CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Rear main seal leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Rear main seal leak?

Hi Guys,

Just took my car in for an oil change and was told the rear main seal is leaking which after researching have come to find out its pretty common on these. My car has 71k. They said it will take about 7-9 hrs to fix at the dealership. I asked to speak with to tech to find out how bad it was but she said he was too busy to speak, terrible cust svc these days!

Does this labor sound right to you? It is ok to keep driving it? Anything I should need to know please advise! Cannot see leak because I believe the plastic piece is covering it, correct?

Thx!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Were you getting a check oil light or low oil level warning?

If not then I suspect the leak is very slight and you would not have issues driving it as long as you make sure you the right oil level occasionally.

There are many cars running the roads with a leaking front or rear main leak.

If not under warranty I would check with a good ind shop around your area for another quote.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
RPB

Originally Posted by betrezra
Were you getting a check oil light or low oil level warning?

If not then I suspect the leak is very slight and you would not have issues driving it as long as you make sure you the right oil level occasionally.

There are many cars running the roads with a leaking front or rear main leak.

If not under warranty I would check with a good ind shop around your area for another quote.
I drove the car on a 890 mile trip last weekend, no lights. Then 200-250 miles around town this week and nothing. They just mentioned it when I got an oil change today. I have been reading about additives that might help out but have never used these before. Prob will not go this route and just ride it out in hopes that it is minor. The car is mint from what she stated but just brought this to my attention and the fact that my rear breaks are low, unfortunately the tech was too busy to talk.

Will the leak get much worse over time? Thx!

2002 CLK55

Last edited by RPB; 09-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by RPB
Hi Guys,

Just took my car in for an oil change and was told the rear main seal is leaking which after researching have come to find out its pretty common on these. My car has 71k. They said it will take about 7-9 hrs to fix at the dealership. I asked to speak with to tech to find out how bad it was but she said he was too busy to speak, terrible cust svc these days!

Does this labor sound right to you? It is ok to keep driving it? Anything I should need to know please advise! Cannot see leak because I believe the plastic piece is covering it, correct?

Thx!!!
An independent repair technician stated to ensure the PCV orifice in each valve cover is not clogged. The oil vapor after thousands of miles of use and heat from the engine cause the orifices in the valve covers to become clogged. When the orifices are clogged the engine will build pressure in the engine which forces oil past the rear main seal. Although the outside diameter of the metal vent piece in each valve cover is about .5" diameter the orifice is really small to ensure the engine is venting air pressure and not oil. The small orifice causes the hot oil vapor to condense ensuring most of the oil stays in the engine. Prior to removing the rubber hose attached to each valve cover, purchase two new PCV hoses because they will be hard and brittle from age and heat.Take a stiff piece of wire (coat hanger wire) push through each of the orifices in the valve covers to clear. This repair should relieve the pressure from the rear main seal. This simple repair will save hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 PM
RPB

Originally Posted by m.e.g.
An independent repair technician stated to ensure the PCV orifice in each valve cover is not clogged. The oil vapor after thousands of miles of use and heat from the engine cause the orifices in the valve covers to become clogged. When the orifices are clogged the engine will build pressure in the engine which forces oil past the rear main seal. Although the outside diameter of the metal vent piece in each valve cover is about .5" diameter the orifice is really small to ensure the engine is venting air pressure and not oil. The small orifice causes the hot oil vapor to condense ensuring most of the oil stays in the engine. Prior to removing the rubber hose attached to each valve cover, purchase two new PCV hoses because they will be hard and brittle from age and heat.Take a stiff piece of wire (coat hanger wire) push through each of the orifices in the valve covers to clear. This repair should relieve the pressure from the rear main seal. This simple repair will save hundreds if not thousands of dollars.
Interesting, I appreciate your assistance!