CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Oil Loss Analysis Excel Spreadsheet Tool

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG
Lightbulb Oil Loss Analysis Excel Spreadsheet Tool

Hey guys so a while back I had a bad rear main seal leak and I wanted to keep track of it so I created this Oil Loss Analysis Excel Spreadsheet Tool. I use Google Drive and access the spreadsheet on my phone and update it every time I get ready to leave the garage in the morning.
It took me a while to create this and I hope it helps someone who wants to see exactly what is happening with their oil. The more data you have, the more idea you have of what is wrong.
Feel free to download the file from the following google drive link. I have made a blank version that anyone can fill out and use as their own.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

When using the Spreadsheet, leave the Zeros at the top(Row 3) alone and enter in Mileage, Oil Level, Oil Check Message, and Cost Per Liter to start recording data. Feel free to change the dates to the date that you enter in the data for each row.
Check the Example worksheet if you want to see an example of how it everything works for reference. When you enter data in, it will auto-populate the calculated columns and the graph.

Remember you will have slight variations in oil level depending on the temperature of your oil/engine. So to keep things consistent I prefer to check when the engine is cold and has sat overnight in my garage.

To check your oil using the instrument cluster follow these steps. (This won't work on all cars but should work on most (Works on my CLK55 and my C55))
  1. Make sure your car is on level ground and has sat for at least 10 minutes.
  2. Hop in the car and insert the key.
  3. Turn it one click to ACC
  4. Make sure the mileage is displayed and if it's not, scroll through the pages until you bring it up.
  5. Then quickly press the trip reset button three times. This will open a hidden diagnostic screen that shows the voltage of your battery.
  6. Then turn the key to the on position but do not crank the engine over. This enables the sensors of the car and allows the oil to be measured and displayed.
  7. Use the up and down arrows to scroll through the various pages such as voltage, VIN, and the engine type, model, as well as Dyno mode and oil level.
I hope this helps and that you guys find it useful! Let me know what you think!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
So you lost three qts of oil in less than a month?

How bad was your rear main seal?

Btw the graph is very helpful, thanks for taking the time to create it.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 AM

05 CLK55 AMG
Yeah I was losing quite a bit but now it looks like my valve guide seals are leaking and making my engine eat oil. That oil refill as of Sept 8th was after i got the rear main seal fixed. Unfortunately its still losing oil and there's no significant leaks from what I can tell. We just replaced the valve covers gasket and resealed the breather chambers but they seem to be seeping a bit of oil as its a little moist around part of the seals. The oil dipstick tube seal seems to be leaking a tad but i cant pinpoint if its that seal or not.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Since you have experience with oil leaks, I have one that I cant identify. I thought it was a rear main seal so I had that done but the leak is still there.

It looks like a oil pan leak but my friend who is a mechanic told me its not. He said its coming from the upper\side end of the motor somewhere.

Here is a pic from below the car. I did an oil change recently. The oil leak wasn't there for a week or so after the oil change but then it came back.

2005 c55
If you look at this pic and to the right of the screw that has oil on it, you can see that area of the transmission is oily

Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 PM

05 CLK55 AMG
Have you checked to see if its an upper oil pan gasket leak? It could also be a valve cover seal leak that's dripping down your engine and to the back of the block.

The upper oil pan and lower oil pan look like this if you need to see how it looks so you know where to look!