CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Perma-Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK55 Cab
Perma-Plate

On my new CLK 55, I bought the Perma-Plate option, which is a dealership add-on sale, that is supposed to protect the interior and exterior of the car. Granted it will not prevent anyone from keying the car or scratching/denting it - but I still bought it with the intent of taking care of the car best i can.
I have not had it applied yet, and i'm thinking now that there may not be any real value to it, and it's just the dealerships way of increasing any profit they made on the sale of the car.
anyone have any experience with this Perma-plate ?
I also bought the LoJack, but have not had that installed yet either. The car already has a built in type of LoJack with on-star I believe. My insurance break is $4 a month with LoJack LOL.
I'm thinking of just getting my money back on both.

Thanks in adv
Old 12-27-2004, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Does Perma-Plate give you extra undercoating?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by Chappy
Does Perma-Plate give you extra undercoating?
No, it's just a coating like wax, but wears off over time. I did a search on the site and it wasn't recommended for the value it provides...
what was fishy about it - is that obviously its a dealership profit center -since they wouldn't let me have it done at another dealership that is closer to me. They offered to have someone come get my car and take it down to have it done. YEAH RIGHT.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
When I purchased my 2003 CLK55, the dealer gave me something called the Simonize system. It was basically some sort of sprcial wax that never wears off. The key here is the dealer threw it in for free. I never paid a dime. So what the hell...its free. When I wash my car, it still shines pretty good. I'm sure I could wax it, but it never really needs it.
I don't know about the stuff you're talking about, but don't pay for it!
Ask AlBoston....he's a member here that specializes in detailing cars....well at least his cars look damn good!!!
he says all that stuff is crap, and I believe him. If I had to pay for this simonize system I would have passed. they also threw in a 5 year warranty for my rims. It covers all damage to the rims......for free!!!!!

as far as LoJack....if you are going to have on-star then skip it!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLK55 Cab
Originally Posted by Stiggs
I don't know about the stuff you're talking about, but don't pay for it!
as far as LoJack....if you are going to have on-star then skip it!
I cancelled both the LoJack and the Perma plate. You are correct Stiggs , with on-star I am covered. At least on-star is free the first year, then there is a subscription fee. The dealership seems a bit un-pleased that I cancelled both. I understand why - but they didn't go for a hard sell with it, and I appreciated that.