CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2001 CLK 55 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK 55 questions

hey gruppe...i'm looking at a 2001 CLK55...it's got everything except the nav and integrated phone...i'll be assuming the lease (about 11 more months to go), then probably buy it out when the lease is up...any things i need to look out for (lease buyout and car wise)??? also, how much did this car go for new??? thanx in advance!!!
Old 08-15-2003, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The CLK55 MSRP was $67,400 for 2001, without options. This W208 coupe is a very stout vehicle and a great performer.

There are no serious problems inherent with this car. Several members here have gone 30,000 or more with no trouble. The engine/drivetrain reliability on these MB's is excellent for a high performance vehicle.

I would say that the biggest concern that I have for this car (or any modern MB for that matter) is the numerous computers and sensors that are in this vehicle....if you have a problem out of warranty, it could get expensive quick. Plus, parts will be more. Just becasue AMG is stamped on something, MB will charge triple for it.....but you gotta "pay to play!"

How many miles are on the CLK you are getting?
Does it have the extended warranty?

p.s. Congrats and welcome
Old 08-15-2003, 02:18 PM

2002 C32 AMG
CLK55

Poser - the CLK55 is truly a rock solid car - I have put 34,000 miles on mine and not no problem to report (one fog light died, that's it) the Engine is addictive and the comfort of the seats are second to none. My only recommendation is to follow up on the service records to ensure nothing went wrong during the original owners time in the car.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:01 PM

thanx for the replies guys...

the car has 3500 miles on it...no, it's not a typo...it has LESS than 4k miles!!! the owner is a buddy of mine, and he's an independent BMW/porsche mechanic, so i know he's pretty meticulois with his cars...i'll be checking in to whether or not the car has an extended warranty...

and chappy, i know all about "pay to play"...i currently have a 97M3, and BMW also charges more for anything "M"

once again, thanx for the info!!!
Old 08-15-2003, 10:16 PM

No longer car shopping...
Look out for the "Coke syndrome"

These cars are GREAT but they do have a single "potentially faital" flaw...The position of the drink holder is "dis-advantagious" to the health of these cars. A number of posters have outlined having to drive the car back in "limp" mode after having spilled a drink into the console. The issue is so well known that most Benz dealers will replace the trainy once at the dealerships costs. Make certain you get the service records. I went through 3 CLK's with electrical problems (two were even starmarked and had the problems ON THE LOT?). One was a previously starmarked car but the service records showed tell-tale signs of the coke problem (Can happen with soda, coffe, etc). Not that I'm really questioning your buddy but a '01 owned by a mechanic that was only driven 3,500 miles? Something doesn't "sound" right there. Now an executive with a number of cars in his stable is something quite different from a grease monkey (even if he's a well-paid one). Check out the facts and then buy it if it's right. For reference I am currently in the process of offering mine for sale. I believe market value to be $45K. Some estimate it higher, others lower. In either case, that's a good estimate of value. If you can get that one for that price and it is TRUELY a low mileage unit with no history of mechanical problems...GO FOR IT!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
ndabunka

ndabunka, are you serious about putting your 55 up for sale? I'm in the market.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:09 AM

No longer car shopping...
yep. call me

It's up. PM me for more details., Been on vacation and not had time to list it yet.