CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

coolant leak!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes clk55 AMG
coolant leak!!

hey guys another problem.

i have a coolant leak from the passenger side of engine close to the firewall.it leaks right on the exhaust and the horrible smell comes right into the cabin.i thought it was the valve covers so i changed them.still same thing. does coolant smell the same as oil when burned?are there any lines or anything on that side of the engine?
its a 2003 clk55 amg

thanks
any support is highly appreciated
Old 11-16-2013, 03:46 AM

W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
I would address the problem ASAP. This is not an engine you want to overheat. If you don't have the means to pressure test your cooling system, let the car idle with the heat on and look for the source of the leak. You should have a white residue where the coolant is leaking out or a mist once the engine is heated up.

Coolant has a distinct sweet smell that is very different from oil. It should not be dripping out. The cooling system is pressurized and the coolant typically comes out as a mist if you have a small leak in your cooling system. You could have coolant leaking from the water pump or coolant hoses.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 AM

2003 Mercedes clk55 AMG
Originally Posted by beefstallionAMG
I would address the problem ASAP. This is not an engine you want to overheat. If you don't have the means to pressure test your cooling system, let the car idle with the heat on and look for the source of the leak. You should have a white residue where the coolant is leaking out or a mist once the engine is heated up.

Coolant has a distinct sweet smell that is very different from oil. It should not be dripping out. The cooling system is pressurized and the coolant typically comes out as a mist if you have a small leak in your cooling system. You could have coolant leaking from the water pump or coolant hoses.
my coolant is definetely going down.but the place i see the leak i dont see any lines with coolant.my mechanic said coolant and oil smell the same when burned but at first thought oil came to my mind.i just did the valve covers.ill upload a pic of where exactly the leak is.sometimes it smokes too.
Attached Thumbnails coolant leak!!-unnamed.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 PM

W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
Oil and coolant are very different in the way they leak. For it to be dripping on the exhaust manifold like that it looks like oil. Its really tough to go by though based on the information I see.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM

2003 Mercedes clk55 AMG
it feels like cooalnt to the touch.and my coolant level in the resorvoir has dafinetely gone down and i dont see any leaks of coolant other than this.when i put my hand to feel it,it looks like its coming from the rear valve cover area.but what i dont understand is what valve cover has to do with coolant.?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:25 PM

2001 clk 55 amg
I have the same issue been told it's my heater core but I think it's one of the units also hooked in to cooling system condenser or evaporator etc? Would love to know more ????
Old 12-01-2013, 06:15 PM

2001 clk 55 amg
Clk55 amg # 7 is @ 4 or below ? But can not find the anywhere

Originally Posted by guku0701
hey guys another problem.

i have a coolant leak from the passenger side of engine close to the firewall.it leaks right on the exhaust and the horrible smell comes right into the cabin.i thought it was the valve covers so i changed them.still same thing. does coolant smell the same as oil when burned?are there any lines or anything on that side of the engine?
its a 2003 clk55 amg

thanks
any support is highly appreciated
Originally Posted by Ti8kitti
I have the same issue been told it's my heater core but I think it's one of the units also hooked in to cooling system condenser or evaporator etc? Would love to know more ????
Clk55 amg # 7 is @ 4 or below ? But can not find the leak anywhere