CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

** Evosport CLK63 Black Series Project **

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mu9enx
insane! definitely the BADDEST mothasucka on the road!

can anyone answer my question though?

how does wheels add hp? do you guys mean add as in free up hp?
Yes, we are freeing up hp from the engine to the rear wheels since the dyno measures hp at the rear wheels. Much like what pulleys or a carbon driveshaft would do. The energy that would otherwise be used to turn or spin an object with rotational mass is freed up and translated as power to the ground.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Almost a Member!

What I find
the 206MPH limit might be a hard limit in the software from MB.

Either way 206MPH is fast and the car looks amazing, simply amazing. Well done to Evosport and all involved in this project.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by jrcart
Well, 206 must be the top speed...I made another top speed run yesterday afternoon and all I could get was 206 again. It must be the increased downforce that is holding it back because it is still only indicating approximatly 5200-5300 RPM in top gear, which I found odd. Does that sound odd to anyone else? I would assume if it was hitting an aero limit it would still be able to pull redline or close to redline. It just hits a wall at about 190 and a bigger wall at 200 and then inches up very slowly from there. I held it open forever and it never climbed above 206. The ground was flat and there was little or no wind. I'm going to give it one more try once I get the car back home in Chicago, the city I live in is 600 ft above sea level vs. 2000 ft above in Las Vegas, I want to see if that will make any difference. I'll keep you all posted
206 in a street legal road car?? how did the car feel at that speed?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by cosmos
the 206MPH limit might be a hard limit in the software from MB.

Either way 206MPH is fast and the car looks amazing, simply amazing. Well done to Evosport and all involved in this project.
The factory had the cars max speed limit set at 186mph, Evosport and Powerchip eliminated the top speed limiter on the car.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BMWEATR
206 in a street legal road car?? how did the car feel at that speed?
The car felt very stable at that speed. What was even more impressive is how quite it was. My CTS-V can do 190mph, and I can tell you that 190mph in a CTS-V feels more like 250mph, so to say I was impressed would be an understatement. At one point we were literally just cruising down 15 on our way to Vegas at 175mph, I was changing lanes and there were curves in the road and the car never got upset. The additional downforce is very noticable, I would have never been able to manuver the car like that comfortably with the stock aero and ride height. Before, it would get that A$$-end, light, swaying feeling and that would be exagerated by any imperfections or bumps in the road, small bumps at nearly 200mph can become small jumps. Now it just goes wherever it is pointed.

I can honestly reccomend to any BS owners out there on a budget that is planning to track their car, even occasionally, purchase the springs and the aero package Evosport developed. There is more than enough HP from the factory to have fun with on a track, the aero package and springs will only allow you to use more of that HP and give you a more confident feeling. I know there were some skeptics as to how the aero package would affect the handling, but I can now say that it has made dramatic improvements. I wish some of you would have had a chance to drive it and see for yourself.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Jrcart,

I think we are all... waiting for some high speed videos...
Old 03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MACHC5
Jrcart,

I think we are all... waiting for some high speed videos...
I will be home tomorrow night, I have some bad video footage, but I will still post it for you. I have a much better quality camera at home, but it's a pain to travel with, as soon as the weather breaks in Chicago I will post some high quality video of some more top speed runs.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just wanted to put the gains Evosport and I achieved into perspective for everyone. The dyno sheet only tells part of the story. This past weekend a local guy from this forum (573WHPCLS) and fellow Black Series owner drove to my house to check out my car first hand, he is appearently talking with the guys at Evosport about having some similar work to his Black Series. The weather was decent and he asked if I wanted to race him to really gauge what real world gains I picked up. So we both jumped in our cars along with a freind of mine with a real fast SRT8 Charger and drove to an industrial park that everyone drag races at, it even has a start and finish line painted on the road.

We lined up and he got the jump on me, but by the time we hit the 1/8 mile I had opened up over 4 cars on him and by the time we hit the 1/4 it was over 10 lengths. We lined up again and it was pretty much the same thing, I could not hook up but still beat him by 10-12 lengths every time. We ran 5-6 times with similar outcomes. He had one of those G Tech Performance meters in his car and it stated that he was running 12.30's for the most part. Once I get the launch figured out and some drag slicks this thing is going to be a lethal weapon at the drag strip.

I figured my car would be faster than his, but it is a lot faster than I expected. As soon as the weather breaks here in Chicago and the drag strips open up I will post some official time slips, he was speculating as to what my times were based on his G Tech indicating that he was running 12.3's and me beating him by 12 lengths, but I am not one to speculate, so I will just wait for the official time slips...should be interesting to say the least.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32
geez i love your car
Old 03-13-2008, 01:05 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Not surprising.....the Black Series is made to put down quick lap times; not drag race...hence the issues with hooking up for launch. I cannot make my car stick in 1st at all under full throttle.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM

C32
sounds like someone needs to call mickey thompson they make 17" and 18" DR's
Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 PM

SLK32
The 206mph may be the result of a top speed limiter and not down force.

I know that Evosport & Powerchip removed the top speed govenor but several years ago one of the car mags had a modified AMG they were looking to hit top speed in. They removed the speedlimiter and took the car for a run. The car went past the stock 155 but was still limited. In the end they had to deal with 3-4 different methods that top speed was limited.

Not sure if that is the issue here or not.

Anyway 206mph is very cool.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by 430
The 206mph may be the result of a top speed limiter and not down force.

I know that Evosport & Powerchip removed the top speed govenor but several years ago one of the car mags had a modified AMG they were looking to hit top speed in. They removed the speedlimiter and took the car for a run. The car went past the stock 155 but was still limited. In the end they had to deal with 3-4 different methods that top speed was limited.

Not sure if that is the issue here or not.

Anyway 206mph is very cool.
206mph is very fast even for a car modified like jcart's and unlikely to be influenced by any kind of limitation other than drag. Think that cars like the F430 and 997TT are rated at 198mph. Wind resistance is an immense thing to overcome when approaching the double ton.

Aside from the super-exotics, I know that the M5 can hit 205mph in stock form as can the 65s. I believe gearing halts the Z06's charge at around 195 which is a same as that thing rocks the freeway up tot that point. I've heard delimited my 737lb/ft will help see the car hit 208mph but to be honest at 160 it felt a little floaty. The newer AMGs like the BS and CL63 have spent more time being tested by AMG at 160mph+. That can be told just from looking at the rear end of those two cars compared to the earlier AMG variants.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mustang281man
sounds like someone needs to call mickey thompson they make 17" and 18" DR's
Way ahead of you, Evosport is sourcing me some special light weight 17's with DOT drag slicks for me. I wanted to go with Dymags but they have no 17" fitment. 17" is a tough fitment for the BS since the rear brakes are so large, but 17 is the best way to go as far as tire availabilty as well as a 17 will have more sidewall which is key when talking about drag slicks.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM

BMW IP M3
Man, I saw this and just had to register to post. I race a BMW M3 that evosport has built for me. My car was just recently there for extensive dyno and race prep and I've been spending a lot of time at the shop. This CLK was there at the same time, so I got to see most of its progress during the build. I was there when the car was first fired up after the new exhaust. I was there when it was being dyno'd, and there when the vids were shot on the street in front of the shop.

The car is SICK in person. And this from someone who's never been a big M-B person.

The pictures don't do a lot of the details justice, from the leather on the roll bar, to the front lip, the welds on the exhaust, to the amazing wheels....just SICK! That alongside a lot of the "normal" Black Series details....cool things like the diff cooler that has a pump to circulate diff fluid...pretty much race car stuff....

Congratulations to evosport and this car's owner! You guys really created a one-of-a-kind car!

Last edited by Simon @ evosport; 03-18-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:15 PM

6.2L Geo Metro
Originally Posted by andy_meng1024
WOW that's cool... Now combine those wheels with the 360 Forged one and you'll have all carbon fiber wheels.

there's nothing carbon fiber about the 360 forged wheels. It's like an "overlay"/sticker. Knock-offs. Dymags like the ones on this car are true carbon fiber rim with Magnesium centers
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I LOVE the way this car looks with the dymags on it!

Cant wait to see what it does at the strip!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:23 PM

W209 CLK 55 AMG
Smile CLK 63 Black Series rear suspension

Hi, Great to see the 63 being modded BTW. Can you tell me how the Black Series rear suspension differs from the 209 CLK 55, which I use for road and track. Does it use the CLK DTM AMG set up or something different. Also does the DTM use a bespoke set up or is it off another model with modifications? I looked under a DTM in a showroom a few weeks ago, and the rear suspension looked quite different to my humble CLK.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG/ 911 GT2/ 911 GT3
Sick car... and nice mods.

Can't wait to see a modded one at the racetrack someday and see how it does against a 997 GT2...

Straightline, at least, should be close...
Old 05-16-2008, 12:36 PM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
Originally Posted by Hamann7
Can't wait to see a modded one at the racetrack someday and see how it does against a 997 GT2...
Me too
Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by 2skiddy
Hi, Great to see the 63 being modded BTW. Can you tell me how the Black Series rear suspension differs from the 209 CLK 55, which I use for road and track. Does it use the CLK DTM AMG set up or something different. Also does the DTM use a bespoke set up or is it off another model with modifications? I looked under a DTM in a showroom a few weeks ago, and the rear suspension looked quite different to my humble CLK.
Very different than the 209 CLK55. The BS takes components off the DTM car. Much beefier suspension components to maintain chassis rigidity and stiffness, including larger rear lower control arms and trailing arms. In fact the entire rear subframe is reinforced. The car also has fully threaded and adjustable (height, compression, rebound) struts and shocks with external reservoir. There is a chassis brace in the rear that goes through the trunk compartment.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just got done doing a 30 minute stint at Road America in my BS, I'm up here with a couple buddies with the Porsche club. I will first start off by saying this is a track I raced motorcycles at literally dozens of times and have had some of my other cars up here as well. I know this track like the back of my hand. After a couple warm up laps I settled in to a comfortable pace running 2:23's with really no effort and not pushing the car. Once I was very comfortable with that pace I picked it up in a couple of key areas. First is turn one, I really began to go in deep. the next area I began to push it was turn 5, this is a make or break turn, you have to go in deep, this is a 150mph down to 40 MPH left hander. Just by me hitting my marks and really pushing hard in these two section I was able to get down to the 2:20 range, even put one into the high 2:19's. For anyone that knows this track they will know that is a blistering fast pace for a street legal car. As for the people that were wonder what this car will do against GT2's and GT3's...imbaress them all. They don't stand a chance on the straights, a few of them are getting me on the brakes, so I just wait and then motor past them and am able to open up enough room that I never see them again. There are several GT2's and 3's up here and most of their drivers are standing around starring at my car right now and shaking their heads (honestly you should see them) Road America is a true HP track, 2:20's on a 4 mile track, you do the math. The only cars turning faster laps than me are a couple of GT2 prepped race cars and a fully race prepped M3. If the weather holds out I anticipate being able to take at least another second off my times. I am having some traction issues in the carousel section , she wants to come around on me, I am loosing a second plus in this section alone.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Awesome!
Old 05-23-2008, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by jrcart
I just got done doing a 30 minute stint at Road America in my BS, I'm up here with a couple buddies with the Porsche club. I will first start off by saying this is a track I raced motorcycles at literally dozens of times and have had some of my other cars up here as well. I know this track like the back of my hand. After a couple warm up laps I settled in to a comfortable pace running 2:23's with really no effort and not pushing the car. Once I was very comfortable with that pace I picked it up in a couple of key areas. First is turn one, I really began to go in deep. the next area I began to push it was turn 5, this is a make or break turn, you have to go in deep, this is a 150mph down to 40 MPH left hander. Just by me hitting my marks and really pushing hard in these two section I was able to get down to the 2:20 range, even put one into the high 2:19's. For anyone that knows this track they will know that is a blistering fast pace for a street legal car. As for the people that were wonder what this car will do against GT2's and GT3's...imbaress them all. They don't stand a chance on the straights, a few of them are getting me on the brakes, so I just wait and then motor past them and am able to open up enough room that I never see them again. There are several GT2's and 3's up here and most of their drivers are standing around starring at my car right now and shaking their heads (honestly you should see them) Road America is a true HP track, 2:20's on a 4 mile track, you do the math. The only cars turning faster laps than me are a couple of GT2 prepped race cars and a fully race prepped M3. If the weather holds out I anticipate being able to take at least another second off my times. I am having some traction issues in the carousel section , she wants to come around on me, I am loosing a second plus in this section alone.

I'll keep you all posted.
Awesome!

FYI, we looked up some race times.

For World Challenge Touring Car 2006, fastest qualifying lap was 2.27 (Charles Esplanub)
For World Challenge GT 2006, fastest qualifying was 2:15 (Tommy Archer Viper)
For World Challenge GT, a 2:19 would put you 19th on the grid out of 33 cars (faster then almost half the field in factory backed PRO race cars).
For Ferrari Challenge, the TRACK RECORD is a 2:19.7 (again, this is a factory race car with the BEST of the BEST in the series driving)

Not a track car my ***, huh Jim! Well done!

thanks
brad
Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
awesome

it great to see the car being used to its full potential!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ** Evosport CLK63 Black Series Project **