CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

clk55 cooling fan running constantly help please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk55
clk55 cooling fan running constantly help please?

Hi wondering anyone can help..... I hope so!

I have a clk55 amg 2003 the cars cooling fan is running constantly as soon as the ignition is turned on and whilst the engine is on also.
It runs at maximum rpm I think its in safe mode.

I have had the car at a few garages and first I was told that the fan control unit was faulty so after I was relieved of over £400.00 I was then told it was not this.
The car has been plugged into DAS/AUTOLOGIC/EXESTRA(probably spelt the last one wrong lol

All the diagnostics show no fault codes and I have now been told that the ECU is at fault.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if so what was the solution?
Can the ECU be sent away and if so to whom in the UK?

In this thread from this site I read there is a wiring harness that was issued in a service bulletin do you think this looks like a likely fix?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...orkshop-2.html

sorry for all the questions!
The car has been fantastic for over 3 years with no problem and now its like "the never ending story"

Thanks in advance for any help it is much appreciated.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W209 2003 CLK55 Coupe
If the mechanic told you the fan control unit was bad, and he was wrong, why not try to get your 400 quid back? Seems like he shagged you.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
there is a pretty good thread I read on here somewhere...... about this very issue.
I recall it being an expensive wiring harness and/or control module or both.

Someone rigged up a cheap summit racing fan control unit as a fix.... if I were keeping the car I would just suck it up and get it done right..... with MB parts...... try to get a true diag from a dealer......... then if you don't like the price..... just pay for the diag... and DIY.

Will save you from parts swapping.

GL.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:18 PM

clk55
Hi just an update

betrezra suggested the wiring harness and control unit, well i did both and it has not worked i checked the wiring in the SAM and swapped the relays around but still no joy.

To be honest i am completely confused as is every technician.

Could it be the ecu??
any help is appreciated
Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Have you run DAS STAR?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 AM

clk55
hi yes I have run star etc and still no one can figure this out very frustrating.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:01 AM

2001 clk 55 amg
I just replaced my heatercore

I m a 32 yr old female never touched a car be fore now!!! I m proud never the less I m kinda going thru same issues
I feel like my car is hot cooking I have a heat gun it says it's not but it gets so hot to the touch so fast where I ve owned the car three years and it's never had this problem until real recently my cats where the first thing to go out it's gone down from there any how my thoughts are egr valve possible sensor temp or aux water pump possible clog in your system I would change all cooling system and have your whole ac and heat system diagnosed and never trust the ppl at dealerships they are no smarter than you or I hands on exp is all they have on me and proceeders execution abc 123 I trust ppl here more so than anywhere we love our cars