CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Parktronic or PDC not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Parktronic or PDC not working

Hello members.

I have checked and still googling. I found topics on S classes and a W211 E class how to remove but nothing of how to test the sensor. I don't have a star or a diagnostic tool yet. It kinda is my fault I suppose but I guess its also due to old age. I did pressure wash the car two weeks ago but the sensors were fine and I made sure I stayed far from them to prevent damage. NB the pressure washer I used I could keep my hand away at 10cm and it only tickled me.
So yes it was working this weekend and stupid me left it on as I was removing the car from my yard. My dogs are always running around the car and the sensors were beeping like crazy every time they came close to it. Eventually as I left the car alone it stopped. That's cause it went off by itself now. So I try it again later as I am trying to park the car somewhere near a wall and all it does is beep aloud like something is obstructing it. However the display shows no red bars and after couple seconds it goes off on the dash. I put it on and the same thing again. Funny thing is a group of kids walked by and it momentarily worked as they passed by the front left walking to the right side. It showed the bars on the display and then it went faulty again.

Is there no way that I can test each one? I checked all fuses in the trunk and driver side panel and all is okay. I can only think of disconnecting all the left side ones and plugging one at a time and testing to see which one works with the object at a distance and continuing till I find the culprit one that beeps when I connect it without any object in front.
Is that even possible? Is there another way to test them apart from checking codes on Star which will obviously be the easiest way.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Your in the wrong forum but I would be happy to help, We do not have Parktronic on our cars so here goes.

The sensors react off of proximity which measures distance, the types of sensors react on objects or infrared harmonics. Light or sonic detection.

I can not tell you how to test the system but a battery disconnect might resolve the problem once the sensors are thoroughly dried out from the pressure wash.

A spilt cup of coffee in the console on any Benz can make a bad day for any one.

Good Luck with it.

All the Best, Gator
Old 10-02-2015, 06:18 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I am having problems with mine as well. It will beep at random times when I am nowhere near anything. Sometimes it will just show the red lines only. Very annoying that you need to remove the whole bumper to get at them.

I had STAR plugged in which showed all 6 front sensors had thrown a code at some point. Seems unlikely all of them would be faulty so I assumed it was the wiring or connector in the right side of the bumper. Very frustrating problem.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I am mistaken I was under the impression that you were a seeking W211 advice.

The W209 had more options than I thought. Self parking cars are now in the arena.

The sensors should be sonic so sensitivity adjustment and or calibration will be required. I am sure this is done by access to the controller for the system. If there are lenses on the sensors then cleaning is a prerequisite. With wax or polish preferred.

The connector tw2 is speaking of caught my attention.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:00 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
You can have errors from too much clear coat if you have had the bumper resprayed.
Wax can set them off. Even just crap from the road. I can temporarily get mine to behave sometimes by cleaning them really well. I can't think of a good product or technique for getting the clear coat off them?

I think I will order 6 new ones at some point and also check the wiring when I put it back together.