CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Dumb accident & rear suspension damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 E55 AMG
Dumb accident & rear suspension damage

I have an '04 CLK55 Cabriolet with Klee headers & 19" wheels. I did a dumb thing the other day (turned ESP off & during a power on oversteer turn to the right, I clipped a curb with the left rear wheel). It wasn't a hard hit, but still bent the lower control arm, tie rod & at least the camber/thrust arm. Plus, the steering angle sensor was affected & the steering wheel is canted 14 - 20 degrees to the left & I have an ESP malfunction.
The shop says that the rear subframe has to be dropped to replace the thrust/camber arm. My questions are these: 1) does the subframe have to be dropped to replace ANY of the "arms" & 2) what could the ESP malfunction be - speed sensor in wheel or something more?)
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
Originally Posted by rawdvm
I have an '04 CLK55 Cabriolet with Klee headers & 19" wheels. I did a dumb thing the other day (turned ESP off & during a power on oversteer turn to the right, I clipped a curb with the left rear wheel). It wasn't a hard hit, but still bent the lower control arm, tie rod & at least the camber/thrust arm. Plus, the steering angle sensor was affected & the steering wheel is canted 14 - 20 degrees to the left & I have an ESP malfunction.
The shop says that the rear subframe has to be dropped to replace the thrust/camber arm. My questions are these: 1) does the subframe have to be dropped to replace ANY of the "arms" & 2) what could the ESP malfunction be - speed sensor in wheel or something more?)
Thanks for your help.
Yes ESP Malfunction could be as simple as a wheel speed sensor, abs sensor or a break in a line. No subframe does not need dropped to replace an arm. If you want I can post a diagram of suspension from Mitchells Ondemand 5. Check out Autohausaz.com for parts there fairly priced...or genuinemercedesparts.com