CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

*HELP*research/information gathering on m113 swap and ems systems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 CLK 55 AMG.......... 2001 Corvette Z06.........
*HELP*research/information gathering on m113 swap and ems systems

ok,

As I am nearing completion for the things I want to do to my clk 55 regarding, aero, body, frame, and interior pretty soon I will have to address the elephant in the room which is that engine!

For what it is the thing is great....other than replacing seals and regular maintenance the thing will last forever but I want more power out of it! Which is an issue bc there isn't much aftermarket for it which limits my choices.

If I was determined to keep it I could perhaps snap up some heads off of a different variant with lower compression and boost it but unless I got the parts dirt cheap I do not see the point since the s/c 5.5's are downright cheap.

With some looking I can get a 90k engine for about 2k which is incredible!

Which brings to the next hurdle......TUNING! Tuning is necessary regardless of what I do but how I go about it does present some possibilities.

Like if I decide to go the s/c route then common sense would dictate to get the newer transmission as well and I would assume I just need to spring for the harness and computers off the newer car. clk 63 is out of the question bc of availability but perhaps the closest relative in size for that year range would be the SL 55 AMG? I am focusing on 2003-2010 for availability and cost.

Let's face it the w208 transmission is a DOG. It literally let the entire car down and I can imagine a m113 just shredding it!

Another possibility is an aftermarket EMS which I would assume is more user friendly to modify and would allow me more options in transmissions. Who wouldn't like the idea of that engine mated to a 6 speed! Also, i am operating off the assumption that if i pay big bucks for an EMS system that the vendor will be interested in offering the tech support necessary to ensure I am successful with it aka I pay more for the hardware but will receive some free help with general tuning/getting it to work then having to pay for fine tuning/getting it to work well.

ok, im not really serious about the extra aggravation of getting a manual to work but the choices of EMS I am curious about and with an aftermarket ems the possibility exist should I ever get serious about pursuing it.

This is what I need!

Control engine
Control electronic transmission
TCS
ASM

Anyone have any suggestions about what products to look at.....tbh I have never considered it so have like 0 data. first step is kinda build a mini-catalog with with highs and lows to determine what the average price of one of these is for the functions I need.

Secondly, can anyone recommend some successful tuners to consult with? Good thing about a M113 is it is not a new swap so there is a knowledge base out here somewhere.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by dohcfiend; 01-13-2018 at 02:16 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Hey DOHC,
To swap The M113K from a W210 or W211 will require the Engine harness and possibly the ECU. The transmissions should be the same.
The ECU will need re-coding.
The hard part on these cars is the exhaust. to benefit HP from the swap the manifolds have to be scrapped and headers installed. The stock manifolds are heavily restricted and the factory tune works well with them.
Once the engine is allowed to breath some serious air a re tune is required The M113 NA gets scary fast, A properly tuned M113K will get one into a lot of trouble. HAHA
The mod bug bit me and it is ever fun but expensive. study the W210/W211 forums as well for expected problems from a used engine.
Cheers, Gator
Old 01-19-2018, 04:12 AM

I was under the impression the transmission went under some kind of revision for the 03+ that made it shift faster/better......that is one area MB trails behind the competition.....which compared to other automakers of the same era this transmission shifts like a dog. I will have to do some more research but did MB ever improve upon the automatic in my 01 clk 55?

and when did these improvements happen?

In regards to the other I have it well covered for a new platform. I bit the bullet a while back and went true dual exhaust on my CLK 55 and it sounds MAGNIFICENT. I am not sure of your state regulations but luckily there are no smog sniffers here so all 4 cats have been gutted. If your state does have the sniffers then you can prob delete 2 of them and still be okay. Or if you want to get creative with your existing exhaust then delete all 4 of yours and put a single hi-flow cat further down stream

If you haven't went true dual then you need to...it just sounds like a proper muscle car now! And if you have a decent mechanic it can be pulled off reasonable. All they needed to do for mine was raise the battery to make space for the new exhaust tube.

Is there anything for the stock engine to get it to 500?

The only revision I need to make is the X-pipe. Originally I bought a muffler with the X-pipe built into it but due to the space limitations we had to use 2 separate mufflers.

Far as air flow.........most likely a custom CAI(since I hear the stock box is terrible) and a set of headers to go with my dual exhaust for the M113K should be the order of the day. There is a ton of things for the M113K but for the chassis and wheel base I may have to take some spark out of it to keep it around 500-550 since the chassis and small wheelbase can't take but so much before I am upside down and on fire.....also another thought may be adding some sort of rear ballast to compensate for the Kompressor assembly so with the added weight maybe I can push closer to 600.

It will have to be a balancing act. The engine I have now is too weak and I have a feeling an unrestricted 113K may be too strong.

Last edited by dohcfiend; 01-19-2018 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:52 PM

seems my prayers have been answered.....there is a 6 spd that bolts-on to my engine!