CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Anyone familiar with the Nurburgring suspension for the 209 CLK55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Question Anyone familiar with the Nurburgring suspension for the 209 CLK55?

Part #: A 209 320 00 30

A couple questions here. First of all, I understand that the package consists of springs and dampers, and does anyone know how different these are? I assume that it has tighter compression/rebound damping, and higher spring rates, but does anyone know for sure? Also, is it available for the US market? Asuming both are true, I think that might be the ideal suspension package. I'm actually pretty happy with the stock 209 suspension, and if the Turdburglering suspension is even a little bit more agressive, then all the better. If anything, it might even be too aggressive?

I wish that it had stiffer sway bars, as I intend to have my suspension "optimized"** (i.e., lowered through spring pad changes), and contrary to popular belief, lowering a car usually increases body roll if all else is equal (Same spring rates). I know that sounds like the exact opposite of what you might expect, but it's true. With most cars, the center of gravity (CG) is higher than the roll-center (RC), which as the term implies is the axis around which the car rotates. When a car is lowered, the usual result is that the RC is lowered more than the CG, which gives the CG more leverage over the RC which in turn increases body roll. Just using totally made up numbers to illustrate this, imagine that the RC of the CLK55 is 24" from the ground, and the CG is 30". Lowering the car 2" might lower the CG down to 28", but the RC could be lowered down to 20", providing an additional 2" of leverage. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the RC lowers more than the CG due to suspension geometry, but I could be wrong...

Anyway, I'm digressing here. So is anyone familiar with this kit? Harris?

Best regards,
Matt

Ever so slowly, my CLK is transforming into my ideal road car...

** Is there a labor/job code for this? I would like to be able to provide my dealership with either the TSB or operations manual that explains the proper procedure, as I'm sure that very few, if any customers request this (My dealership seems to cater to older clientele)

Last edited by AMG///Merc; 02-27-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to explain my "**"
Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
My understanding is this is typically done by AMG. If you are in the US it may be a bit of a challenge. You may be able to have someone order all of the parts for you from Germany but your dealership will look at you funny when you ask them to do the install and set up.

Good luck!