CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Roof Antenna "pod" on CLK55...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55, 2002 CLK55, 2005 SLK350 also a 2009 BMW 335-IX
Roof Antenna "pod" on CLK55...

Can anyone tell me what is in this pod on the rear center of the roof, by the back window? My FM reception is pretty bad and I was wondering if the antenna for the radio is that little stubby black rubber piece. It almost appears to be a cell phone antenna.

If this black part is for the radio, is it possible to put on a bigger one to improve the reception?

In other posts it has been mentioned that the antenna is acutally part of the rear window. I am aware of other cars that use this.

BTW... The rear window is tinted and I appear to have the Bose system in the car. I have seen other posts that talk about the tint creating trouble for the radio. Since I am not the original owner and the tit was there wan I got the car, I don't know whay kind of film was used.

Thanks for the help.

JM
Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
the 'pod' on the roof is the Tele-Aid antenna - a cellular antenna.

The rear defogger grid in the rear window is shared by the AM/FM radio for receiving broadcast stations. An insolation transformer / amplifier prevents the 12v defogger power from getting to the radio HU circuit.

If you have metallized window tint (usually the culprit), it will affect the reception adversely. It acts like shielding and will cut down on the signal strength the radio would see.

Using non metallic window tint will allow proper radio reception, this type of tint will cost more, but should resolve the problem.