CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Tranny loses power from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 PM
fd3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG 2002 c230k 02 Triumph America 1992 300e
Tranny loses power from engine

I have an 02 clk55
Battery is good
Alternator is good
New Fluid, Filter and Connector Pin.

I had the transmission flushed, connector pin replaced and I got the car back from the auto shop, at first I thought it was a fluid issue however there are no leaks.
Day 1 after getting the car from the shop I had no problems at all. Check engine light was on however the car corrected itself by the next morning I was driving and the problem began again
I drive and shortly after there is either no power to the wheels or the car will stay in 2nd gear and rev all the way to 4000 without shifting
eventually (less than a mile or so) when I stop the car will no longer move and I have to turn the car off and wait several minutes to even move again. I don't know where to go from here. I dropped the car off at the same shop and they are thinking that I may need a whole new tranny. I am hoping they are wrong and would really like some feedback as to what the issue was with other peoples cars.

Please Help....
Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 169 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 GLK350 & 1992 190e sportline
If the trans works at all I doubt you need a new one. I would guess it is the TCU but that is complete speculation. Has anyone opened it up and taken a look?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Ouch

I changed my conductor plate interface connector the other day while I had the exhaust removed.
Much easier and the car was up in the air anyway. I found that replacement connectors do not always fit but the seals do. I ended up just using the seals for my own and a friends ML 430.
I have serviced mine in the past but some rough looking fluid came out this time, will flush and pray.

When the connector is serviced the battery should be disconnected and the area saturated with carb spray or brake clean. If the connector is saturated in trans fluid when serviced with the battery connected it may take out the TCU.

If we service a transmission that has 100,000 plus miles and has been neglected and rode hard. the new fluid will often clean and circulate trash and varnish throughout the transmission that has collected over the years.

A severely worn transmission with new fluid will have a tough time coming back with adaptive strategy resets.
I might be in the same boat in the near future, and we cannot just plug a used TCU from another car it requires calibration.
It takes a lot of equipment and knowledge to test the trans and the best way for us is to collect data from a scan tool that will get into transmission data stream.

Be calm quiet and see if the repair shop will work with you on this one, if not get irate. but understanding.

Last edited by GatorMB; 12-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes CLK55 AMG
try to change the gear selector i had simillar problem connected to star it showed several problems but the indy suggested to start with selector as its a common issue
the gear selector replacement sorted the problem