CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Xenon Bulb Connector Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 01:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
W209 Clk55 W140 S500
Xenon Bulb Connector Problem

I made a post awhile ago talking about my burnt bulb connector so I finally ordered an aftermarket bulb connector like this one

And received it yesterday. I cut the two wires from the ignitor and the aftermarket bulb connector and connected them.

After that, I decided to test them. Everything worked but after while like 3 minutes or less of driving, the right xenon would go out. This happened every time I started the car and started driving. Help? Did I attach the wires wrong?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500 SP & C 280
I don't think you can wire like that because the wire from the igniter to the bulb holder are well filled with epoxy and i think the epoxy are there for some reason you can try connect the wire tighter if it not work i can sell you my use ignter and bulb holder that I'm not use it look like your the al no. 1 307 329 083 but it's interchangable with many model here the pics. I selling it for $50

Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 PM

W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
Originally Posted by vincesgfv
I don't think you can wire like that because the wire from the igniter to the bulb holder are well filled with epoxy and i think the epoxy are there for some reason you can try connect the wire tighter if it not work i can sell you my use ignter and bulb holder that I'm not use it look like your the al no. 1 307 329 083 but it's interchangable with many model here the pics. I selling it for $50

The epoxy that is in the ignitor is acalled "Potting Compound". The reason it is used is to protect the components from humidity, corrosives and to isolate the components from shock and vibration.

Get rid of the wire nuts and tape...your connections show that you are a novice in electronic assembly practice.
Solder the wires together using a low wattage soldering iron, (no more than 60 watts) using a good rosin core solder, then remove the remaining flux by cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, then cover the splices with heat shrink tubing.
The hook up you have is okay for your light fixture in your home, but NFG for sensative electronics.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM

W209 Clk55 W140 S500
Originally Posted by HCUBED
The epoxy that is in the ignitor is acalled "Potting Compound". The reason it is used is to protect the components from humidity, corrosives and to isolate the components from shock and vibration.

Get rid of the wire nuts and tape...your connections show that you are a novice in electronic assembly practice.
Solder the wires together using a low wattage soldering iron, (no more than 60 watts) using a good rosin core solder, then remove the remaining flux by cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, then cover the splices with heat shrink tubing.
The hook up you have is okay for your light fixture in your home, but NFG for sensative electronics.

Thanks, I'll try it today and see how it turns out. I appreciate your help.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:22 PM

W209 Clk55 W140 S500
It didn't work, It still turned off. If you'd like I can take a picture of my soldering job.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:13 AM

W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
If your solder job has the same quality of the wire nut/tape job, I don't need to see it.
You mentioned that your bulb connector was burned.....it was burned for a reason.
I suspect ignitor failure.
Replace the bulb connector/ignitor assembly...