CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Soft Top Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320 Cabriolet
Soft Top Hydraulics

Hey guys, newbie here. I've had a few MB's over the years. Just picked up a 2000 CLK 320 in great shape with 73K miles. Of course the top doesn't work. I'm sure this has been beaten to death on this forum and other, but . . .

I figured out how to operate the top manually this weekend, so I got the top down and in the garage. It's only a weekend (sunny) car in South Florida.

I can get all my cylinders rebuilt at Top Hydraulics along with a rebuild module for a decent price. Question is: Realistically how difficult is it to remove and replace the module and all 7 of the pistons/locks?

I don't mind so much buying the parts, but don't want to pay somebody another $1,000 to remove and replace them when they get rebuilt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, John.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Hey John,
I doubt that all hydraulic cylinders need replacing at the same time. It is your call to spend.
Replacing the hydraulic cylinders might not get the top working again as well.
There is no module for each cyl. There is a soft top control module that observes inputs and provides outputs.
If you have the time, read through many of the soft top posts and learn what your symptoms are.
This is an AMG forum as well but all are welcome to post. Good Luck

Cheers, Gator