CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Am I the only 209 CLK55 owner that's pissed about all the changes to the 05 CLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Question Am I the only 209 CLK55 owner that's pissed about all the changes to the 05 CLK?

Now I know that you can't expect your car to be "current" forever, but you have to admit that the 03 and 04 CLK55 owners got hosed. I for one, am pretty damn irritated with Mercedes Benz. The 05 is getting new 6-piston brakes, 18" wheels, the dual exhaust, a new 17% quicker steering rack, new guage cluster, new steering wheel, new half-shafts, new "chip resistant" paint, and I've even heard that the spring and damping rates have been changed as well. That's a whole lot of improvement after only two model years. It makes me feel like the 03 and 04 CLK55's were either mistakes, or pre-production models. While I don't buy cars for their resale value, I'd be willing to bet that the resale value of the 03 and 04 cars are going to go down even more now. What's the story here? I kind of feel like I was suckered or ripped off. The 05 CLK55 is clearly going to be a better car. It makes me wonder why they bothered with the 03 and 04 cars. I'm thinking that more likely than not, the 03's and 04's weren't selling nearly as well as MB thought, so they revised the car for 05. That's great for MB and new buyers, but all of the current 209 CLK55 owners got screwed big time...

Best regards,
Matt

Last edited by AMG///Merc; 08-24-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 'E550
The third model year is fine for an update to the CLK55, it will be slightly better.....but its still the same car.

Look at what's happending with the GTO after 1 year, GM is putting in a new engine, bigger brakes, dual exhausts, a different rear bumper, a dead pedal, hood scoops, etc.

Look at what Subaru did with the STi after 1 year.....the 05s have a new dash, different door panels, tinted headlights, different rear bumper, slightly wider wheels, different shocks, etc.

There is just always the chance of cars being improved each model year that goes by.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
If by "chip resistant" paint you are referring to the nano paint don't freak out about it. My '04 E55 (owned since May) has several little chips in the hood where my pre nav and nav E500 did not after a little over a year.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I hear ya....

Just be glad you didn't have an '01 or '02 S/CL55 or S/CL600.....talk about depreciation

For '03, the 600s added the turbos and the 55s added the supercharger.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by AMG///Merc
Now I know that you can't expect your car to be "current" forever, but you have to admit that the 03 and 04 CLK55 owners got hosed. I for one, am pretty damn irritated with Mercedes Benz. The 05 is getting new 6-piston brakes, 18" wheels, the dual exhaust, a new 17% quicker steering rack, new guage cluster, new steering wheel, new half-shafts, new "chip resistant" paint, and I've even heard that the spring and damping rates have been changed as well. That's a whole lot of improvement after only two model years. It makes me feel like the 03 and 04 CLK55's were either mistakes, or pre-production models. While I don't buy cars for their resale value, I'd be willing to bet that the resale value of the 03 and 04 cars are going to go down even more now. What's the story here? I kind of feel like I was suckered or ripped off. The 05 CLK55 is clearly going to be a better car. It makes me wonder why they bothered with the 03 and 04 cars. I'm thinking that more likely than not, the 03's and 04's weren't selling nearly as well as MB thought, so they revised the car for 05. That's great for MB and new buyers, but all of the current 209 CLK55 owners got screwed big time...

Best regards,
Matt
Hey man....let me be the first to say I hear ya!
Look a couple threads down. The dealer says my 2003 CLK55 is now worth $49K. It still boggles my mind today that mercedes made these changes so soon. I am very upset, but I have to look on the bright side.... I still have my CLK55. Not to mention the dealer isn't letting me trade up. I still owe more than the cars worth! Maybe I'll wait a few more years and trade up to the CLS55.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:53 PM

2005 CL55
I agree I bought my 2004 in May and asked my salesman 25 times if there were going to be any changes, of course he said no. Thats such BS considering the guy has told me about future changes in other models via. autospys.com etc.. Never mind all the other crap I have gone through with other issues with my dealer who I will warn you all about. they are located in Northbrook IL, don't use them! they lie, cheet, and steel! anyway my wife drove the car and was wild about the look, power, etc. etc. so I bought the 2004, and she ordered from another dealer a 2005 pewter clk55 which arrived on Saturday. we'll pick it up in 2 weeks. she told me I can drive it every now and then plus I ordered a set of 18 HRE's for my car which should look pretty cool. never the less I agree it was in real bad taste that mercedes did this without changing everything like from w208 to w209, then you would expect the changes as they made between 2003-2004 and 2005. as a group of hi-end car buyers we should write a letter to mercedes as to how much $$$ this will cost owners of the 2003,2004 model?? does anyone think they would even listen??

Mark4
Old 08-24-2004, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by mark4
I agree I bought my 2004 in May and asked my salesman 25 times if there were going to be any changes, of course he said no. Thats such BS considering the guy has told me about future changes in other models via. autospys.com etc.. Never mind all the other crap I have gone through with other issues with my dealer who I will warn you all about. they are located in Northbrook IL, don't use them! they lie, cheet, and steel! anyway my wife drove the car and was wild about the look, power, etc. etc. so I bought the 2004, and she ordered from another dealer a 2005 pewter clk55 which arrived on Saturday. we'll pick it up in 2 weeks. she told me I can drive it every now and then plus I ordered a set of 18 HRE's for my car which should look pretty cool. never the less I agree it was in real bad taste that mercedes did this without changing everything like from w208 to w209, then you would expect the changes as they made between 2003-2004 and 2005. as a group of hi-end car buyers we should write a letter to mercedes as to how much $$$ this will cost owners of the 2003,2004 model?? does anyone think they would even listen??

Mark4

You know, I actually thought about writing a letter to MBUSA. Then I figured...who there would care that I was upset? I guess I have the wrong attitude...I looked at it like buying a computer. The very next day your computer is outdated. But this isn't some computer, this is a $70K plus luxury car. Shouldn't I expect to have a car that isn't outdated in 2 years...especially when I buy the brand new body style. I could see if I bought the 4 year old body style and it was changed the very next year, but 2 years is rediculous.
I know deep down that a letter would do squat. I'm not looking to make money off my car. I proposed to the dealer that I get a 2005 and start the payments over. A fresh 5 year financing with the same rate and same payments.That meant that the dealer would have to give me around $58-59K for my car for it to work out. The dealer said no and here I am, complaining about it on an internet forum. All bark with no bite. I should've said to my dealer......"you make this happen or I will no longer do buisness with you!" But I couldn't bring myself to that. I knew that one day I will want another Benz, and he was the closest guy to me.
Sorry for the rant.
If anyone else thinks of any ideas, please, I'm all ears.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 PM

2005 CL55
We do it on this forum! Why not vent our frustration, concern, and state some facts such as money lost as a result the inability to get a fair price for trade in. Think about mercedes, now they won't sell as many 2005 clk 55's as a result! Plus this could be an issue for owners of other amg models. They might start scratching their heads when a dealer tells them there won't be any changes in the coming year? Its a thought.

Mark4
Old 08-24-2004, 10:12 PM

Angry

I feel that C32 owners got hosed as bad if not worse. I am already disappointed enough when they come up with the 2005 C55 with the newly redesigned front that resembles the CLK and new interiors which looks way better than the pre '05 models.

But what made me very very mad is when they decide to put the AMG bodykit and AMG brakes STANDARD on the '05 C230k sedan making it almost virtually indistinguishable from my C32 at a price that is $25k less than waht I paid. On top of that they also get the better looking interior. thanks MB

If anyone found anybody in MBUSA that cared about our opinion, let me know I will definitely write a letter to let them know how mad I am. Makes me think twice about buying a new AMG. At least BMW still distinguish their M cars from the lower models. Even if they decide to make the M bodykit available they would require customers to pay for it. Even then there are other parts that are unique to M cars like the little grille on the fenders.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:16 PM

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 500
word, even though I drive a clk500, i dont like the fact that they changed the interior buttons on the AC and stuff for the 05 clks. Also, they dont have to pay luxury tax and they get 7 speed instead of 5. Its only been 2 years...what the hell...
Old 08-24-2004, 10:53 PM

That is upsetting

I agree with this whole thread. Mercedes should have left it to the fourth year when expected. Every car has received a face lift with Mercedes now in less than 3 years which is stupid. It's like the C-Class, they just changed them recentley and where as the same ideas that should have came to place 2 years ago would have made the car more enjoyable.

I really don't know what Mercedes is up to lately especially AMG because their recent cars don't make anysense. They are just stuffing big engines into sedans and tuning the suspension a little. Whats the point in a sports car like that?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:51 PM

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK 500
they are doing that because there is so much competition in the market. Many japanese cars like the evolution Viii, g35, etc are faster. They want to stuff big engines into the cars like the upcoming slk55 in hopes of getting more sales. But to me thats just not good at all, yes, you maybe getting new customers to buy cars. But on the other hand, you are losing customres of MBZ who has been buying mbz cars for many years
Old 08-25-2004, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
I still think venting here is a whole lot easier than calling MBUSA and b!tching out some girl on the other line that gives 2 craps less about you or your complaints. I can picture the whole dialogue right now......

Stiggs: Hello, MBUSA? I'm Mr. so and so and I'm mad as hell that MB changed the new 2005 CLK55 so much. What are you guys going to do to make me happy?

MBUSA monkey: We here at MBUSA value you as a customer and we are sorry for your unhappiness with our product. Have a nice day.

Stiggs: Can I get fries with that?

MBUSA monkey: Call someone who cares.

OK so maybe it wouldn't go exactly like that, but you get my drift. I know all they would say to a phone call or a letter is...TOO BAD. Live with it. Suck it up...etc.etc.
Am I right or am I right?
Also good point about the C55. I would be even more mad than I am now if that happened to me. Now I don't feel so bad. The grass is always greener I guess. I guess my only option now is to try and sell my car privately. Thats gonna suck.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Stiggs,

I hope that I am not adding fuel to the fire, but there is an expected face-lift to the 2006 W209 cars. I am not sure what this will entale, but I am sure it will get the more HP V8 and other minor adjustments to the exterior. Then, all the '05 owners will be in the same boat with you, including myself. MB used to be a car that would not update a design for 7 to 8 years or even more in some cases, but with todays market, they have to shorten that span to keep up with the new age buyers who were buying Hondas 3 or 4 years ago and need to have a new look every 4 years or less. I have just come to the realization that if driving something outdated is going to bother me, then lease the car for 3 years or less and have all your bases covered. Even if a new look comes out the following year, you won't have to wait long to upgrade.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by MarcusBenz
Stiggs,

I hope that I am not adding fuel to the fire, but there is an expected face-lift to the 2006 W209 cars. I am not sure what this will entale, but I am sure it will get the more HP V8 and other minor adjustments to the exterior. Then, all the '05 owners will be in the same boat with you, including myself. MB used to be a car that would not update a design for 7 to 8 years or even more in some cases, but with todays market, they have to shorten that span to keep up with the new age buyers who were buying Hondas 3 or 4 years ago and need to have a new look every 4 years or less. I have just come to the realization that if driving something outdated is going to bother me, then lease the car for 3 years or less and have all your bases covered. Even if a new look comes out the following year, you won't have to wait long to upgrade.
Good point. I guess I should be happy with what I got. Maybe its the combination of style changes so soon and my car's value dropping like a brick. Hey, I know cars depreciate, but a limited production mercedes drops that much??? I guess if they are going to change every year then I should just sit put.