CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Cabrio 63CLK /w quad exhaust...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast
Cabrio 63CLK /w quad exhaust...?

I was thinking of bying a SL55, but recently i've noticed i need four seats, small they may be in a CLK but work they will... Now, before i start to sound like the green tard from star wars, to the point:

I want a cabrio, i want an AMG so my options are rather limited, lucky for me, cabrio 63 CLK looks to fit my wallet soon enough.
But please tell me im wrong, but i keep seeing the cabrio with a two tiny juice straws allmost hiding under the read bumper... While the coupe gets the bad@ss quad, and most likely, a better soundtrack.
So, am i wrong, or have i been seeing the wrong cars here?

If i am right, how much work would i need to give it that lovely quad? In my eyes, its the thing that tells "this aint no 200cdi"
Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 PM

2007 AMG CLK63
The AMG 63 cabrio came with two muffler tips peaking out the back(at least my 07 is that way). Looking under the car, there is plenty of room on the drivers side where the muffler runs under the car. There is very little room under the rest of the back due to a large plastic cover that covers a few metal mounts directly under the trunk (wonder if that is some of the extra stiffening required when they chopped the top off). It does not look like there is enough room to plumb a quad system. Stock the car is fairly quiet - it will definitely not bother you on a long trip since you really don't hear it. I would like to have a little more sound out of it. The back seats are very confortable for short trips, but only if you are short legged, or if the front seats are not all the way back.

Last edited by Greenzilla; 04-30-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
CLK63 cabriolet came w/dual tips
CLK63 coupe came w/quad.

Andy
Old 05-01-2010, 05:28 AM

Fast
My my... I smell a project coming.

Ok, i must addmit, i wasnt going to leave it just to it. The local dealer has gotten used to my odd requests by now and since i told em i was looking for a cabrio CLK63 the maintenance chief there mentioned
"we could get the 'black' body parts as spares, but dont know if they fit..."
I think i started drooling there...

Still, im fairly interested about the difference in the cabrio and coupe. I cant seem to find a picture about it, atleast a one that shows the rear of the cabrio underneath. Most likely im looking at custom made aftermarket pipes, so modding the car and the pipes wont be problem.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 AM

2007 AMG CLK63
Here are a couple pics of the underside of my '07. not on a lift, so a little difficult to get a good angle since I can't see the image on the viewfinder. The top pic shows the metal support that would likely block the path on the passenger side running to the back. Haven't looked at the underside of a coupe, so not sure how they run the plumbing on them.

Last edited by Greenzilla; 05-01-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:18 AM

Fast
Big thanks, that makes things much more clear...

By the looks of it, theres quite some modding needed. If we're talking about making a custom pipes, modding in a small opening in the space of the spare-tire could solve the issue. Removing the spare all together would make things allmost "easy"
Does the cabrio have a full size spare or the creepy smaller one? Quick phonecall turns out its not required to have spare in this country and modding one out wont change anything.

It also seems run off one cat as it is, swapping that in the place of the spare could work.
Or i'd just kick the spare out and put in a bit more freely flowing cat/s for more powah!

I just had sudden urge to get rid of that e420cdi parked up in my carage...

Well, looks like i need the actual car to fully "seal the deal" but, my sincere thx allready.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM

2007 AMG CLK63
there is no spare - you get a kit that includes tire sealent in a can that screws onto a tire pump that runs off the 12 volt acc plug. The black cover is also protecting a small 1.5 ft by 1.5 ft or so square additional trunk space that is located under the trunk deck. you probably could sacrifice some of that space and run the pipe through that area. Good luck on the project and on the car!

Last edited by Greenzilla; 05-01-2010 at 08:16 PM.