CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Need help to get my car to engage starter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 430 clk Convertible
Need help to get my car to engage starter

So heres the story bit by bit, hoping some of you very smart Mercedes Benz Gurus can help me get the 2001 430 clk started. If you could even answer some of the questions it would be greatly appreciated.
I bought this wrecked 2001 430 clk convertible with 80k miles on it , Other than the front end damage it’s a pristine car. Serviced regularly ,and easily driven,and it’s a beautiful car.
I replaced the front frame clip, fenders, hood , radiators, fans, waterpump, lights, and everything needed to get it back on the road, still need some parts but hey.. it’s a project . its to a point I need to start it up and service the motor and do other things.
I charged the battery, reset the computer, and most things work(windows, locks,trunk, lights,)
The convertible top doesn’t go down tho,
and the starter wont engage
Im sure it will run but I’m Bummed now,
The questions I have now are this,
The Key, It’s the right key because the locks unlock, trunk works, sterring unlocks when its put in the ignition, lights on dash comes on and looks like its ready to start. Seems like the brake switch may not be working(push brake to start)??? Wheres the switch and can it be bypassed for a test???
Trans needs to be in park…Wheres the switch and can it be disabled to test??? Bad switch??
The roll bars are up I think, I read somewhere they need to be reset ,switch on dash wont do anything, With the rollbars being up, will it stop the starter from engaging?? Is there a way to manually reset the rollbars??
Starter relay fuses??? Read something it could be #51, 54, 44 …cant find them to look(looked left of steering wheel, trunk, and under hood),no fuses of that #, and wheres the relay??
I still need the fan shroud ,so I havn’t filled the car with fluid, Can there maybe a censer telling the computer theres no water in it, and not let the starter engage .
Could it be the starter selinoid???
I have pulled out my hair on this one,Im tired, frustrated, puzzled and disappointed in this project now and need some help, Can anyone help????
Thanks Dan
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 AM

2002 CLK55
The fuses ur referring to are in the box in the engine bay passenger side unscrew the four Phillip screws and remove cover... the deployed roll bars is why ur top wont work.. there is a release lever on the inner sides of the headrest/roll bars that can be released with a thin rod tough to see but if u can squeeze ur head in u can see them down in the backrest.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33 AM

2002 CLK55
U must push them down when you have the release pressed. There is one per headrest on the sides closest to the center of the vehicle. The car does not care if there is fluid in order to start. Maybe a blown fuse in the box I mentioned. There are more relays in drivers side fuse box also, unscrew cover to access (engine bay)
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM

2001 430 clk Convertible
Joe,
Thanks I'll start there,
Anymore pro's out there like Joe??
Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I am not sure about the 430 but my 55 has 4 fuse boxes.
to test the starter: hang a volt gage on the battery, have the wife or dog or someone special crank the car.
If the voltage drops below 10 v have the battery load tested. If the battery is ok replace the starter and check the ground strap on the drivers side for damage decay or loose.
I removed my starter today and what a b!@#. Mine was clicking when cold, hot ok and finally failed.
Cheers, Gator
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
With the roll bars up the top will not work,
The roll bars automatically engage when the stability control system has indicated airborne or accident. You have an inertia reset procedure to complete. might be best to contact a body shop or the dealer.
Have you tried to lower the roll bars manually?

Gator