CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Car Feeling Sluggish? Reinitialize The ECU & Sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG
Lightbulb Car Feeling Sluggish? Reinitialize The ECU & Sensors

I was having a problem with my girlfriend's 05 C55 AMG feeling sluggish and we thought it was the mass air flow sensor. I talked to Kleemann and they said more than likely the sluggish response is due to the mass air flow sensor. Spark plugs are rarely the problem being that it doesn't matter what type of plug it is, the plugs still create a spark and ignite the gas. As long as the car isn't misfiring, there probably isn't a problem with plugs or coils. They advised me to swap the mass airflow sensor from my CLK55 that runs perfectly to the C55 that is acting sluggish. They said I need to follow these steps in order to reinitialize both systems so that they will recognize and read all the correct values from the mass airflow sensor and the throttle body.
  1. Disconnect the battery from both vehicles and leave them disconnected overnight. This releases any electrical energy from the capacitors in the ECU. 5 minutes won't do anything, an hour might do something, but overnight will definitely dissipate all of the electricity from the system so be sure to leave the battery disconnected overnight.
  2. Next step is to disconnect and swap the mass airflow sensors and leave them disconnected overnight as well.
  3. In the morning, reconnect the mass airflow sensors and seat them correctly.
  4. Reinstall the air boxes and everything as well.
  5. Then reconnect the battery and hop in the driver's seat with your key.
  6. Put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the second position otherwise known as the running or ON position. Don't crank the key to turn the engine though.
  7. Leave it in that position for about 30 seconds until you hear the throttle body actuate multiple times, making buzzing and Ticking noises. This is relearning the throttle body Min and Max thresholds as well as the rest of the sensors.
  8. Once you no longer hear the throttle body and everything making noises, wait a little bit longer just to ensure everything is done being initialized.
  9. Then start the car and go drive it like you stole it haha
Another thing I have learned is to reset your adaptive driving tables and shifting points in case the car is feeling sluggish. Follow these steps to do that!
  1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position. (2nd click)
  2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
  3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
  4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
Hopefully, these directions are clear enough for any of you wondering how to reinitialize the system! Let me know if it helps!!