CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK 430 vs CLK55 AMG - Things to watch for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 528i
CLK 430 vs CLK55 AMG - Things to watch for?

Howdy all, I'm new here.

Prior owner of a bunch of BMWs (E12 528i restoration, E28 535is) and Audis (200 Turbo, 90 Coupe Quattro 20v).

Have been spying the rapid depreciation on MBs and intrigued by the CLK 430/CLK55 AMG (98-02). Finally test drove the CLK55 back to back against CLK 430, and oddly, I find the 430 more "daily" driveable (for me), the AMG was kind of fatiguing and slightly twitchy (might have been my leadfoot, lol).

Big plusses - lots of interchage parts between CLKs means good prospects for basic parts (cosmentic/etc). Negatives - worries are AMG?MBs stance on major parts, verification of maintenance history, eletrical reliabilty, and some quality issues (squeaks and rattles in the AMG).

Initial thought was go for a higher mileage 430 and drive it for a year, then flip out of it, but checking out the AMG has me thinking that values *have* to be bottoming out now 10 years out, so a good AMG should give a decent 5-7 year window near flat deprec. The distinctive W208 body style, I think is way more classic than the newer stuff, and will probably hold it's own for quite some time now. I plan on using a couple of yelp reviewed indie shops (NO dealers), and doing the balance DIY.

So, in prep for a purchase, big questions:
* What are the (your) HORROR stories of CLK/AMG W208 ownership?
* What stuff should I watch for (buyer's checklist)
* I've heard about MB VMI reports from the dealer - is that easy to get without hassle from the dealer?
* I'm seeing mileage between 100k-200k, so owners seem to be keeping these for a while, what's the outlier for engine/tranny replacement?
* I'm a manual transmission guy, so I'm leery automatics - what's your reliability/maint schedule experience on the automatics?

From what I've read around here, you all seem to be having a good time with the cars, so I take that as a good sign :^)

Thanks,
Michael