CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Need help please...loud noise/vibration in Reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk55
Need help please...loud noise/vibration in Reverse

Ok, I have a 2002 clk55 with 115000 miles and haven't changed the transmission oil since I got it(52000) because I got different suggestions from different people. One person said don't one said do, so I never did.

Anyways, right now it's pretty cold here in Cali, in the mornings whenever I first start the car everything is normal but when I put it to "REVERSE" and hold the brake the car vibrates and you can feel it, it's like I have a very loud exhaust or something. It doesn't move from left to right and the RPM doesn't change or any of that stuff. It sounds like something within, the mounts seem to be ok and I don't think that would cause the vibration since it doesn't in park or drive. It only does it when it is cold and for the next start it goes away until the car cools down again, and the cycle just basically repeats.

I took it to one mechanic, he couldn't replicate the problem, obviously, cuz the car was warm but he said it might be from the transmission oil pump, so I would like to get your thoughts on this before doing anything. Also, how much do you think it would cost the replace a pump, lets say that is the problem, I'm guessing pretty expensive...
Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
I would look at your engine/transmission mounts again man. 115k miles and "the mounts seem to be ok." Take a closer look and see if you see fluid leaking from around the engine mount's area.

You can hear it vibrate and feel it vibrate??
Old 11-14-2011, 01:00 PM

clk55
Originally Posted by 400HP55
I would look at your engine/transmission mounts again man. 115k miles and "the mounts seem to be ok." Take a closer look and see if you see fluid leaking from around the engine mount's area.

You can hear it vibrate and feel it vibrate??
Yes I can feel it and hear it, it's pretty noticeable...I will check the mounts again but y would it do it only in reverse? I mean it's pretty loud, doesn't seem like mount problem...and also y would the vibration/noise go away after the car is worm. Mounts don't usually act this way, everything else is normal, there is no clicking noise when gasing the car or anything like that. I hope it is the mounts, at least I won't spend I don't know how much...thanks for your help
Old 11-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Mob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00' CLK 55 AMG
I have the exact same issue with my 2000 CLK 55. The whole car vibrates badly when in reverse.. Doesn't feel like anything is seriously wrong.. Just literally a massive vibration going through the whole car.

Only happens in reverse... My first thought was engine mounts along with transmission mounts, I have yet to have them checked out.

I have had the car a full year and this has only just happened so I think its time for new mounts.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 PM

clk55
Originally Posted by Mob
I have the exact same issue with my 2000 CLK 55. The whole car vibrates badly when in reverse.. Doesn't feel like anything is seriously wrong.. Just literally a massive vibration going through the whole car.

Only happens in reverse... My first thought was engine mounts along with transmission mounts, I have yet to have them checked out.

I have had the car a full year and this has only just happened so I think its time for new mounts.
Exactly like that but only when it's cold...do mounts change under different weather conditions? Like I said I hope it's the mounts but the mechanic said might be the transmission oil pump, which is kinda scary...