CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Subframe spacers to fit Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2015 | 05:15 PM

W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
Subframe spacers to fit Mercedes?

Has anyone found subframe spacers for another model car that fit Mercedes of or fabricated them from aluminum or delrin? The rear subframe bushings have a pretty good amount of travel to them. Many other cars use collars that mount to the top and bottom of the bushing to add rigidity.

The CLK55 uses the identical subframe and mounts as non AMG models that have significantly less power. I also found that when the rear end gets loose there isn't the best communication because of the movement between the subframe and the body. I feel like spacers would also give the driver significantly better steering feedback from the rear end.

An example of what I'm talking about:
Old 02-18-2015 | 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK Cabrio
that a great idea
Old 02-20-2015 | 11:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Contact 2precise. He can make pretty much anything you want out of aluminum
Old 02-21-2015 | 10:25 PM

Thanks. I ordered some aluminum Z32 Nissan subframe spacers. I measured the bushing size and they are the same diameter. The bushing shape is slightly different on the w208 so I may have to modify them to fit.

One concern I have with a solid subframe is the w208 subframe bolts are pretty flimsy. I've also heard stories of them pulling through the body. I'm going to be putting more stress on the already light gauge threads of the subframe bolts. I don't see a simple way to strengthen this weak link. Worst case scenario is I strip out the body mounts under hard cornering and have to have new threads welded in.
Old 03-19-2015 | 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I dont think you can weld in new threads but some good fixes would be:

Add frame support with mild tubing to reduce chassis flex.

Heli coil will replace the threads but cannot withstand the mountain climbing antics proposed.

Drill completely through the frame mounting hole and double weld a flange with added metal (beef) to increase the ability of the mounting. expect something else in the unibody to give way next.

These cars are built quite well, If the fasteners are replaced and tourqed properly without rusted counterparts. Should never require extensive modification unless pushing high hellcat numbers.

Thanks for the z car info as we all like help, Let us know how it works out, feel, gain, alignment.

Cheers, Gator
Old 03-20-2015 | 06:52 PM

Update:

The aluminum collars didn't fit the front subframe bushings well even if I were to modify them and the rear bushings were a completely different design for these to fit. The more I thought about it the more I was worried about the headache of stripping subframe bolts so I scrapped the idea. Put them on a friend's Nissan instead.

The rear subframe bushings and bolts are a real weak point on Mercs of this era. If you look at the w211 AMG section, there are a number of members who strip these bolts under hard acceleration with the E55's higher power and body weight.