CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Paddle Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Paddle Shifter Problem

Around 800 miles the left paddle stopped working ... if I pulled it down towards the column it would still function. This paddle never operated from the top part, but did work from the middle and lower edges. The explanation from the shop was that the base is plastic with two holding screws going through it. The base had cracked between the two screws suggesting that two much torque had been applied to the holding screws during assembly.

A new one has been fitted and I can now change gear even from pulling at the top edge of the paddle (as I have always been able to with the right paddle).

BTW, Great service from the dealer.

Andy
Old 10-17-2007, 03:42 PM

I thought you weren't supposed to us e the pedal shifters until after 1000 miles!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:21 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Not supposed to use them for engine braking ... can't see why you wouldn't be able to use them otherwise albeit within the light throttle, 4500 rpm max and 85 mph max boundaries ... changing up manually on hills can allow a lighter throttle to be used yielding a lower manifold pressure and less strain on the engine.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM

I have been under the impression that lugging an engine i.e. running in too high a gear for the car's speed is not a good way to break in an engine. That may be relevant only for those buying a new Model A Ford and modern engines may not need to see a little load for the rings to seat properly.

Also I thought that the break in procedure for the CLK 63 called for avoiding kick down when accelerating. It seems like the easiest way to avoid both lugging and abrupt downshifts during acceleration would be to stay off the paddles and acclerate under partial throttle during the first 1k miles or so.

Of course I did neither.

Jim
Old 10-18-2007, 11:27 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by g4drive
Not supposed to use them for engine braking ... can't see why you wouldn't be able to use them otherwise albeit within the light throttle, 4500 rpm max and 85 mph max boundaries ... changing up manually on hills can allow a lighter throttle to be used yielding a lower manifold pressure and less strain on the engine.
Sorry, I meant changing DOWN on hills i.e. to a lower gear
Old 07-27-2008, 04:06 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Paddle Shifter Switch Failed

Originally Posted by g4drive
Around 800 miles the left paddle stopped working . . . .

. . . .BTW, Great service from the dealer.
Andy
I just had a failure of the right-hand shifter switch. It cracked as you described, but my switches only have a single screw retaining each switch into the steering wheel. Left-hand switch showed signs of starting to crack, as well. Dealer replaced both switches.

Wonderful service and attention to detail by the dealership. It seemed as though every tech in the shop stopped by to compliment me on the car.

Car is shifting perfectly, once again!

JDB

Last edited by JDB; 07-27-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by jgerken
Also I thought that the break in procedure for the CLK 63 called for avoiding kick down when accelerating. It seems like the easiest way to avoid both lugging and abrupt downshifts during acceleration would be to stay off the paddles and acclerate under partial throttle during the first 1k miles or so.

Of course I did neither.

Jim
+1