CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

buying a car long-distance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
buying a car long-distance

hi guys,
looking to buy a car in NY (from CA), and they're supposed to ship tmrw.
what's the best way to pay for this and try to have some protection?
this is an indep used car dealer in long island, and they have 50+ cars and a website so i'm thinking they're reputable?
obviously paying them via wiring funds is easy, but what's the best way for me to get protection? i asked him to email me the sales contract to review, and i'm going to google a bit. any advice from people will be appreciated.
thx.
Patrick
Old 11-15-2010, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
##

1. Fly up next weekend, perform the transaction in person, inspect/drive the car, do the paperwork in person, get your copies, watch them load the transporter, get your paperwork from the transporter direct. Fly home with pc of mind.

2. Have a local friend do this up there.... or MB world member check it out for you.

3. google check
Old 11-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cl
If you where paying for the car via a loan from the bank then they could check it out to make sure you aint getting scammed,my bank did with my car.
They checked the dealership liscense #,ect,made phone calls to make sure this wasnt some scam being run out of someones basement.
Otherwise you could have an escrow do the deal for you...
Old 11-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Not quite as long distance as you, but I did buy my CLK from a guy in New York. I saw the car online, and called to inquire. I called just a day after they received it, and I told them to hold it for me. I told them I'd be coming up the following week. Bought a one way train ticket that night. I drove the car in person, and then took it to a mechanic. He did a full inspection plus a compression test. The car passed all with good marks. Did the paperwork in person, shook the dealer's hand, drove it home myself.

I would definitely show up in person, and see the car. Have it inspected, and do the paperwork face to face. A drive to Cali may be a bit long with a new car, but if it's mechanically sound it should not be a problem. Alternately, show up to do all the above, then have the car shipped home.

Things to look out for:

-The dealer worked with me on price, and didn't charge NY state sales tax as I'd be paying that to Maryland when I registered it.

-He also was up front with me regarding the condition of the car, and let me have it inspected without question. No hassling me with the results of his own 'inspection'.

-Be sure if you drive it home that upon purchase you have immediate insurance coverage. My company gave me a 30 day grace period of coverage from date of purchase before I started an official policy for the car with them.

-Have fun. They're awesome cars, and taken care of will put a smile on your face for decades.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
I bought 2 car sight-unseen........ 1 was a z06 it was awesome..... 1 was a mustang it was a rust bucket....... good luck.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
My friend from NY went to check it out personally and test drive it. Also, the local MB dealer did PPI and it looked good. Shipping is going to run $1,100 for insured trucker - takes 6 days. Wish me luck - will post pix soon.
PL