CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

New Car - Top Locking Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2020 | 08:40 PM

CLK 55 AMG
New Car - Top Locking Issue

Having an issue when I put the soft top down. The first try it goes all the way down and closes, but it sounds like there’s a final locking mechanism that just isn’t catching so it keeps trying. If I pull the button to put the top back up for a few seconds, then push the button back down to finish closing it always locks the second time. Wondering if anyone has seen this and where I might start troubleshooting? Usually do this in my driveway which is slanted...anything weird about needing to do it on a flat surface?

This is my first convertible and first Mercedes, so if there’s anything else I should be checking out let me know. It’s an 04 with 85k.
Old 06-02-2020 | 12:51 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG
Hey there! First of all, nice job finding an 04 with such low miles. Jealous. Mine had this problem before i owned it. The locking cylinder on the top of the windscreen may need to be replaced.

luckily, you can lock it manually using an Allen wrench. You need to pop off the cover located on the top middle of the windscreen and turn it to lock it while it’s close enough to engage.

hope it works!
Old 06-02-2020 | 08:52 AM

CLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by 04CLK5.4
Hey there! First of all, nice job finding an 04 with such low miles. Jealous. Mine had this problem before i owned it. The locking cylinder on the top of the windscreen may need to be replaced.

luckily, you can lock it manually using an Allen wrench. You need to pop off the cover located on the top middle of the windscreen and turn it to lock it while it’s close enough to engage.

hope it works!
Thanks, I’ll look into that!

Yeah I was pretty excited when I found it. Super clean, no rust, seems like it was really taken care of. Got a great deal too just a town over from a private seller.
Old 06-03-2020 | 10:28 PM

CLK 55 AMG
Update in case anyone else comes searching for this problem and finds the thread. I think it just doesn’t like going down on an incline! If I’m not in my slanted driveway, I can’t replicate the issue. Seems to work perfectly fine on a flatter surface.

Might be a symptom of a locking cylinder starting to wear, but for now if I put the top down in the flat road in front of my house it’s fine.