CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

anyone with Renntech experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
anyone with Renntech experience?

I am thinking of low boost supercharger for w209 clk55.
please provide some exp. if you had your car done by Renntech.
Thank you.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by JLee81
I am thinking of low boost supercharger for w209 clk55.
please provide some exp. if you had your car done by Renntech.
Thank you.
A local tuner did it to their CLK55 W028 and that car was simply crazy quick. It had wheels brakes all the suspension upgrades (bushings subframe, camber bushings etc... the works) so it really was a great car.

I think they had about 440 hp if I do recall but I am not sure.

Call and talk to RENNtech about the upgrade. They are more than happy to discuss upgrades with potential customes.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renntech is a great company, but if you are going to do a low boost SC, I would really look into Kleemann. That's really their strength and their system will have you CLK55 cranking out 550 hp.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:17 AM

No longer car shopping...
Originally Posted by Sleestack
Renntech is a great company, but if you are going to do a low boost SC, I would really look into Kleemann. That's really their strength and their system will have you CLK55 cranking out 550 hp.
Sounds like if slee can point a few more people kleeman's way he may be able to get his car out of Evo's garage. Each vendor has their advantages (Kleeman, HPS, Renntech). I'd recommend you try HPS as well.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Sounds like if slee can point a few more people kleeman's way he may be able to get his car out of Evo's garage.

HUH? That doesn't even make any sense?

I have had the Kleemann system and I think it is great. It is clearly a more advanced system than the HPS, albeit significantly more expensive.

How is my car that is being built by Evosport have anything to do with that?

Last edited by Sleestack; 07-15-2004 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 PM

I talked to adam and he offered me a really good deal for the newer version of HPS supercharger. Yet they are still looking for a W209 CLK to test it on in CA area. Well, they stand behind their product with their warranty. 5 years? I believe. But.. what I felt after I saw mustang's supercharger...was that do I want a mustnag superchrger in my merc? Yet, the price/performance ratio is very attractive.

Renntech also sent me a warranty file and they cover it during rest of the original car warranty or 2 years from the installation date. They seemed to be one of the most reliable tuner since the owner and director was the Head AMG director and engineer, who is a tech partner with MKB. MKB is very good too but not enough source in US right now. So that was outta the way.

Kleemann.. Yes they do produce high hp like 550bhp, which is not accurate.
Most Kleemann tuners I talked to quoted me around 510-520bhp. They told me they don't want to lie about the actual figures. Around $14000 sticker, it is very attractive too. But there is no warranty. Who's gonna f*** around with their new CLK55s with a tuner with no warranty products? Just ask yourself if it is a smart decision. I was seriously into this product though because of the hp number but yet, I will lose to C32 on a drag way as it was shown in the demonstration in a drag race. Also it won't cut down the 0-60 by much at all.

And as I recall, I think slee talked about the reliabilty of the KSC and said that the success rate is affected by the numbers of people who bought the kit. It is very true in an statistical sense. But.. at least they should have some sort of backup plans even though they might be so confident about their products.Most importantly, there have been some blown off KSC engines and people know about this.

With Renntech low boost, they claim that my car will be sub 4 sec in 0-60mph and hit 186mph. Anyone done this mod?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I talked to adam and he offered me a really good deal for the newer version of HPS supercharger. Yet they are still looking for a W209 CLK to test it on in CA area. Well, they stand behind their product with their warranty. 5 years? I believe. But.. what I felt after I saw mustang's supercharger...was that do I want a mustnag superchrger in my merc? Yet, the price/performance ratio is very attractive.

Renntech also sent me a warranty file and they cover it during rest of the original car warranty or 2 years from the installation date. They seemed to be one of the most reliable tuner since the owner and director was the Head AMG director and engineer, who is a tech partner with MKB. MKB is very good too but not enough source in US right now. So that was outta the way.

Kleemann.. Yes they do produce high hp like 550bhp, which is not accurate.
Most Kleemann tuners I talked to quoted me around 510-520bhp. They told me they don't want to lie about the actual figures. Around $14000 sticker, it is very attractive too. But there is no warranty. Who's gonna f*** around with their new CLK55s with a tuner with no warranty products? Just ask yourself if it is a smart decision. I was seriously into this product though because of the hp number but yet, I will lose to C32 on a drag way as it was shown in the demonstration in a drag race. Also it won't cut down the 0-60 by much at all.

And as I recall, I think slee talked about the reliabilty of the KSC and said that the success rate is affected by the numbers of people who bought the kit. It is very true in an statistical sense. But.. at least they should have some sort of backup plans even though they might be so confident about their products.Most importantly, there have been some blown off KSC engines and people know about this.

With Renntech low boost, they claim that my car will be sub 4 sec in 0-60mph and hit 186mph. Anyone done this mod?

Warranty is defintely an issue if that is your concern. That being said, there are quite a few Kleemann owners here and I'm sure they will tell ou about the reliability of the product. I don't know about any Kleemann SCed engine that have blown up. Where did you here that? Nevertheless, if you are going to worry about warranty coverage, perhaps Renntech is a better option for you. I have had a full MKB kit installed in my car. They make very good products.

A Kleemann blown CLK55 will not lose to a C32. I have a 420 hp C32 and can tell you that it is fast, but does not pull like a SCed V8. You 0-60 won't improve that much because of the tires, not lack of power. As for 550 v. 520 hp, that is all going to depend on the gas you are using. Kleemann SCed 55s on 91 put out about 430hp at the wheel.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:00 PM

How about the acceleration feeling?

I really like the way my car pulls now. I have driven a 2004 e55 and it has smooth accleration but there seemed to be a lag time for the acceleration. No fun at all. Would it be the same after installing the SC? or does it depend on the ECU mapping setup? BTW there were several in Asian countries like Korea and Taiwan.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really like the way my car pulls now. I have driven a 2004 e55 and it has smooth accleration but there seemed to be a lag time for the acceleration. No fun at all. Would it be the same after installing the SC? or does it depend on the ECU mapping setup? BTW there were several in Asian countries like Korea and Taiwan.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if the ones in Korea and Taiwan had more to do with improper installation or other additional tuning, b/c I haven't heard of one in the States or Europe. Shine, another MBworld member might have some input on that.

No lag. They are incredibly smooth and seamlessly integrated. N/A engines will obviously always be the smoothest, but I don't think you would be disappointed. You should really get a test drive in one.

I love the transformations that aftermarket tuning can bring to cars. There are alot of options out there for you. My suggestion would be to talk to customers that have spent significant dollars and see how they feel about their experiences.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I had my Kleemann'd G55 put on a 4 wheel dyno jet last week. Put down about 370whp and almost 420 ft/lbs. of torque. The temperature in the shop was over 97F. Considering that the G has about a 30% drivetrain loss, it was a hot day in Denver, and I use 91 octane gas, these numbers are very impressive. Do the math, but I come up with about 525 crank HP. Not bad for lousy gas and leads me to believe that the 550hp claims are accurate with some decent octane fuel.

Renntech is a great company, you can't go wrong with either. Does their warranty include just the supercharger or will they replace an AMG engine if it fails?

Also, I've heard a couple of people on this board talk about blown engines on Kleemann modified cars. Can anyone give me a single specific example. If not, I'm calling BS.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:28 PM

It's not a BS.

Slee, I don't think there was anything wrong with the installation of Kleemann SC in Korea nor in Taiwan. Why do you say that? Juss because you have Kleemann SC? It was very ignorant of you. The mechanics were very skillful and they do other engine mods for porche and Brabus and many others. The shop is called Newborn. If you say something like it's because of the improper installation of SC, please provide me a reason to think so. Every product has defects and malfunctions. Why do you think that Installing SC in Korea and the US should have any differences especially when the one in Korea was chosen to be one of the best tuning shops in a 4th largest car manufacturing country. Many Asian people would be offended by your statement because all the mercedes tuners and drivers in Korea are as enthusiastic and knowledgeable as those in other countries such as US. Please take back your statement.

G55K, call Kleemann in DK and if they say that there was no blown off engines from Kleemann no matter what, and if that is true, I will give you my 2004 CLK 55 for free. There is no reason to BS here. I am personally very involved in one of the largest MB forums in Asia. I would not do such a thing. Yes there are successful Kleemann SC vehicles but at the same time, there were also very unsuccessful ones as well.

Best Regard,
Jae.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Jae,
I'm sure that Kleemann probably has had the occasional problem, it's a fact of performance tuning. I'm equally sure that Renntech, Brabus, AMG, etc., have also experienced the occasional problem. At the same time these companies are run by talented professionals who excel at pushing cars to their performance limits. I have a problem when someone posts about product failures, whether it be Kleemann, Renntech, Brabus, or AMG, without any information backing their accusations. I happen to be a big fan of Kleemann and have had an excellent experience with their products and service. Does that mean that I think Renntech and Brabus aren't any good at what they do? Of course not. At the end of the day it's your money, spend it on the product that helps you reach your performance goals and makes you feel the most comfortable. They're all excellent choices. I only have experience with Kleemann and that's what I'm comfortable recommending to people.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Slee, I don't think there was anything wrong with the installation of Kleemann SC in Korea nor in Taiwan. Why do you say that? Juss because you have Kleemann SC? It was very ignorant of you. The mechanics were very skillful and they do other engine mods for porche and Brabus and many others. The shop is called Newborn. If you say something like it's because of the improper installation of SC, please provide me a reason to think so. Every product has defects and malfunctions. Why do you think that Installing SC in Korea and the US should have any differences especially when the one in Korea was chosen to be one of the best tuning shops in a 4th largest car manufacturing country. Many Asian people would be offended by your statement because all the mercedes tuners and drivers in Korea are as enthusiastic and knowledgeable as those in other countries such as US. Please take back your statement.

G55K, call Kleemann in DK and if they say that there was no blown off engines from Kleemann no matter what, and if that is true, I will give you my 2004 CLK 55 for free. There is no reason to BS here. I am personally very involved in one of the largest MB forums in Asia. I would not do such a thing. Yes there are successful Kleemann SC vehicles but at the same time, there were also very unsuccessful ones as well.

Best Regard,
Jae.

LOL. I didn't mean to get you in such a stir. If you look at my post, I was asking a question, not stating it as fact. The only reason I asked was b/c I have never heard of a engine in the U.S. that blew b/c of a Kleemann SC. There may be one, but I've never heard of it. I am Korean so I guess I should be offended? I'm sure their are great tuning shops in Korea, but you are kidding yourself if you think the world of performance tuning in Korea is as developed as it is in the U.S. Japan, yes, if not more so. Korea.... uhhh no. There simply isn't as big a market for performance tuning in Korea, nor the abundance of high end MBs needing Kleemann SCs.

You are talking about Kleemann Sced engines blowing as though it is a common occurence. If it happens in Asia. but not in the U.S. or Europe, wouldn't that tell you that it isn't the product, but perhaps something else?

I was just trying to give you some input on another tuning alternative. If you haven't been in a Kleemann SCed car, I guess I can understand your skepticism, but I was extremely happy with their system. I was also happy with my MKB tuning and thrilled with the Evosport Stage II tuning done to my wife's C32. There are alot of options out there for you... I can only give you input based on my experiences.

Last edited by Sleestack; 07-16-2004 at 03:21 AM.