CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

01 CLK55 AMG WATER PUMP HELP!!!!

Old 02-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
01 CLK55 AMG WATER PUMP HELP!!!!

Hey guys, so replaced my water pump 8k miles ago. A few weeks ago started getting a whining noise from front of engine, no signs of any issues, everything looked good. Then I started losing coolant.

Diagnosed as the water pump going bad, way to go Mercedes, apparently there is a relief hole that will start dumping coolant when the bearing starts going bad.

Have just been topping off the coolant while waiting to order the new one from fcp Europe. (Going to do the pulley, tensioner, idler and power steering pump while I'm in there)

NOW the bearing is starting to make a very concerning noise and the pump is just steadily pushing out coolant.

Should I stop driving the car all together? Will the bearing explode? Anyone dealt with this issue?

My first e46 M3 had a blown apart impeller and I drove with it for over a year. Just a little rattle from the pump.

Is is this something that can randomly casualty itself? Only 8k miles on the pump... thoughts?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM

2007 R350, 2002 CLK55
Correct me if I’m wrong but factory parts carry 12 mo/ 12k mile warranty. Not sure how MB would verify miles for an over the counter purchase but the date period is easily verified by receipt provided of course the part was purchased from a dealer. Rebuilt or aftermarket products bought from indie or chain retailers carry different warranties, but usually something like 90 days from date of purchase.

just because you got lucky on an E39 doesn’t mean your luck will hold up on a w208. To me it sounds like you’re driving a time bomb. Once it goes critical it maybe too late and what could have been repaired for hundreds of dollars will easily escalate into thousands and a crap more labor, hassle and stress. If you are asking for an opinion, I’d get it done ASAP. May not be a bad idea to park it until then.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 AM

2001 clk 55 amg
Thanks for your reply! And yeah, I decided to just park it. Fcp euro has lifetime warranty, so gonna do the idler tensioner and everything else while I'm in there.

Driving the giulia Ti sport with a nice little tune, lots of fun!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:35 PM

2007 R350, 2002 CLK55
Originally Posted by quik55
Driving the giulia Ti sport with a nice little tune, lots of fun!

That in itself is a reason to park your car! I had 9 Alfas and loved them all.