CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Front fender flaws

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by luderule
sorry guys but no need for body shops as it will be sent to me painted from the factory. If you guys can deal with the flaws and look at it everyday then by all means. But for those of you who thinks you should get a perfect fender when you pay $$ then contact your dealer and complain.
So you are telling us they the factory rep has already guaranteed you new PAINTED fenders ???
Well, please do me a favor and post photos of the new fenders at the dealer before they are installed. I asked my dealer, who I have a very good relationship with, they in turn spoke to the rep and said no. Getting fenders, UNPAINTED, might, might be a possibility. But getting them painted and shipped over would not be a possibility at all. Maybe you have a better dealer than I do...who knows. But, if they do it for you it sets precedent and they will have to do it for everyone.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Hi Guys,

Two things: (1) to ask a favor and other (2) to inform.

1st, Please visit the poll I that is here in the BS Forum and Vote your fender issues.

2nd, I have been informed by the AMG product manager... that AMG USA and AMG Germany are looking into the fender crease issues right now.

Thanks for Voting (as politicians say... vote early & often)
Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Almost a Member!

The white one
Originally Posted by LZH
So you are telling us they the factory rep has already guaranteed you new PAINTED fenders ???
Well, please do me a favor and post photos of the new fenders at the dealer before they are installed. I asked my dealer, who I have a very good relationship with, they in turn spoke to the rep and said no. Getting fenders, UNPAINTED, might, might be a possibility. But getting them painted and shipped over would not be a possibility at all. Maybe you have a better dealer than I do...who knows. But, if they do it for you it sets precedent and they will have to do it for everyone.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Believe it or not it's totally up to you as it doesn't benefit me either way. Since you seem to love the creases according to your posts then why would you care? I simply brought up this issue to inform all the BS owners and potential buyers. As far as I know I am the first to bring this to the attention of MB North America/Germany.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:30 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Believe it or not it's totally up to you as it doesn't benefit me either way. Since you seem to love the creases according to your posts then why would you care? I simply brought up this issue to inform all the BS owners and potential buyers. As far as I know I am the first to bring this to the attention of MB North America/Germany.
I sense a hint of sarcasm that is totally out of place and uncalled for, dude.
First of all, it's apparent on many cars and doesn't look to be a dent, but a design aspect of the carbon fenders. Second, I never said I "love" the creases so please don't put words into my mouth or read too far into it. Third, I have simply stated that IF, and that's a big IF....the factory were to replace both front fenders, they most likely will not come PAINTED. As a result of that, one would actually be diminishing the value of the car by putting the new, creaseless fenders on, only to have them painted by someone other than the factory. In my eyes, that makes the car less valuable and is done so for cosmetic purposes only. I don't like cars that have had paintwork because you never know the TRUE nature of why the paintwork was done...
NOW - if what you say is true, and you conveniently dodged my question...if what you say is true and the FACTORY will paint the new improved creaseless fenders and replace them...well, that's a no brainier and I would happily do it. Why ?? Well, it's all done at the factory and under their warranty. And this logic exists because simply put....if I were looking at a used BS, I would buy the car with the factory creases over the one someone had painted because I have no idea who painted them. Call me **** and pessimistic, but that's the way I am when it comes to my vehicles.
So, my question to you remains unanswered....
Has the factory rep already guaranteed you new PAINTED fenders ??? Because that is what you're post below leads me/us to believe.

sorry guys but no need for body shops as it will be sent to me painted from the factory.
Lastly, you are not the first to notice it. I noticed mine the day I bought the car, as did my friend who was with me. I pointed it out to the fleet manager who is my very good friend at the dealer and sourced the car for me. He in turn spoke with the GM and they agreed to make a notation on my purchase order that they would fix it at no cost if it turned out to actually be a factory defect. Clearly, I have opted not to have it fixed by a third party. I even went so far as to take it to Beverly CoachCraft and have them look at it. Hence my reference to them previously in this thread.

Last edited by LZH; 01-19-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
It looks as if that may be one of the mounting locations for the fender. perhaps it was tightened down a bit too much upon instalation.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by Schiznick
It looks as if that may be one of the mounting locations for the fender. perhaps it was tightened down a bit too much upon instalation.
Schiznick,

I think you hit the nail on the head. The carbon fiber fenders appear have a good deal of flex unlike steel and too much torque could cause them to pull the panel inward.
The next question is whether this is an installation problem or whether it manifests it self over time. If its the latter, just bolting a new fender on may not cure the problem as it may reoccur.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
As I posted earlier, I don't seem to have the creases. Seems to me that if they aren't bothersome, they are certain proof of authenticity and originality. As an owner, I hope that MB stands behind the replacement. On the other hand, If I had creases, I might not change them out. Never can tell what will be considered unique in the future.
I used to have a 1967 Excalibur SSK (2 seater, 365 hp, cr gearbox- unbelievable fun, written up on the back page of Autoweek) that had paint cracking on the exposed frame rails. This was attributed to frame flex, which I could easily believe. Turns out when I sold the car, it was important for those cracks to be there, as it was proof of originality. In the end,leaving the flaw alone was worth real money. If you think this is not representative of your wishes, I accept that. AS
Old 01-19-2008, 11:44 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by alexander stemer
As I posted earlier, I don't seem to have the creases. Seems to me that if they aren't bothersome, they are certain proof of authenticity and originality. As an owner, I hope that MB stands behind the replacement. On the other hand, If I had creases, I might not change them out. Never can tell what will be considered unique in the future.
I used to have a 1967 Excalibur SSK (2 seater, 365 hp, cr gearbox- unbelievable fun, written up on the back page of Autoweek) that had paint cracking on the exposed frame rails. This was attributed to frame flex, which I could easily believe. Turns out when I sold the car, it was important for those cracks to be there, as it was proof of originality. In the end,leaving the flaw alone was worth real money. If you think this is not representative of your wishes, I accept that. AS
Very well said...many of the early 60's Ferarri's had paint issues, waetherstripping problems, frame indentations and so forth that marked them as original and were part of the tell tale signs to collectors when looking at them thus representing the the cars originality and uniqueness.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Factory Paint

Originally Posted by LZH
Well, please do me a favor and post photos of the new fenders at the dealer before they are installed. I asked my dealer, who I have a very good relationship with, they in turn spoke to the rep and said no. Getting fenders, UNPAINTED, might, might be a possibility. . .
I wonder how one could ever truly verify that the fenders were actually factory painted?

Seems that the dealer could receive the primed fenders, send them out to a local body shop for paint, and then, viola! Here you are, sir, your "factory" painted fenders.

Any ideas how to really verify the claim of factory painted fenders?

JDB
Old 01-20-2008, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JDB
I wonder how one could ever truly verify that the fenders were actually factory painted?

Seems that the dealer could receive the primed fenders, send them out to a local body shop for paint, and then, viola! Here you are, sir, your "factory" painted fenders.

Any ideas how to really verify the claim of factory painted fenders?

JDB
JDB,
The factory painted fenders use Nano clear coat baked at 140 deg. Cel. I haven't found a body shop (non MB) that uses Nano clear coat and they can only bake at 80 deg Cel. Because of the ceramic particles in the nano they close on small scratches. Can you tell the difference from 5 feet, probably not, can an expert tell with a paint scope, yes.

Now that this is an issue, those anally motivated individuals will undoubtedly
be checking the front fenders ...with paint scopes.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Do any U.S. body shops use nano?

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
The factory painted fenders use Nano clear coat baked at 140 deg. Cel. I haven't found a body shop (non MB) that uses Nano clear coat . . .
Jimmy,

Point of clarification. Do any U.S. body shops (including U.S. MB approved shops) have the capability of an exact duplication of the factory method of applying the colored paint and the top coat of nano clear? Baking it at the same temps, getting the same finish and longevity, etc.?

JDB
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 AM
LZH
Banned

I am not aware of anyone doing it now...
Here's a good article:

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2006/02/70117
Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JDB
Jimmy,

Point of clarification. Do any U.S. body shops (including U.S. MB approved shops) have the capability of an exact duplication of the factory method of applying the colored paint and the top coat of nano clear? Baking it at the same temps, getting the same finish and longevity, etc.?

JDB
JDB,

Thats a great question. I've had body shop managers swear they can duplicate a factory finnish. Unfortunately, I've yet to see it. Many shops can get a better paint finish, but as far as getting the longevity, they are just not going to be able to duplicate baking the finish with Nano at 284 deg. fahrenheit. Half the recyclable parts would melt.

The factory spends millions in developing their paint process with perfect conditions and optimal ability to get to all the surfaces. MB authorized collision repair facilities are NOT restoration shops. They can bolt on the parts but don't expect them to perform something outside of their expertise.

Jimmy
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 AM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
JDB,

They can bolt on the parts but don't expect them to perform something outside of their expertise.

Jimmy
Very well said.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:32 AM

not stock.
well... if the factory is sending factory-painted crease-less fenders with documentation.... it woudnt really be decreasing the value of car, in any case..it would add to it with the proper documentation to prove that the fenders are defect-free & factory nano-painted.....
Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
The question becomes do you really trust your dealer to replace these fenders?

If this is the result of instalation at the factory, I would not expect that anyone outside the factory is going to have a shot at doing a better job....

My dealer.... pulling seats ok.... pulling fenders and getting them back aligned and correct...... um um um um
Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 PM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
lol every1 go change for a cl63 so much better looking car , inside and outside but not as much fun to drive and not as exclusive so ye that's pretty sad crucked fenders
Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by MikeRPA
lol every1 go change for a cl63 so much better looking car , inside and outside but not as much fun to drive and not as exclusive so ye that's pretty sad crucked fenders
You can not even compare the CL63 and CLK63 Black Series cars.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:59 PM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
Originally Posted by Schiznick
You can not even compare the CL63 and CLK63 Black Series cars.
what do you mean ? like they are 2 different type of cars ? yes i know it's totally different class , but CL63 is the best looking amg out there , i live in brooklyn near Kingshighway and i must say the cl63 stands out more than any galardo , bentley gt , or quatraporte there , the clk is deff. a drivers machine you want to go and abuse it go into the corners etc , and it's very limited and sporty , but when i was at NY auto show and clk BS was right next to the 40th aniversary , the 40th aniversary looked like a 300 000 car with out a doubt , and BS looked deff cheaper but also sick in it's own way but i can't not to agree that the BS is 1 of the hottest amg's out there but just it sucks the fenders bent lol
Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
what do you mean ? like they are 2 different type of cars ? yes i know it's totally different class , but CL63 is the best looking amg out there , i live in brooklyn near Kingshighway and i must say the cl63 stands out more than any galardo , bentley gt , or quatraporte there , the clk is deff. a drivers machine you want to go and abuse it go into the corners etc , and it's very limited and sporty , but when i was at NY auto show and clk BS was right next to the 40th aniversary , the 40th aniversary looked like a 300 000 car with out a doubt , and BS looked deff cheaper but also sick in it's own way but i can't not to agree that the BS is 1 of the hottest amg's out there but just it sucks the fenders bent lol
My bad, I made an off topic comment. Never mind.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:13 PM
LZH
Banned

Thanks for adding so much to the topic at hand - well done.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM
LZH
Banned

sorry guys but no need for body shops as it will be sent to me painted from the factory. If you guys can deal with the flaws and look at it everyday then by all means. But for those of you who thinks you should get a perfect fender when you pay $$ then contact your dealer and complain.
What is the status with your fenders ? Are you still getting them painted from the factory ??
Old 02-05-2008, 01:12 AM

Audi a4
as far as telling if the paint is factory or not....at the bmw dealership we use a paint meter that tells us paint thickness when we place it against any body panel. Factory paint falls within certain parameters that (0.25-0.65 generally)
after market painters can not duplicate across the whole repainted panel.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by LZH
What is the status with your fenders ? Are you still getting them painted from the factory ??

Guess this never happened......
Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Almost a Member!

The white one
Originally Posted by LZH
Guess this never happened......
All those that cared already PMed me and got their answer and those that didnt care can go find out on their own.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front fender flaws