CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

2002 CLK55 Serpentine belt failed with 10k miles on it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
2002 CLK55 Serpentine belt failed with 10k miles on it?

Greetings,

I was driving yesterday and steeped on the gas a little from a stop sign. I hear this whooshing sound soon after. I pop the hold and my serpentine belt is starting to shred. I'd say its still 75% intact and on all the pullies etc. What is odd is that this belt was replace in Fec 2018 or 10k miles ago. I doubt it is the belt so I am wondering what else could have failed to cause this? An idler pully or something? Also, I have a shop 3 miles from my house and I'd rather not tow it. Any thoughts on how risky it is to drive that far? I am thinking if it comes off I'll know right away wit the 'visit workshop warning.

thanks
Old 10-23-2019, 07:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
I had 2 belts bust on me both were oil leak relatedmost likely ur filter housing. first time I was right by my house second I was on the saw mill and forgot it was running the water pump, was blowing coolant out my resovoir thought I blew the head for sure or popped the resovoir (bimmer problems) but it was all oil related that **** will eat rubber up but that was probably 15k ago and we're still going strong! Just hit 182k baby!
Old 10-23-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
Originally Posted by quik55
I had 2 belts bust on me both were oil leak relatedmost likely ur filter housing. first time I was right by my house second I was on the saw mill and forgot it was running the water pump, was blowing coolant out my resovoir thought I blew the head for sure or popped the resovoir (bimmer problems) but it was all oil related that **** will eat rubber up but that was probably 15k ago and we're still going strong! Just hit 182k baby!
Thanks. Well mine was oil related too. I probably should have realized it because when I replaced the most recent belt 10k miles ago it was because the oil cooler was leaking and leaked onto belt, causing it to slip off. This time I had a valve cover gasket leak and oil dripped down again. SMH. Anyway so I replaced both valve cover gaskets, idler, pulley and belt for a nice price of $1500. I just am about at 126K. The repair bills the past 2 years have been pretty brutal. My girlfriend thinks I have brain damage but I just love my CLK55!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2001 clk 55 amg
Dang man, sorry to hear that and as I'm working on my expert level towards Benz ownership I should have realized filter housing and oil cooler were connected lol! But 10k atleast of the 14 I've spent as per previous threads were at fcpeuro. I've boycotted them for some time cause they ****ing suck but I can't beat the 2 day shipping them being in CT. But my opinion would be to buy through them. One of their genuine water pumps I bought went out at 7k and I warranties the idler, belt and water pump pulley all genuine Benz just because wtf. I've just fully started getting into the car and it's gonna run, so hang in there and do ur breather **** too cause whoever ur paying is charging u wayyy to much lol!