CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

bad day at the drag, any advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by ashutt
I have the Kleemann LSD and asked this question of an installer who has seen and installed both and he indicated the Quaife LSD was better as it had a much variations.
yea i love the quaife and recommend it to everyone. one time in the rain i turned off my traction and hammered it thinking it would start going sideways it kept it on a straight line and I fell in love with my car all over again
Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
Originally Posted by hami
I was going over the thread again and I had a question for you. Which would you recommend to install a Kleemann LSD or the Quaife? I have been trying to compare between them but was not able to find enough differences, I am not saying they are the same thing but I could not find a significant difference. I could be wrong though
As far as I know the Kleemann LSD is basically (if not) a phantom grip LSD and really isn't a true LSD where as the Quaife is a TRUE LSD, the Quaife is definitely better.

There is a company called Drexler that will make a custom LSD for you, they are located in Germany and are TOP notch. Be prepared to spend some serious $$$$ if you do go with a Drexler LSD...
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM

2005 SL600 by SPEEDRIVEN
I am not sure what the definition of a "true LSD" is but here is how Kleemann describes their product:
"The Kleemann Limited Slip Differential (LSD) is a 60% locking mechanism. Kleemann‘s LSD mechanically couples both drive wheels together. The wheels are always coupled, which doubles the effective contact patch to the road. This increases the threshold at which the wheels will start to spin dramatically. Unlike the OE solution, the wheels may never spin and ESP will not intervene, this is an active approach to limiting wheel spin. Given the appropriate tires, it is possible to launch a 600 hp vehicle from a dead stop with no wheel spin using the Kleemann LSD. Reductions of as much as 0.3 seconds to 100 km/h (60 mph) have been recorded."
Since I have a Kleemann‘s LSD in my car, I can tell you it allows me to "double the effective contact patch to the road."
Attached Thumbnails bad day at the drag, any advice?-kleemann-lsd-tracks-2.jpg   bad day at the drag, any advice?-kleemann-lsd-1.jpg  

Last edited by ashutt; 05-12-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 PM

2002 CLK55, 1993 190E, 1975 230C, 2007 E350
Driving versus equipment

From an old guy (50's, won't go any further than that) who has been draggin cars for many years (my first was a Fairlane that ran mid 9's with me driving), the technique of dragging is a learned thing. As you learn to drive a car better down the strip, you will learn what they do at the edge of traction better, and that is what will help your times more than anything else. I know my limits, as my "street" Mustang (520ci blown Promar engine) will run low 9's (best was 9.12 last summer) with me driving, and has dipped into the mid 8's with others driving it. My daughter tried driving it last summer, and ran a 10.2 (she's 16), but she also has spent time in karts, so she knows pretty well how to drive a car. Practice, and you will garner skill and knowledge. Your car is a beast of a Mercedes, and should be a fun thing for you to run for several years. I took my 55 out to a local event last night to watch some kids I know (some young man was there with a Super Snake Mustang - really fast street car), and ran a 1/8 to see how mine would do on concrete with no prep and only a minor gumbo run - I ran an 8.35@83 mph, should be good for about 13.1 1/4. That's about the limit of my ability in the car with the current tires on it. If you can dip below that with a similar car, you are a very good drag person - best way to get good is practice and examination of your runs. With times like yours and some practice, you will soon be killing me.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 AM

'05 CLK55, '04 CLK320
Hami how much did you pay for the quaife and how much was the install? I plan to go to d.c. sometime soon like I told you so I can do a launch at the drags for you once if you want. I ran a 13.1 stock as well
Old 06-12-2011, 03:36 PM

CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by Moedy
Hami how much did you pay for the quaife and how much was the install? I plan to go to d.c. sometime soon like I told you so I can do a launch at the drags for you once if you want. I ran a 13.1 stock as well
I paid 1050 for the parts and 1285 for installation

Originally Posted by lsboogy
From an old guy (50's, won't go any further than that) who has been draggin cars for many years (my first was a Fairlane that ran mid 9's with me driving), the technique of dragging is a learned thing. As you learn to drive a car better down the strip, you will learn what they do at the edge of traction better, and that is what will help your times more than anything else. I know my limits, as my "street" Mustang (520ci blown Promar engine) will run low 9's (best was 9.12 last summer) with me driving, and has dipped into the mid 8's with others driving it. My daughter tried driving it last summer, and ran a 10.2 (she's 16), but she also has spent time in karts, so she knows pretty well how to drive a car. Practice, and you will garner skill and knowledge. Your car is a beast of a Mercedes, and should be a fun thing for you to run for several years. I took my 55 out to a local event last night to watch some kids I know (some young man was there with a Super Snake Mustang - really fast street car), and ran a 1/8 to see how mine would do on concrete with no prep and only a minor gumbo run - I ran an 8.35@83 mph, should be good for about 13.1 1/4. That's about the limit of my ability in the car with the current tires on it. If you can dip below that with a similar car, you are a very good drag person - best way to get good is practice and examination of your runs. With times like yours and some practice, you will soon be killing me.
thx for the advice yea im trying to figure out when to ease on the acceleration and when to hammer it
btw what would be a good set of street tires? and what size dou run in the back i currently have 265s on the rear