CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

New rotors after 5000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2003 | 04:28 PM

04 CLK55, 86 BMW 635CSi, 02 Dodge Dakota
New rotors after 5000 Miles?

This weekend I took my new CLK55 AMG to Summit Point for two days of "performance driving school." I had 6 sessions on the track, 30 minutes each; always with an instructor in the car. Nothing radical!

On Monday the brakes were feeling and sounding like I needed new pads. Off to my friendly dealer.

Today I'm told that the heat build-up trashed the rotors. The local dealer/service-guy says that the car isn't designed to run a track. I find this VERY hard to believe! Isn't the AMG on a par with M3's in terms of their performance capabilities. THe rear brakes were also scarred, according to them; but probably didn't absolutely need replacement.

Is it possible the rotors were defective? How could this have happened? I'm shocked. And $800 poorer!

How hard should I push Mercedes on this, do you think?

I'd appreciate your collective advice.
Old 11-18-2003 | 06:21 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Mike I Had The Same Results

After the first 5K miles or so, my brakes also needed replacing - my rotors wore down so dam fast I couldn't believe it - I drive hard but DAM - AMG is suppose to handle this kind of driving - what the hell are we paying the increase in price - the engine alone - I hope not - my tab was 1200 - I was also told something similar from my crappie dealership - MB of Morristown- is truly the worse dealership I have ever dealt with 87K and you think they would treat you better than that ! This will be my last AMG I'm sure - Hello Porsche - AGAIN !
Old 11-18-2003 | 07:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Even the brakes on the mighty E55 (according to Dr. Chill's track visit) could not stand up to fading and other issues. I personaly don't find it odd that these cars are not truly designed for the track because, well...there not. These are indeed high performance cars with high power engines with heavy duty componets ie brakes, trans,suspension etc but still not designed for track use. I know that's not what anyone of us wants to hear but it's true. MB designs the cars for street/autobahn use and the AMG's are definetly of a higher caliber of performance with high spirited performance driving in mind. I would imagine somwhere in the warranty it's written, track/off road use will void certain parts I'm not even sure the engines will be safe if used on the track repetedly, as track cars don't have emission controls which elevate engine temps and track cars have special specific cooling systems for coolant, oil and trans fluids plus specific suspensions, brakes etc etc. It's true that some production cars fare better than others but maybe the brakes are just an AMG weak spot on the track. I would like to add that I admire your honesty telling the dealer the truth vs lying and trying to get a freebie. Karma, both good and bad will always come back to you, I'd rather have the good come back .
Old 11-18-2003 | 07:31 PM

2002 C32 AMG
True That !

Well Written - brotherman..
Old 11-19-2003 | 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I cooked the brakes in 15 minutes on my 300CE

Part of it (I'm sure ) was that after my session I parked in the pits resting my foot on the brake

I take it a little easier in my CLK55
Old 11-19-2003 | 10:17 AM

Originally posted by Chappy
I cooked the brakes in 15 minutes on my 300CE

Part of it (I'm sure ) was that after my session I parked in the pits resting my foot on the brake

Yes, it is important to baby the brakes at the track. After being superheated on the track, the pad material will become deposited all over the rotor. You should spend the last lap of each session driving fairly slowly, making sure you NEVER touch the brakes. This will allow the brakes to cool significantly. Also use the brakes as little as possible when entering the pit and parking. You should also not use the parking brake while in the pit after a session. Ease the car to a stop and get out and put blocks around one tire to hold the car.

This is disappointing to hear that the AMG brakes aren't track-worthy. I fully intend to take my CLK55 (when I get one) to the track every chance I get. I have been to Road Atlanta track days many times, and I don't think any of the numerous M3s were having any problems. AMGs should be at least that good, for the price. I will be pissed if I have to remove the big AMG brakes that I already paid a premium for to replace them with better aftermarket brakes.
Old 11-19-2003 | 03:52 PM

04 CLK55, 86 BMW 635CSi, 02 Dodge Dakota
proper brake protocols at the track

thanks all for you comments. Yes, I was well schooled in the cool-down lap and not to apply the parking brakes in the paddock. I was a "good boy" and did all that, but i'm afraid the AMG brakes still couldn't take it.

I spoke to a MB Tech Rep today (on staff in New Jersey) and he confirmed that I should surely expect 'increased maintenance" on the brakes if I choose to take it to the track, yes - including replacing the rotors even after just a few sessions separated by an hour or two or eighteen. When I pointed out that a couple of friends with M3's don't have that problem, his only retort was that the M3's don't have the stoping power of the ADG either.

I posted a similar message on the AMG Owners web site, and received some interesting replies. Interested folks might want to wander over there too.

thanks again all --- still would appreciate and enjoy further comment