CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

01 55 AMG multi contour seats question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 03:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
01 55 AMG multi contour seats question

Hey guys, this is one aspect of the car I have not messed with or have been able to find much info on. To my knowledge my contour seats are in working order...I do however have no idea what each individual switch controls.

One of my biggest questions is does anyone know if the seats are active contour? Ie when taking right turn, left bolster will inflate/deflate to provide support on either side?

Im about to take the seats out of the car to re sew the rips in the seams which I'm assuming are from the contour bladders.

Any advice on removal? I haven't found any info on removing the seats with the air lines etc.

thanks for any help guys!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
Hey guys so I did some research and looks like the w208 55 AMG came standard with multi contour seats. Not sure if that's active multi contour standard or just contour but I'm quite positive mine are active, I would feel pressure applied to the lumbar when going up a hill or slight increase in pressure of left bolster when driving fun. At first I thought I was crazy...but now seems to make sense. While I have driven newer Mercedes e500 wagon to be specific which had quite aggressive active contour, this is much more subtle.

But mission accomplished. Seat skins are removed to repair seams which have split from what I would assume would be....the active air contour!!!

Before removing the seat I messed with the settings on the contour. I'm not sure if they were working or not, I didn't hear any air escaping but I know the drivers side work and that's all that matters to me. (After removing the seat it looks like the contour control assembly was not even mounted correctly to the air tubes so we'll see what happens with that)

So anyway...I have a bit of experience doing this with Mercedes having worked at a interior restoration and customization shop for the total of 1 80's 500sl interior restoration. But in my opinion....

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! It isn't worth it. AT ALL.

Removal and disassembly with the tubing wires etc is a super pain in the *** the process took about 3.5 hours and I'm looking at probably the same to get it back in. Save yourself the time and effort and pick up a new used seat. You're probably much better off!

Unfortunately I have the two tone. Back is in pretty good shape.

So the reason I'm doing this is I've run out of money for the Benz for now lol so I'm tackling all the cheapest little stuff but very time consuming. Aka the entire interior. I'm hesitant to just strip the whole thing.

Suggestions?? What can I do to renew the look and feel of the leather? Should I dye the center a brighter white while end up eventually doing all the white pieces in the interior?

Suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Last edited by quik55; 06-25-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Looks like fun to me.
upholstery is the only task I give to a pro. My Cab has the seam in the center of bottom section loose. Coupe has minor seat belt scuff at seam on upper.
The seats control sequence and operations are in the owners manual. Not sure about active since the controls are full manual no automatic systems present.
Keep up the goodness.
Gator