CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Clunk on Shift and On Accelerate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Clunk on Shift and On Accelerate

Hi All

I have an 03 CLK 55 w/ 87k on clock. Since buying it I noted that when you shift from PARK to DRIVE you get a noticable CLUNK from the rear. If you shift it back to PARK and BACK to DRIVE again there is no clunk (the same behaviour is exhibited when selecting REVERSE) It's like a noticable clunk from the rear.

When you accelerate or decelerate there is also a knock (not all the time, generally harsh acceleration).

The CLUNK originates from the rear.

I don't think it would be the gearbox as when it drives the gears shift smoothly and the box goes up and down gears with no issues.

IF it is the rear (diff side) - will it likely be diff bushes? if so what do I need to get and are they easy to change? Some people have suggested it could be the main rubber disc between propshaft and diff (Guibo I think) - is it worth me just changing it all?
Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by danielcarter22
Hi All

I have an 03 CLK 55 w/ 87k on clock. Since buying it I noted that when you shift from PARK to DRIVE you get a noticable CLUNK from the rear. If you shift it back to PARK and BACK to DRIVE again there is no clunk (the same behaviour is exhibited when selecting REVERSE) It's like a noticable clunk from the rear.

When you accelerate or decelerate there is also a knock (not all the time, generally harsh acceleration).

The CLUNK originates from the rear.

I don't think it would be the gearbox as when it drives the gears shift smoothly and the box goes up and down gears with no issues.

IF it is the rear (diff side) - will it likely be diff bushes? if so what do I need to get and are they easy to change? Some people have suggested it could be the main rubber disc between propshaft and diff (Guibo I think) - is it worth me just changing it all?
Check the flex plates. Same as "guibo."
Old 11-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 55
Can you point me in the direction of a part on ebay? there doesn't seem to be a CLK 55 specific flex plate? I can find a generic CLK flex plate but I'd have thought the 55 would have a more heavy duty plate
Old 11-05-2019, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by danielcarter22
Can you point me in the direction of a part on ebay? there doesn't seem to be a CLK 55 specific flex plate? I can find a generic CLK flex plate but I'd have thought the 55 would have a more heavy duty plate
Same kit fits a zillion models, both non-AMG and AMG. If one is bad, make sure to replace both.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
C43 AMG with a tune up
Maybe you should try replacing the transmission mount, this one for sure gives you the clunk going into reverse