CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Blue Top solenoids reviewed, installed, 2001 CLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Blue Top solenoids reviewed, installed, 2001 CLK55

Many of the reviews of these solenoids didn't seem to go into great detail, so hopefully this helps those who are on the fence about installing these.

First off what a DIFFERENCE!!! Nice, firm shifts. As soon as the car goes in gear, you're aware this is a sports car. You feel a nice bump. It's not super rough though, unless you manually downshift from 2nd to 1st. Then it will jerk you forward a good bit, and if ESP is off, it will chirp the tires a good bit.

As mentioned above, the 1-2 shift and 2-1 shift is the most noticeable. Nice, crisp shift. When coming to a stop, as some of you should already know, these transmissions automatically downshift when the revs go near idle, as to already be in the correct gear if you decide to accelerate. As you come to a stop, you absolutely feel the 2-1 downshift every single time.

That being said, winter mode is still very smooth, since this eliminates the 1-2 AND the 2-1 shift from its gear selection. 2-3 and 3-4 are still noticeable and firm, but not nearly as noticeable as the 1-2 shift.

I was fortunate enough to install these in a Mercedes-Benz workshop, where my shift adaptations were reset, so the TCU could re-learn my driving style on the new solenoids. I feel that this part is not necessary but if possible I definitely recommend it.

This did NOT make my "TouchShift" shifting reaction time any better. There still seems to be a delay in getting the thing to downshift or upshift, just the shift itself is much faster.

I was also able to install a prototype higher capacity transmission pan. This upped my capacity to 6 quarts help to keep the transmission cool under heavy load. In addition to that it also has large heat fins on the bottom. It's a machined aluminum pan manufactured in USA!

Pan features:
-Mounts within the pan that hold the filter in place
-Dipstick area is raised from inside so the proper fluid level can be checked
-Machined in USA
-May be available in different finishes

Pan will come with:
-6 bolts
-Pan gasket
-Magnetic drain bolt with crush washer

Unfortunately due to the nature of this product I am unable to post the price at this time. As details unfold I will post an entry to the for sale section, and conduct business in an orderly, professional manner.

For now to get a gauge of potential interest, I would like anyone interested in purchasing one of these pans to contact me.

Todd:
todd5854@aim.com

Thanks everybody!

Note- Anybody in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area that is interested in getting these solenoids installed, please contact me. I have a certified Mercedes-Benz tech available to install the parts.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Good mod. Tod, when i put those blue's, i can't handle that big jerk, it's killing me when downshifting to 2>>1..,,

oil pan looks great as well..

ZAYED,,
Old 09-05-2015, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I like the pan and the upgrade with the blue tops, I recorded that number from a VIP320 article but they are pricey.

The winter mode needs help. The TCU needs to see normal commuting in s mode and all out manual in winter mode. No lags in up-shift, downshift or ESP intervention.

Any transmission tuners listening?

Gator
Old 09-17-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
o2 CLK 55 AMG || o4 Audi A4 6SP Quattro || o7 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
todd5854 you got mail!