CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Car and Driver - First Drive: 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 Black Series!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Car and Driver - First Drive: 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 Black Series!!!!

Gorgeous!!!

When you think about the Black Series charter—a performance replica of the F1 pace car—this all makes perfect sense. Although the pace car looks like it’s on a Sunday cruise compared to the open-wheeled rockets trailing in its wake, it’s got to be able to negotiate the turns with enough speed to allow the racers to keep heat in their tires.

Our own brief turn at the wheel teaches several lessons.

First, despite three laps of this 14-mile circuit riding shotgun with Schneider, we have essentially no clue where the pavement is going beyond the next bend, and conduct ourselves accordingly. Read: cautiously.

Second, caution notwithstanding, a stab at the throttle mashes the driver deep in the racing-style bucket seat. Torque is abundant across a broad range, making that grin-widening punch available from around-town slow to double-legal-speed fast quicker than you can say “Look, officer, I’m just trying to do my job.”

Top speed, electronically limited, is 186 mph. We don’t see much more than about 160 mph on the Nürburging. That seems like enough.

Third, this CLK’s limits of adhesion are very high and, when grip reaches its limits, the ensuing slide is progressive and easily controlled, although getting the Benz to do this as part of a fast lap takes a determined and practiced hand. Schneider’s, not ours.

But if the Black Series isn’t well suited to employment in drifting meets, for a car with this kind of performance potential it’s surprisingly well suited to everyday use. In a way, that’s the most striking element of its persona. The ’Ring is a rough race track, but for all the thrashing and curb riding of this encounter, the CLK’s suspension sops it up without beating the occupants into jelly.

There’s a simple reason for this, summed up by AMG boss Volker Mohrningweg. “At the end of the day,” he says, “it still must be a Mercedes-Benz.”

Yours for somewhere in the $130,000-to-$140,000 range when they hit dealers later this summer. Hurry. Supplies are limited. Operators are standing by.

Full Article and Video:

First Drive: 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series - Previews - Car and Driver May 2007

Car and Driver

M
Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the 7:45 lap time at the Nurburgring. If that's a fact, this car is FAST. That's porsche turbo and GT3 territory.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
e55
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the 7:45 lap time at the Nurburgring. If that's a fact, this car is FAST. That's porsche turbo and GT3 territory.
Actually AMG is quoting 7:52 for Nurburgring. See the Edmunds test below.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120754
Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by Bones
Actually AMG is quoting 7:52 for Nurburgring. See the Edmunds test below.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120754
I'll put the question to the Amg guys next week in their chat room. I think C&D is a bit more in tune to high performace reporting than Edmunds who basicly gives you the press kit with no seat time. C&D had three laps and acknowledged that it was Brend Sneider who may have lapped the Ring in a sub 7:50.