CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Another MB & CLK55 newbie with questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Another MB & CLK55 newbie with questions.

Hi, I, too, am a MB newbie. I got an 04 CLK55 AMG Cab (pre facelift W209) 2 months ago & have been lurking around on several boards trying to learn as much as I can before I start modding. I have several questions about performance & audio upgrades. So, please excuse my "newbness" & a BIG thank-you, in advance.
I have a limited budget, so I want to make the most cost effective upgrades to get the most bang for the buck. This is just for the street, I won't be going to the drag strip.

Performance mods:
1) Stay N/A with headers, exhaust, ECU tune etc., do an CL55/E55 S/C engine swap (seems to be less $$ than an aftermarket S/C with a stronger block & more hp potential) or a rear mounted turbo?
2) If staying N/A or turbo'd: what style headers: shorty's, mid-length or long tube? 100, 200 or 300 cell cats? Realistically, how much rwhp will I lose if I stay single exhaust (with the headers) until I can afford dual exhaust? How difficult is it to install the headers myself?
3) ECU tune: Eurocharged, Kleeman, Renntech, others.? They all seem to give about the same results, but very different costs. Which one do you recommend? With an ECU tune, do I really need a Sprint Booster? For the street, are TCU tunes really worth the $$?
4) EVO underdrive pulley kit? Again, worth the $$?
5) Larger injectors? If so, what size?
6) 160/185 degree thermostat? Any benefits on a N/A engine? If so, which one?
7) I have ordered the AFE Pro Dry S air filters. So, I have at least done that!
8) Suspension mods will have to wait for budget to recover.

Audio mods (I have the CD based Nav with the DB2 fiber optic system, so upgrading is not fun or inexpensive!). I would like to put in an aftermarket Nav unit with Bluetooth & iPod/iPhone audio streaming. Plus, eventually, better speakers & sub.
1) What brand head unit is the easiest to integrate? I know I have to use PAC-Audio interfaces for the steering wheel & Bose amp.
2) In a Cabriolet, what are my best options for amps & subs - i.e. size, placement, enclosure, etc. (there's not a lot of room in the trunk)?
3) Am I better off getting the EIS Argos & not worry about trying to install an aftermarket head unit?

Body mods:
1) Front splitter: I have seen the ones for the regular & news CLK's. What is available for the AMG or will the others work?

Again, thanks for being patient with a newb & thanks for the help.

Richard
Old 01-23-2012, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Euro Cars Only
Welcome!

A lot of your questions could be answered using the search but I'll give you my opinion

Most of us go for exhaust, ecu tune and then headers.
Dunno how much an engine swap is in terms of parts and labor but a SC imo is safer by the way there are no turbo's for our cars only SC.
Kleeman headers are fine but many argue MPH make better LT headers.
Renntech is just overpriced imo but only thing I would consider is their carbon fiber airbox but not their ecu tune, i think eurocharged is just fine.
I still havent installed my sprint booster so I have no idea.

For the audio you'll find plenty of info and answers using the search function.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Welcome to the forum! You'll have to post some pics. In regards to mods here's a good thread from the C55 crowd (of course applicable to the CLK55):
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...arts-list.html

Last edited by wawy; 01-23-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
My car had a couple mods on it when I bought it, and was some of the appeal of it. If my car did not have mods, I would have bought the MBH LT headers.

In my opinion, if you want to stay N/A, and sounds like you should since you are on budget.

MBH LT headers if you can swing it, if not get Kleemann mid lengths.
Renntech Airbox - 3 independent dynos showing gains for this box.
Tune - For the MBH i'd go Eurocharged, Kleemann, I'd match a Kleemann tune
High flow 200-300 cell cats
X-pipe
Quafie LSD

Depending on options you take, look to spend around 3-5k for everything.

I plan on adding an x pipe with high flows and the Quafie in the spring. 12's NA hopefully.

I cannot recommend the underdrive pullies, as cost per benefit doesn't seem there.

Last edited by Nachtsturm; 01-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Thanks for the replies. I now have a good idea of what mods I want to do.

I have the AFE Pro Dry S filters & I'm going to start with the Kleemann headers, high flow cats, x-pipe and ECU tune. Then, save for suspension mods & the Kleeman S/C.

Just a couple more questions.
1) Sprint booster: needed/worth it?
2) TCU tune: needed/worth it?

I will post progress & pics. Thanks again for the info. You guys rock!