tune and maybe put some cats back on .

Here's a few pictures of the Tuners and their car park!!
Attached Thumbnails Question of power-28092009240.jpg   Question of power-28092009242.jpg   Question of power-28092009243.jpg   Question of power-28092009251.jpg   Question of power-28092009244.jpg  

Question of power-28092009245.jpg  

Last edited by Pauljay; 09-28-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Here's a couple more.
Attached Thumbnails Question of power-28092009246.jpg   Question of power-28092009247.jpg   Question of power-28092009248.jpg   Question of power-28092009249.jpg   Question of power-28092009250.jpg  

Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
You picked a hell of a shop to dyno at , very impressive cars to say the least, glad to see they made the right choice with their dyno.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 PM

'05 CLK 55 AMG
AMS,

do you make headers for the w209?
and if you do how much do they run for?

thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question of power