CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Question: Front Bumper Replacement Project (2001 clk 55 amg)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:47 PM
RBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk 55 AMG
Question: Front Bumper Replacement Project (2001 clk 55 amg)

Gents,

This is my first post here, but it seems like the right spot to ask a few questions. I'm a very happy owner of a 2001 clk 55 amg but sadly I need to replace the front bumper. Now for about a year I've been able to convince myself that it's not worth replacing (i.e. it's cosmetic, and it's not making me any slower, and if I really wanted to spend $2200 I'd go install a LSD). Don't get me wrong, I've always cared about fixing the bumper, I just haven't cared 2200 dollars worth ; )

Well it took about a year, but now the sight of a ****ed up front bumper is more then I care to deal with, and now I'm committed to fixing the problem. Here are my choices (and their accompanying questions).

The Facts:
-
The entire front bumper must be replaced (can't be fixed, etc)
- This is not an insurance job and must all come out of pocket
- 2001 clk 55 amg (w208) Mercedes Benz silver

Option 1:

Take the whole job to a reputable auto body shop and be done with it. Stock bumper install + paint. Last estimate was $2200 ($856 for the stock front bumper part alone).

Option 2:
Try to bring down the cost by purchasing the front bumper on my own, and then take it to an auto body shop for install + paint.

Purchasing Options: http://www.bodykits.com/Mercedes/CLK.../Front-Bumper/ (there are about 5 or so w208 ones)

And here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98---...01610005r19136

Now I have no idea as to the quality of these duraflex bumpers or if when they flex the paint will crack etc. But honestly I'm not a big fan of the stock FB (especially when I have to re-buy it vs. something else) so I've been looking around. I also am not all that sure how much this will really lower the cost of the overall project of if this would be worth it.

Summation:

I guess that's about it, I've been torn on the issue for a while now, and at this point I am just procrastinating. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,
RBS
Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 CLK430
I cant tell you which bumper will make you happier, only you can decide on that.

BUT...Why dont you save some cash and do the bumper install yourself and save the 1100 dollars!! I have taken my bumper off twice myself and it is VERY easy to. The only issue you will run into is with the Ebay Lorinser duraflex bumper. It may need a bit of bodywork to get the correct or proper fitment. These type of (aftermarket bumpers) almost always need serious body work to get the correct fitment around the lights and to screw in. The only Lorinser or Carlsson bumpers that wouldnt need any bodywork would be the original ones BUT if cash is the issue then that wont be an option as they are up there in price.

The OEM bumper for 856 plus 300 dollars for paint will only end up costing you under 1200 bucks but thats if you walk in with the bumper shell alone and you install. There is A DIY on this forum. If I remember correctly its only like 6-8 bolts and the bumper will easily come out.

Greg
Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM
RBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk 55 AMG
I'm always willing to pay if it's worth it. Do you know of any online places that I could see / cost the Lorinser or Carlsson front bumpers for a w208? I've only ever seen the w209 ones.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02clk55///2010GLK350
I have replaced oem bumper 3 times. It is very easy to do. There is a diy on one of the sites. Takes 1 hr to do. Post a want to buy and see if someone has an oem hanging around after they installed a mod bumper. It will be 1/4 the price of having someone do it w/ a new bumper. I would stick w/ original...just my opinion.