CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

CLK55-Check Engine Light/Battery Symbol On & Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 AMG
CLK55-Check Engine Light/Battery Symbol On & Off

Recently purchased 2004 CLK55 AMG. On Tuesday, the CEL came on while parked as I was toggling through the manual/comfort/sport modes (I hadn't used anything other than Comfort Mode and was just seeing if the button worked). CEL stayed on through a few starts, but performance was seemingly unaffected. When I turned the car off at night, the small battery icon appeared w/ the "Visit Workshop Soon" message.

First start Wednesday morning, CEL was out and no messages appeared.

Thursday afternoon, CEL comes back on and lasts for a few starts, again w/o any performance being affected (seemingly).

This morning (Friday), CEL is out again. Car is running fine, but after driving about 20 miles, a message appeared saying that "Distronic Unavailable, see manual" (I don't remember it verbatim, but that's the jist of it).

Part of me is very concerned about the CEL light coming on, but both times I've intended to take it to get the code read, it'd no longer be on. Since the performance doesn't seem to be affected, I'm not super worried, but I would certainly like to get to the bottom of the issue.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
a lot of these issues are with the battery as the source...how old is the battery? Is it OEM? aftermarket? Try charging it up and see if it makes any changes
Old 11-21-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Mine did that in the beginning as well. I cleaned the cover and checked the story with it. I couldn't see any issues with it. The manual mentions to clean with soapy water that's all and dry with a cloth. Mine was a problem linked to the park distance control and once I fixed that it never came back. What this distronic does control is the proximity from vehicles ahead if you had to use cruise control as it would slow the vehicle down and maintain the proximity set by the scroll in the vehicle. It wont hamper anything but don't use cruise control as it might malfunction and hit you into the car up front.
Just check all the wires running to it for any damage and trace them along. Check if there is any fuses for it and the condition of them. But as mentioned above test the battery first and see from there.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Nope!