CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Seeking info concerning electronic issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2019 | 10:18 PM

2003 mb CLK55 AMG
Seeking info concerning electronic issues...

I own a 2003 CLK 55 AMG and having problems with CEL lights on dash. Not very knowledgeable concerning auto part nomenclature but I believe the issue lies with the "ecu". I am constantly getting warnings that the abs brake system needs attention(although the brakes work fine and my mechanic checked them and said all good). This warning is a constant on the dash and even when cleared returns. Another constant warning is that the engine needs oil added when in actuality the oil level is absolutely fine. Whatever electronic part sends these warnings which I believe is the brain or ecu needs fixing or replacing. Not sure if that part can be rebuilt or remanufactured or whether I must purchase an entirely new unit. If anyone has any advice I would welcome suggestions. The car drives very well but I'm getting tired of these idiot lights on the dash....thanks!
Old 09-22-2019 | 04:03 PM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Hmmm CEL are always a pain. You dont mention mileage on your car which could indicate a few things.
Off the top I wouldnt blame the ecu if the car drives well and you only have these 2 CELs on. Firstly check the brake fluid level. If thats fine then get another mechanic to check the brake pads all round for you and their thickness as well as the brake pad wear sensors. Perhaps one is worn from a previous brake job. There should only be 2. One for rear and 1 for the front. I would also check how many clicks it takes to depress the hand brake pedal as an extra measure.
As for the oil fill warning, that usually boils down to a faulty oil level sensor. Mine would do the same and often hit the red warning lamp to stop vehicle and visit workshop. I eventually replaced the sensor and have no issues now.
If these still come up after this issue, you could remove battery terminals negative then the positive and leave it for 10mins or more. Then reconnect the positive and then negative and relearn the sun roof, steering angle position lock to lock as well as throttle pedal and window adaptations. This should help with the issue but if not then perhaps it could be an ECU issue but I highly doubt it

Last edited by Khan 55; 09-22-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2019 | 06:10 PM

2003 mb CLK55 AMG
Thanks so much for the response. Today two more popped up...BAS and ESP making a total of four. The car is approaching 100K miles. Oil sensor issue makes sense but as I said before, had the brakes checked recently as I was concerned about the cel and the mechanic said no issues. I haven't tried your suggestion of disconnecting the battery but will do that before making a call to local indy for troubleshooting appt.. Again thanks for your help

Chris