CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Suspension Thoughts....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2022 | 06:55 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio
Suspension Thoughts....?

Greetings! Longtime lurker... first time poster. I bought an '02 AMG Cabrio a couple months ago and have been making my rounds with some small cosmetic stuff. The car needs new bushings everywhere! I'm going to start an entire suspension rebuild, but my question specifically is lower control arms. I'm tempted to just get some Lemfoerder's with rubber bushings already in place. But I'm wondering if I should instead keep the existing control arms, maybe clean them up a bit and install poly bushings instead. The poly bushings alone are about $50 less than two new control arms with rubber bushings.

Option A - New control arms with rubber bushings - $300
Option B - Existing control arms with new poly bushings - $250

Does a control itself actually go bad over time? It's just a piece of metal, but not sure if the bend or warp overtime.

Anywho, curious to hear y'alls opinions. Also, for those that have poly... do you have any squeak problems? That would drive me bonkers and would worth having to redo rubber bushings all the time than deal with squeaks.

Car goals are simple, just a weekend/evening cruiser. No tracks or racing it its future. I enjoy sporty handling, but do not want a harsh ride.
Old 08-10-2022 | 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
I would advise on Option A honestly.
It would feel a new car as opposed to a "different" car.. maybe. You never know when replacing bushings only.
How much would labor be for punching out and replacing bushings?
Old 08-10-2022 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
Installing the Powerflex poly bushings in my front lowers was one of the first things I did to my car when I got it. I have no complaints 4-1/2 years later!

https://stumptownbenz.com/clk-polyurethane-bushings/