CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

I am fighing an electrical issue...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG
I am fighing an electrical issue...

I have a W208 CLK55 AMG Coupe, and my drivers side window stopped working one day. I reset the computer by draining the battery, then resetting the auto roll down windows and everything else that had to be reset. Everything worked fine for a month or so including the drivers side window. Next time the drivers side window went out, both windows stopped working, both side mirrors, and both power seats. I cant find this problem anywhere on the net to save my life and was wondering if anyone else has had this similar issue. P.S. If I reset the battery, all of the problems go away but only for a short time and then I am back where I was before. I am Thinking it is the driver window switch, but I am not positive. Anyone have any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Sounds like a fuse block, wiring harness, loose ground. The front window switches are independent. The doors have independent modules for seat window and door lock functions. Power and ground circuits are first to check on the list.

Gator
Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG
Thank you for replying

I have heard a lot of people say that the problem could be the fuse block. What is a fuse block , and where is it located in our w208 CLK55 AMG's? I was thinking it could be a short somewhere also, but that would mean that all of these components are ran in series like the old style Christmas tree lights where if one bulb is bad, then the entire string of lights will not light up. I haven't ever heard of car wiring harnesses to be ran in series, or act like a wiring harness ran in series, for the simple reason that it is cheaper and the worst way to construct a wiring harness for automobiles, I wouldn't think that Mercedes would choose the cheapest route, I hope. I am going to try the fuse block and go from there until I find the culprit of my problem. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
All of the fuses (unless they are inline fuses) are mounted in a "Fuse Block".
If you know where your fuses are, you have seen the fuse block.
Have you ever seen the fuses?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG
I looked at the fuses for the seats.

I have looked at the fuse block in the trunk, which has the power seat fuses as well as the power lock and a lot of other fuses. There is another fuse block under the hood, and I believe there is at least one more fuse panel in the car somewhere.I have worked on cars as a painter, body-man, and custom fabricator for over 15 years and I have never seen anything like this issue that I am having with both left and right side's power seats, power mirrors, and power windows to stop working all at once, then I reset the computer by taking the + & - cables off of the battery and drain the internal charge down to reset the computer. When I put the cables back on the posts, everything works like nothing is wrong for 3-7 days and then everything stops working again. It's driving me crazy , because there are so many parts, wires, fuses, relays, computers and more that could be the culprit to the cause of my problem. Please, if anyone has had a similar problem or knows the answer to my mystery, please let me know. Thank you all for your help and advice.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I might have mis-worded that, When you work at night and have a couple of brews after the mind gets totally involved.
There are 4 fuse boxes in the car, passenger front right - engine, front left - main chassis,
Left side of dash is lighting. Trunk is a main power aux.
Focus on the chassis The trunk fuse box is listed on E-bay as a relay.
The fuse box circuits are fed from different sources like battery power (maybe a block of fuses from one wire). Ignition power might feed another block of fuses. Other feeds might be from starting, lighting and ECM.
If the trunk box has an actual set of contacts acting as a relay for many other circuits, I would investigate it first. It seems to be a popular service item offered on E-bay.
Since your problem is intermittent you can isolate the circuits at the right fuse when it is working and not working with a test light. just note all fuses with power when it works Visa versa.
Hope this helps some.

Gator