CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

How much would you pay for a new 2002 Cab?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2003 | 02:26 PM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
How much would you pay for a new 2002 Cab?

Just out of curiosity ...

I found a babied one-owner white 2002 CLK55 Cab with only 3400+ miles on it, for an asking price of $62,999. Not a bad deal, but I don't like white on a Mercedes! (I'm not sure how much is left on the warranty - I suspect at least 3 of the 4 years still remain, if not more.)

Shortly thereafter, I stumbled upon a brand-new, never-been-sold, only-has-100-odd-test-drive miles 2002 Cab. (And it's not white )

Now comes the quandary: Invoice on the 2002 Cab was $73470. The asking price on this "new" one is $73500. They're basically saying that they want invoice, and you're getting the destination charge ($665) and and added CD changer (no phone though; invoice $925) for $30.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking, as soon as this thing drives off the lot it's a nearly 2-year-old car, and the value plummets. And (modulo the color issue!) for a mere 3350-odd miles more, the cost drops $10,500. That's a heckuva chunk of change in my book. (I could get a new nose with the savings. LOL )

Armchair CLK55 buyers, what do you think?
Old 07-07-2003 | 05:42 PM

No longer car shopping...
too high for the new one.

Here's some info you might be able to use. I've been watching the 2002 CLK55 cab sales for a while now and am noticing a disturbing trend (downward). I say disturbing because I am trying to sell my '01 CLK55 and not getting quite the offers I had expected for it. I have seen the CLK55 cab going for high 50's ($58,900 & $59,600) in two recent sales. Of course, the dealers are asking far more but you can tell when it's an individual and they go at those numbers. Most have had under 10K miles on them. The one you found for $62K could be a great deal. Good luck. PS - If you decide that your interest in the faster coupe model let me know as the '01 CLK55 listed in my signature is available for $45K.
Old 07-07-2003 | 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
If it were my money, I'd get the white one. Before long, you'll be wanting to upgrade to a W209 and will wish you had that ten grand back
Old 07-07-2003 | 06:28 PM

2002 CLK55 Cabriolet (DEAD: 1989 300E, 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible)
Thanks for the replies.

I'm (personally) only interested in low-mileage W208 CLK55 Cabs - not coupes, and not the W209 - I despise the cosmetic/styling changes they made to the W209! Sorry, but I'm a W208 man all the way

So I've got a "$73k is too high" and a "I'd buy the white one instead" - anyone else? If you saw a new/unsold 2002, what price would you pay? Or what limit would you put on it, whatever their actual asking price is?

(I wish I could buy the white one and have Mercedes do a re-spray in black, then I'd be happy )
Old 07-07-2003 | 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
I would go for the NDABUNKA's coupe for around 40k.

Here is the rationale -

Why the CLK Coupe is preferred over the Cabriolet:

1. In Florida the sunroof is ideal. The CAB would be a carcinogen.

2. Coupe is more quiet than cab, enhances enjoyment of music.

3. Coupe looks sportier, classier & purer.

4. Coupe offers more protection in an accident.

5. Coupe has more torsion stiffness.

6. Coupe profile is sleeker looking (than the Cabrio top up).

7. Painted roof is easier to keep clean.

8. Coupe is probably easier to heat and cool.

9. Coupe is harder to break into.

10. Coupe top will not deteriorate over time as a soft top will.

11. Coupe is more economical - it is 360 lbs lighter:

CLK 55 AMG Coupe curb weight 3,485 lb/1,580 kg
CLK 55 AMG Cabriolet curb weight 3,845 lb/1,745 kg
Old 07-07-2003 | 11:14 PM

Talking Thanks for the vote Karl

Thanks for the vote Karl, but I think this guy is focused on the cabs. If I had the cash I might have gone that way as well as originally I was shopping for a 430 cab when I found this clk55 coupe for about the same money and the car was a year newer. Still love the car and will continue to market it knowing that sometimes it can take a while to find the right buyer (Took me 12 months to sell my 26' formula performance boat but when I did I got 98% of the cash I had put into it 3 years prior). Don't think the car will take quite that long. I am willing to entertain offers if he does decide to consider mine...
Old 07-08-2003 | 12:11 AM

Yes, I am focussed on the Cabs.

Someone in Florida that likes coupes more is obviously going to have a different opinion. (e.g.: Florida - cab BAD. Southern California - cab GOOD.)

(I completely disagree with the "3. Coupe looks sportier, classier & purer." assessment. To each his own...)

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on what choice *I* should make. On the one hand, buying the car brand-new is desirable - no/low mileage, full warranty, knowing it's only been mine, etc. etc. But the premium isn't worth it - or is it? I understand why the dealership wants to at least break even on it and not lose money. But when that means their asking price is $10,500 more than a car that only has 3400+ more miles on it, then you gotta step back and give it a lot more thought, I reckon.

There really isn't an obvious answer to me, so that's why I was soliciting opinions from you CLK55 owners. (Classic Libran waffling on my part, lol )

Good luck selling your coupe, ndabunka!
Old 07-08-2003 | 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally posted by Riot Nrrrd
Yes, I am focussed on the Cabs.

I'm looking for advice on what choice *I* should make.

I think I am hearing you. Question is.....do you want a "new" cab or will you settle for used? If used, then keep looking for the color combination you desire.

OTOH, you will likely not have any more opportunities to get into a brand new 208-chassis cab......this may be your last opportunity for a new one. Will you hang onto the car for 10 years? Keep in mind the dealer has about 7% to work with on MSRP....possibly a little more.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2003 | 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Chappy
I think I am hearing you. Question is.....do you want a "new" cab or will you settle for used?
I'm OK with either a "new" one or a very low mileage used one, I guess ... but the idea of a brand-new one is very appealing.
If used, then keep looking for the color combination you desire.
Good point ...
OTOH, you will likely not have any more opportunities to get into a brand new W208-chassis cab......this may be your last opportunity for a new one.
Right ... that's exactly what I was thinking!
Will you hang onto the car for 10 years?
If not more! My present car is a 1989 300E ... part of my dilemma is that a part of my brain keeps saying Why are you trying to buy a new car when your present car still runs like a top, and it hasn't even hit 150,000 miles yet, and it's never left you by the side of the road?
Keep in mind the dealer has about 7% to work with on MSRP....possibly a little more.
Do you mean MSRP or Invoice? MSRP on a new 2002 CLK55 Cab is like $81,500 ... invoice is like $73,500 ... looks like a 10% pad to me.

I was thinking about offering $65k and my 300E as a trade-in ... too high? too low? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I think you're on my wavelength Chappy!
Old 07-08-2003 | 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I'm OK with either a "new" one or a very low mileage used one, I guess ... but the idea of a brand-new one is very appealing.
Good point ...
Right ... that's exactly what I was thinking!
If not more! My present car is a 1989 300E ... part of my dilemma is that a part of my brain keeps saying Why are you trying to buy a new car when your present car still runs like a top, and it hasn't even hit 150,000 miles yet, and it's never left you by the side of the road?
Do you mean MSRP or Invoice? MSRP on a new 2002 CLK55 Cab is like $81,500 ... invoice is like $73,500 ... looks like a 10% pad to me.

I was thinking about offering $65k and my 300E as a trade-in ... too high? too low? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I think you're on my wavelength Chappy!

Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking MSRP (and I should know better!!). The dealer is already selling at a loss at $73K.

Here's what I did....I knew I wanted a 208-chassis CLK55 way back in November 1999 when I first heard they were coming to the U.S. Prior to that, I had lusted after the E55. I have a '91 300CE that I have as my daily transportation. I could have saved $10-15K or more buying pre-owned as these cars have depreciated quickly, due to numerous factors (economy being the largest factor)....but I ended up buying new. In fact, I had to get the car shipped in from out of state cause no dealer in Georgia had one at the time of my search.

Bottom line....I am GLAD I bought new. There are NO ISSUES with the car and I plan to keep for 10+ years. I figure that's less than $1K per year in 'peace of mind'. If this was not a high-performance car, I would be more likely to go pre-owned (hell, my CE I bought pre-owned). I just didn't want someone else's abuse, neglect, whatever on my 'dream car'. I have changed the oil (on my dime) twice in just the first 4,000 miles. I will continue to over-maintain this car by choice. I've had my '02 CLK55 for just over a year now and it is still perfect. Since I don't drive it that much, I really appreciate and enjoy the power and style each and every time I get in.

I recommend you keep the 300E (if you have space for it) and get the new CLK55 Cabrio. See how low you can get the dealer to go.

However, if you plan on using the cabrio as your daily driver, buy used, be patient and find the one you want. In either case, I would recommend finding an example with an MB extended warranty.

FWIW, the W124 is (IMO) an overall better car than the W208.....but they are two different "animals". GET THE TOY and have fun. Enjoy

Last edited by Chappy; 07-08-2003 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2003 | 11:23 AM

I recommend you keep the 300E (if you have space for it) and get the new CLK55 Cabrio. See how low you can get the dealer to go.

However, if you plan on using the cabrio as your daily driver, buy used, be patient and find the one you want. In either case, I would recommend finding an example with an MB extended warranty.

FWIW, the W124 is (IMO) an overall better car than the W208.....but they are two different "animals". GET THE TOY and have fun. Enjoy
Awesome! Just the type of advice I was looking for - from another "old"(ish) W124 owner!!!

Yes, I've got room - 2 car garage and concrete in front of it (and to the side) that's enough for 2 more cars (tight squeeze). I inherited my Mom's 1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible but I'd rather have the CLK55 in the garage and keep either the 300E or the Caddy as the "daily driver" (I'd prefer to keep the 300E, as the Caddy is a "boat"! But I suspect it's easier to use the 300E as the trade-in - assuming they'd take it, that is.).

Thanks Chappy!!!
Old 07-08-2003 | 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG

Thanks Chappy!!!
Keep the 300E and when the shocks start leaking, put on a sportline suspension. Awesome!
Old 07-08-2003 | 10:13 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
For$10k I think you should save yourself that plus the inevitable deprecation, and go pre-owned. If the cab you purchase has low miles, in all likelyhood it was pampered.
Old 07-11-2003 | 10:31 AM

I found your car (Black on Black Cab 55)

Riot - I may have found you a car. In the local Charlotte paper there is a Black-on-Black CLK55 cab. It's only got 871 total miles (according to the ad) so I'm sure the guy is wanting a pretty penny for it but just thought I'd throw the phone number on here in the event that your interested. 910-864-5000 Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2003 | 12:46 PM

Re: I found your car (Black on Black Cab 55)

Originally posted by ndabunka
Riot - I may have found you a car. In the local Charlotte paper there is a Black-on-Black CLK55 cab. It's only got 871 total miles (according to the ad) so I'm sure the guy is wanting a pretty penny for it but just thought I'd throw the phone number on here in the event that you're interested. 910-864-5000. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Wow, interesting - thanks ndabunka! So is this a private party sale? You said "ad" ... but I don't know if that's a dealer ad or a private party ad ...
AnyWho says that's "General Trading Co., Fayetteville, NC 28314" (gee, there's a real specific name for you ... "General Trading Co." ... lol )

Thanks,

Riot Nrrrd™
Old 07-13-2003 | 12:07 AM

Talking No problem, hope it works out for you!

It's a priate advertisement in a local paper. He's not a car dealer. He's also got an S600 (new one) as well as a G55 (He's also selling). Nice guy. I gave him the info for this forum so maybe he will also show up here online. Good luck with the toy!
Old 07-16-2003 | 05:57 PM

Update

Talked to the guy in NC. Bought the car for his wife, but she's afraid to have anything happen to it so she never drives it! He's put what few miles are on it just to make sure it gets driven.

Now comes the fun part - he's asking the same price for his as the "new" one I've been talking about. His is loaded - has the COMAND package, the V60 Timeport phone/CD changer, Designo package, the works. (The "new" one is base model plus the CD changer only.)

The one downside to his, of course, is that there's only 2 years and 8 months left in the warranty (plus the cost to ship the car across the country, of course), compared to 4 years on the new one.

Decisions, decisions! Oh, why did I have to be born a Libra ...
Old 07-16-2003 | 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
FWIW
Negotiate a better price on the optioned up car. At the end of the day you'll end up with better value for money and a car that will put a smile on your face for years to come.
Old 07-17-2003 | 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Re: Update

Talked to the guy in NC. Bought the car for his wife, but she's afraid to have anything happen to it so she never drives it! He's put what few miles are on it just to make sure it gets driven.

Now comes the fun part - he's asking the same price for his as the "new" one I've been talking about. His is loaded - has the COMAND package, the V60 Timeport phone/CD changer, Designo package, the works. (The "new" one is base model plus the CD changer only.)

The one downside to his, of course, is that there's only 2 years and 8 months left in the warranty (plus the cost to ship the car across the country, of course), compared to 4 years on the new one.

Decisions, decisions! Oh, why did I have to be born a Libra ...

Did he purchase the extended warranty?
Old 07-17-2003 | 10:52 AM

Re: Re: Update

Did he purchase the extended warranty?
Uh ... there's an Extended Warranty?!?!?

He didn't mention anything like that ... I just assumed there was only the standard(?) 4-year warranty, and he's had the car for 16 months ...

He did say he was willing to have the car Starmark certified ... dunno how much that costs, or if he expects me to pay for that ... lol
Old 07-17-2003 | 12:02 PM

Get him to cover the StarMarfk costs

Riot - That guy has a "relationship" with the parent company and he said he can in fact "get it Starmarked". He can probably also do that around the same price (If he wants to sell it, let him cover those costs in order to get the deal). The Starmarking does a number of things. For one, it can be used to cover the car for up to 100K miles (Depends on when the first time you use it after the original warranty expires) and it's "transferrable" which could add a LOT of value to you in the future should/when you decide to sell it. Also, doesn't this NC car have more features and is in the color you wanted?
Old 07-17-2003 | 12:16 PM

Re: Get him to cover the StarMark costs

Originally posted by ndabunka
Riot - That guy has a "relationship" with the parent company [...]
Not sure what you mean here ... the "parent company" as in Mercedes-Benz North America? He's in Vegas this week ... I just thought maybe he was just a wealthy high-roller ... lol
Also, doesn't this NC car have more features and is in the color you wanted?
Yup. Just wish there wasn't the overhead of cross-country shipping to offset that they're both the same price ...

On a related note, has anyone here purchased an out-of-state vehicle before? I assume you don't have to pay local sales tax to the seller; but once you get the car into your own state, do you have to pay the local sales tax amount as "use tax" to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles when you go to register/title it? I've never bought an out-of-state car before ...

Last edited by Riot Nrrrd; 07-17-2003 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2003 | 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Check with the CA Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Each State has different regs/laws.

CA is particularly sticky when it comes to pollution/emission regs. -- you may have to get it inspected before you qualify for CA registration of the out of state vehicle and then pay CA fees and taxes.
Old 07-17-2003 | 04:15 PM

Originally posted by karl k
CA is particularly sticky when it comes to pollution/emission regs. -- you may have to get it inspected before you qualify for CA registration of the out of state vehicle and then pay CA fees and taxes.
Good point - thanks Karl.

I guess I better ask the owner and make sure the Vehicle Emission Control Information sticker contains those magic words "THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO MODEL YEAR 2002 U.S. EPA NLEV REGULATIONS AND APPLICABLE CANADIAN EMISSION STANDARDS. IT ALSO CONFORMS TO CALIFORNIA REGULATIONS APPLICABLE TO 2002 MODEL YEAR NEW LEV PASSENGER CARS.", eh?
Old 07-18-2003 | 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
The sticker is only a sticker.

CA may require an emission inspection as, I mentioned, before...

Because a sticker does not negate a mod-happy seller to have done all kinds of modefications to the vehicle he is selling, in order to boost performance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for a new 2002 Cab?