CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

AMG: CLK55 vs. C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Red face I hate it when that happens!

I wish people would be more specific about the cars they are comparing, like whether it's a 208 or 209 CLK55. I see that alot on this board...

Improviz... I have to agree that there isn't going to be "so much" of a difference between certain cars. You get that alot with M3 owners (I had an 02 SMG), they tend to really slam the handling and braking capabilities of the CLK55 in particular. "Okay for a straight line only car..." and "lazy-boy handling", etc. I'd bet everything that I own that the vast majority of them have never even driven a CLK55. I'm sure that if Jean Alesi took them round the 'Ring in the current CLK55, they'd be singing a different tune...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
I wish people would be more specific about the cars they are comparing, like whether it's a 208 or 209 CLK55. I see that alot on this board...

Improviz... I have to agree that there isn't going to be "so much" of a difference between certain cars. You get that alot with M3 owners (I had an 02 SMG), they tend to really slam the handling and braking capabilities of the CLK55 in particular. "Okay for a straight line only car..." and "lazy-boy handling", etc. I'd bet everything that I own that the vast majority of them have never even driven a CLK55. I'm sure that if Jean Alesi took them round the 'Ring in the current CLK55, they'd be singing a different tune...

Best regards,
Matt

LOL....yeah, don't forget "slushbox" to the list of "complaints" LOL
Old 08-09-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55
Originally Posted by C32AMG
I think it is funny that many people put down the new C and applaud the CLK.

They took the old W202 C class and plopped the CLK's body on it.
That is why it drives identical to my past C43 AMG.

The only reason people think the CLK is better than the C class is it's looks and price tag.

In actuality, the current CLK is MUCH less of a performance car than the W203 C class.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the CLK's looks. I think it is more of an image car than the C32. That does not make it a better car.

By the way. I sold my Porsche 996 for this car. I wanted something nimble and tossable. The E55 though a great car in every aspect, didn't give me this feeling.

Not all people who drive C32's can't afford more expensive cars. That is just a generalization on your part.
that was a bad move IMO
Old 08-09-2004, 07:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Improviz
If indeed the new C-class were MUCH more of a performance car than the 208 CLK55, we would expect to see this in the track numbers for the C32 vs. the CLK55. Both are rated at about the same horsepower, same size tires, same drivetrain, gearing (slight advantage to C32), and are about the same weight.

Unfortunately, the track numbers don't bear this out...

Nuerburgring lap times:
W208 CLK55: 8.29 min.
C32: 8.37 min.

Hockenheim lap times:
W208 CLK55: 1.18.2 min.
C32: 1.20.6 min.

Handling CLK55 C32
Slalom Course (36m) 119 Km/h 118 Km/h
Evasive Course (110m) 124 Km/h 132 Km/h

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...1=30%26Car2=42

New C55 supposedly does get much better track numbers than C32, though...still, the huge gap between C32 and CLK55 doesn't indicate that your C32 is a MUCH better performance car than the 208 CLK55...quite the opposite, I'm afraid. :p :p
couple words: double wish-bone vs macpherson strut.

IMO the W208 is faster around the track then the C32 is because of the front suspension setup and as well as the advantage of torque on the CLK55. Give the C32 another 40lbs of torque, I'm sure the story would be different. LOL
Old 08-22-2004, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
That's funny you started this thread as I just drove a CLK55 extensively today.

The CLK has the old Mercedes interior. It seems very classy but less functional than the C class interior.

The CLK55 does NOT have a one touch sunroof close. Here is a list of the things that the C32 has and the CLK55 lacks. If you don't care about these things than scroll down to the performance comparison.

The CLK55 Lacks

Motorized steering wheel

Steering wheel adjustment up and down. It only has in and out (telescoping)

One touch sunroof close

Automatic lights

Drilled rotors

The CLK55 has heavy doors. I like that. They feel VERY solid and firm.

Better seats in the CLK55 IMHO

There is more but I don't want to bore you....

The CLK55 is lacking MANY of the fine computer adjustments the C32 has. For instance, the ability to turn the fog lights on when unlocking the doors. This is a cool option. It helps you find your car fast in a big parking lot. It also looks cool.

Other things missing are the updated radio and climate control functions.

Performance and driving observations

The dash is better looking in the CLK55. It is wood trimmed near the windshield like my C43 had.

The windshield is smaller in the CLK so it is harder to see out of the car. I don't have the feeling of looking down at the road like in the C32. The hood on the CLK55 doesn't slope like the C32 Does.
I like the feeling of being "right there". The CLK doesn't give me that sensation.

The V8 sound is amazing if not a little bit muted for my tastes. Ahhh that V8 sound brings back memories. The throttle response is instantaneous at an idle. Just tap the throttle on the CLK and Vrooom vrooom. Instant gratification. The C32 hesitates. This really doesn't effect the performance of the engine, but I like to rev the engine sometimes

Driving the CLK55 felt almost identical to my old C43. It was VERY solid and quiet. The suspension felt similar to the C32 during normal driving. Stiff but forgiving.

The steering feel was heavier than in the C32. It felt more numb. This is due to the fact that the CLK does not have rack and pinion steering. I didn't get a chance to push the car to it's limits so I can't comment on all out handling differences.

Here is the crazy part. My C32 feels significantly faster than the CLK55 did. Maybe this is due to the smooth delivery of the V8. My C32 pulls about as hard as the CLK55 did up to 4500rpms. BUT....then the C32 goes into overdrive where the CLK55 kept the same push through the rpms.

I could go on forever..but in the end, the CLK55 is a beautiful car. It is class all the way. If all I were looking for was status and women then I would buy this car. If I was looking for all out performance and usability the C32 wins hands down.

The C32 feels faster and more nimble. I feel MUCH more confident driving it then the CLK55.

The ONLY thing I absolutely LOVED about the CLK55 that the C32 lacks was it's contour seats.( air adjustable) Ohhhhh yes.

:o

Great analysis even this thread is aged.
All above good features about the C32 are still true on the C55 today.

cnt
Old 08-29-2004, 04:37 AM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
I test drove a 2005 CLK 55 AMG yesterday.. Awesome sound and looks. Even though I gotta admit, I have the feeling my C32 was a bit quicker. What I liked most about the 55 are the seats.. they give you incredible side support compared to the 32..
Old 08-29-2004, 08:39 PM

ARRR
can't you guys look at when the thread was posted? It was started back in 01... Which gen CLK55 do you think he's talking about... Of course the 208...
Old 08-29-2004, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Yang1815
can't you guys look at when the thread was posted? It was started back in 01... Which gen CLK55 do you think he's talking about... Of course the 208...
i think so too....
Old 08-29-2004, 10:22 PM

SLK55 AMG
where is mad32?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:34 AM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
oh well.. who cares
Old 09-04-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Hey guys! Just checking back in after a long time.

How is everyone?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 AM

2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
long azz thread gotta love my *NEW TO ME* w208 clk55, chirped the tires in the 1-2 gear change, didnt think an auto could do that left a big grin on my face!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:28 PM

SLK55 AMG
That's funny you started this thread as I just drove a CLK55 extensively today.

The CLK has the old Mercedes interior. It seems very classy but less functional than the C class interior.

The CLK55 does NOT have a one touch sunroof close. Here is a list of the things that the C32 has and the CLK55 lacks. If you don't care about these things than scroll down to the performance comparison.

The CLK55 Lacks

Motorized steering wheel

Steering wheel adjustment up and down. It only has in and out (telescoping)

One touch sunroof close

Automatic lights

Drilled rotors

The CLK55 has heavy doors. I like that. They feel VERY solid and firm.

Better seats in the CLK55 IMHO

There is more but I don't want to bore you....

The CLK55 is lacking MANY of the fine computer adjustments the C32 has. For instance, the ability to turn the fog lights on when unlocking the doors. This is a cool option. It helps you find your car fast in a big parking lot. It also looks cool.

Other things missing are the updated radio and climate control functions.

Performance and driving observations

The dash is better looking in the CLK55. It is wood trimmed near the windshield like my C43 had.

The windshield is smaller in the CLK so it is harder to see out of the car. I don't have the feeling of looking down at the road like in the C32. The hood on the CLK55 doesn't slope like the C32 Does.
I like the feeling of being "right there". The CLK doesn't give me that sensation.

The V8 sound is amazing if not a little bit muted for my tastes. Ahhh that V8 sound brings back memories. The throttle response is instantaneous at an idle. Just tap the throttle on the CLK and Vrooom vrooom. Instant gratification. The C32 hesitates. This really doesn't effect the performance of the engine, but I like to rev the engine sometimes

Driving the CLK55 felt almost identical to my old C43. It was VERY solid and quiet. The suspension felt similar to the C32 during normal driving. Stiff but forgiving.

The steering feel was heavier than in the C32. It felt more numb. This is due to the fact that the CLK does not have rack and pinion steering. I didn't get a chance to push the car to it's limits so I can't comment on all out handling differences.

Here is the crazy part. My C32 feels significantly faster than the CLK55 did. Maybe this is due to the smooth delivery of the V8. My C32 pulls about as hard as the CLK55 did up to 4500rpms. BUT....then the C32 goes into overdrive where the CLK55 kept the same push through the rpms.

I could go on forever..but in the end, the CLK55 is a beautiful car. It is class all the way. If all I were looking for was status and women then I would buy this car. If I was looking for all out performance and usability the C32 wins hands down.

The C32 feels faster and more nimble. I feel MUCH more confident driving it then the CLK55.

The ONLY thing I absolutely LOVED about the CLK55 that the C32 lacks was it's contour seats.( air adjustable) Ohhhhh yes.

:o
thanx i like real , honest and to the point reviews well done!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 PM

SLK55 AMG
Hey guys! Just checking back in after a long time.

How is everyone?
fine dude nice ride you got there bein' pimpin' huh