CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

wet windows when roll down?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
wet windows when roll down?

hi guys,

do you know what causes the windows to go down dry, but then come up wet?
this happens after a car wash or it rains. it's already dry outside, but when i put the windows down and up, it comes up very wet/spotty - and the water spots are dirty.

does the door panel need to come off and everything cleaned? this is for all 4 windows on the CLK, and i've never had this issue before on prior cars...esp dirty water spots - and usually only for the first hour or 2, but not 12 hours later when it still comes up spotty.

thx all.

Patrick
Old 12-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
hi guys,

this happens after a car wash or it rains. it's already dry outside, but when i put the windows down and up, it comes up very wet/spotty - and the water spots are dirty.

does the door panel need to come off and everything cleaned? this is for all 4 windows on the CLK, and i've never had this issue before on prior cars...esp dirty water spots - and usually only for the first hour or 2, but not 12 hours later when it still comes up spotty.

thx all.

Patrick
You'll probably find it's the rubber seals at the base of the windows that harbour water.
More exactly, the inside of the seals are lined with a felt, which is probably obsorbing water during the car wash.
Nothing to worry about.

The inside of the door and door panel will be fine.
No need to dry those areas.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK63AMG cab., 2014 G550
Originally Posted by bzliteyear
hi guys,

thx all.

Patrick
As stated above, it is from the felt "gasket" that seals the area between the door frame and the glass. Unfortunately there is no avoiding the issue short of allowing the felt to completely dry before opening the window. Of course this also means not to lower the top, since the first stage of the process lowers the windows. Can't imagine that this area would stay wet for 12 hours, perhaps a blower or compressed air used on the felt would help.