CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

W209 2006 CLK500 "Visit Workshop" Alternator/ Battery message but it is intermittent.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 500 2005
W209 2006 CLK500 "Visit Workshop" Alternator/ Battery message but it is intermittent.

Hi All,

I've been having a problem with 2006 CLK500. Periodically I am getting the standard red battery symbol coming up and the "Visit Workshop" message. So, if I turn off the car and put the ignition key to position 1 and press the reset button 3 times on the left side of the dash before starting, I can see the alternator and battery output voltage. The battery voltage was showing 12.7v as it should be and after turning the ignition key to the start position so that the engine was running the alternator output would show 14.2 to 14.5 volt which again was as it should be. But unfortunately, every other day while starting a car and driving a mile or two the visit workshop light would flick back on. If I repeat the steps of turning of the car and start back again while monitoring the voltage it worked fine until next day or two.

When the issue started, I was advised by local Indy to installed OEM Bosch alternator and new OEM battery which I did. Once replaced for few weeks there was no problem so i was happy that it would have fix the issue. Again, one day I got the same problem. Local mechanic tested the alternator and battery and said they all look fine and advised me to change the cable which goes from battery/starter/alternator PN # A2095405210 (See Attached Image). So, I order one from a dealer and replaced it. made sure all connections were secure. inspected the old cable didn't see any visible damage or marks. Again, few weeks later as I don't use the car often, I notice the same issue with the error. Now the alternator and battery being few months old i took it local dealer and they checked and said both are in good condition.

Since last two weeks not I am getting the same error more often and almost each time I start using the car. I am concern one of these days it will stop charging. Anyone has any experience with the similar issue with the fix ?

There are many experts and veterans here who may know something I can try. Is there a Relay main fuse or even water or moisture related issue which may be the problem. I do check often to make sure there all holes are clear to drain all rainwater in front of car by the windshield and by the battery and fuse box.

There is no other issue with the car and runs great with only 60K miles, so I hate to get rid of it. If anyone can help me resolve this issue or suggestions it would be truly apricated.

Happy Holidays! and thank you in advance.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan, 2003 CLK55 AMG, 2021 GLC300
Looks like you've done everything that's tied into the battery/alternator in our cars... Mine was doing that but it was a chewed up cable the one you replaced that I couldn't see that was causing the battery to drain and starter to fail prematurely.

Only thing is to check the sensor connected to the voltage regulator on the alternator make sure it's clean and no broken cables.

Best of luck