CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Price check on BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 05:40 PM

I WALK...
Price check on BS

I've been looking to get in to a new car for a while, probably pull the trigger some time in the next few months. The Black Series is one of the cars on the list. I was wondering what is the market price for a new BS? There are a lot of them on autotrader. I've heard there is a lot of discount on these cars.

What's a good deal on these bad boys?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2008 | 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Not heard of any significant discounts on them. Everyone I have talked to has paid close sticker or sticker and in one case $10,000 over sticker.
Old 05-05-2008 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by 940*
I've been looking to get in to a new car for a while, probably pull the trigger some time in the next few months. The Black Series is one of the cars on the list. I was wondering what is the market price for a new BS? There are a lot of them on autotrader. I've heard there is a lot of discount on these cars.

What's a good deal on these bad boys?

Thanks in advance.
You are the one hearing that there is a lot of discounting going on. What have you heard?
Old 05-05-2008 | 09:01 PM

I WALK...
Someone on 6 speed said they were offered 125k for the car, but they passed. And I was offered a little lower than that at 122K with shipping couple days ago. Both of these cars had original msrp of 138k

So i'm really curious about the market on the BS.. is it really that soft? or am I getting a good deal?
Old 05-05-2008 | 09:28 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
So i'm really curious about the market on the BS.. is it really that soft? or am I getting a good deal?
Yes to both. The market is soft for most expensive V8 cars at the moment with gas well over $4 per gallon but $122K including shipping is a good price.
Old 05-06-2008 | 12:16 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by SteveL
Yes to both. The market is soft for most expensive V8 cars at the moment with gas well over $4 per gallon but $122K including shipping is a good price.

Agreed. I know of a new one that can be had for around 120k and I also know someone who paid 190k !!
Old 05-06-2008 | 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Originally Posted by jrcart
Not heard of any significant discounts on them. Everyone I have talked to has paid close sticker or sticker and in one case $10,000 over sticker.

A BS discounted is practically a GIVEN at this point, and not just any discount, you can get at least 4-5% off MSRP at the very least from lots of dealers that have them.
Old 05-06-2008 | 01:47 AM

2007 ML 63, 2008 CLK 63 Black Series
Black CLK 63 BS For Sale

I was just at my local dealer picking up parts today, when I was surprised to see a black 2008 CLK 63 BS sitting on the showroom floor. It is a "used" vehicle with 1,200 miles on the odometer. It was purchased by a local guy early in 2008, who decided it wasn't the right car for him...according to the salesman, he traded it in for a 2008 CLS. It looks and smells like a brand new car. Better yet, it comes with a Mercedes used vehicle warranty...5 years/100,000 miles...better than the original new car warranty! Now for the real kicker...the "asking" price is $116,000...which means a good negotiator can probably buy it for even less!

While I have no regrets buying my vehicle new, in the color I wanted, with a substantial discount under MSRP...seeing this "like-new" vehicle for sale at such a discount makes me wonder if I should have waited for the secondary market to open up. It appears at this point in time, to be a rapidly depreciating market for this vehicle. Without a doubt, the CLK 63 BS is one of the most engaging cars I have owned...a pure joy to drive. Regardless of what price you pay for admission to the club of CLK owners, it is a vehicle the true enthusiast will enjoy for many miles with plenty of smiles.

In addition, the word on the street is the 6.2 liter V8 with be discontinued in 2010, replaced by a 5.0 liter direct injection/twin turbo V8. The 6.2 liter V8 will then become yet another automotive milestone and icon, similar to the "legendary" 6.3 liter V8 Mercedes produced in limited numbers in the early 1970's. I am one of those "older-generation" car enthusiasts who grew up with the old saying, "there's no replacement for displacement"....or the similar corollary when rebuilding an engine, "when in doubt, bore it out". There is something about the way a large displacement V8 sounds and drives that just can't compare with a small block V8 strapped with turbos or a superchargers. Both can yield powerful numbers, but the large V8 will always win me over.

So, in conclusion, if you would like to join the club of CLK 63 BS owners, there appears to be a soft market, with one really nice example for sale at Santa Barbara Auto Group at a really good price...and if you can wait another 6 to 10 months, more used examples will probably show up at substantial discounts.

Last edited by 395Cruizer; 05-07-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2008 | 02:31 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by 395Cruizer
I was just at my local dealer picking up parts today, when I was surprised to see a black 2008 CLK 63 BS sitting on the showroom floor. It is a "used" vehicle with 1,200 miles on the odometer. It was purchased by a local guy early in 2008, who decided it wasn't the right car for him...according to the salesman, he traded it in for a 2008 CLS. It looks and smells like a brand new car. Better yet, it comes with a Mercedes used vehicle warranty...5 years/100,000 miles...better than the original new car warranty! Now for the real kicker...the "asking" price is $116,000...which means a good negotiator can probably buy it for even less!

While I have no regrets buying my vehicle new, in the color I wanted, with a substantial discount under MSRP...seeing this "like-new" vehicle for sale at such a discount makes me wonder if I should have waited for the secondary market to open up. It appears at this point in time, to be a rapidly depreciating market for this vehicle. Without a doubt, the CLK 63 BS is one of the most engaging cars I have owned...a pure joy to drive. Regardless of what price you pay for admission to the club of CLK owners, it is a vehicle the true enthusiast will enjoy for many miles with plenty of smiles.

In addition, the word on the street is the 6.2 liter V8 with be discontinued in 2010, replaced by a 5.0 liter direct injection/twin turbo V8. The 6.2 liter V8 will then become yet another automotive milestone and icon, similar to the "legendary" 6.3 liter V8 Mercedes produced in limited numbers in the early 1970's. I am one of those "older-generation" car enthusiasts who grew up with the old saying, "there's no replacement like displacement"....or the similar corollary when rebuilding an engine, "when in doubt, bore it out". There is something about the way a large displacement V8 sounds and drives that just can't compare with a small block V8 strapped with turbos or a superchargers. Both can yield powerful numbers, but the large V8 will always win me over.

So, in conclusion, if you would like to join the club of CLK 63 BS owners, there appears to be a soft market, with one really nice example for sale at Santa Barbara Auto Group at a really good price...and if you can wait another 6 to 10 months, more used examples will probable show up at substantial discounts.
It's the same way with EVERY luxury item and good sold in the US right now - I coud quote you massive amounts of data and sales numbers supporting it - its the market. Wait until the SL BS comes out and people will realize the bang for the buck the CLK represents. If you can buy in this soft market now jump on it.
Also, I saw a video of the head of AMG saying they have no future plans to change motors or look for more HP, but they will be looking heavily into weight reduction. Not sure where you read or heard about discontinuing the 63 motor but I'd be interested to know if its true.
Old 05-06-2008 | 09:13 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by LZH
If you can buy in this soft market now jump on it.
Do you think the prices will still go lower during the next 6-8 months? I'd also imagine once the SL BS comes out, wouldn't the prices on the CLK BS plumet down?
Old 05-06-2008 | 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I get a kick out of threads like this one. It is probably safe to assume that if you can afford $122K you can afford $138K as well...if not you are shopping over your head financially. Who cares what the market is going to do 6-8 months from now? I'm sure the price will drop in 6-8 month being that the car will be over 1 model year old. When are you people going to get that NONE of these cars are not investments? If you love the car, buy it...it's that simple. You are going to lose money either way. Buy the car and enjoy it now, before it's yesterdays news!
Old 05-06-2008 | 12:05 PM

E63
2 BS for sale

One Wht and one Blk. Used with 1500 miles $119,900 at RMB of Atlanta

http://rbmmb8-px.rtrk.com/index.cfm?...odel=CLK-Class
Old 05-06-2008 | 12:43 PM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by JamE55
Do you think the prices will still go lower during the next 6-8 months? I'd also imagine once the SL BS comes out, wouldn't the prices on the CLK BS plumet down?
Why would an SL BS costing $250k cause the price of a CLK BS which cost "only" $138k to plummet? If anything I would expect it to have the opposite effect as the CLK will be considered a relative bargain. And who knows what will happen in 6-8 months. Bottom line is they aren't making any more of them and prices actually look to have held pretty steady the past couple of months as the cars get bought up.
Old 05-06-2008 | 01:54 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by JamE55
I think the Goldman Sachs prediction of a super spike in oil prices to $200 per barrel will have a much bigger impact that the SL BS. The SL BS will be priced in a different market. I can afford a CLK BS but an SL BS would really be a stretch to justify. I think at the $250K price point you are at a different buyer level who can afford the gas.
Old 05-06-2008 | 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
I can personally attest to how soft the car market is, I have our 2008 Range Rover Sport SC on ebay right now and the silence is deafening. Anybody selling in this market is in for a tough time (guess we talked about it long enough so it's now happening.....). If you watch ebay at all, the one thing you will note about the CLK BS is that at least people are bidding on them?

This BS just sold on eBay for $112k. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLK63...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by user z478747; 05-06-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2008 | 01:19 AM

2007 ML 63, 2008 CLK 63 Black Series
"Also, I saw a video of the head of AMG saying they have no future plans to change motors or look for more HP, but they will be looking heavily into weight reduction. Not sure where you read or heard about discontinuing the 63 motor but I'd be interested to know if its true."

Check out this thread:

http://www.motorauthority.com/car s/m...nt-amg-v8-v12

Last edited by 395Cruizer; 05-07-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2008 | 01:55 AM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by 395Cruizer
"Also, I saw a video of the head of AMG saying they have no future plans to change motors or look for more HP, but they will be looking heavily into weight reduction. Not sure where you read or heard about discontinuing the 63 motor but I'd be interested to know if its true."

Check out this thread:

http://www.motorauthority.com/car s/m...nt-amg-v8-v12
link doesnt work

perhaps this?

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/m...v12/#more-5590

I'll believe it when I see it. They spent lots of money tooling the 63 motor. I find it hard to believe they will build it for 2 years and ditch millions in R&D.

Last edited by LZH; 05-07-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2008 | 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Depreciation seems to be a fact of life with Merc and AMG. The SL55 I bought in '03 was one of the first and I was told that it was going to be ltd production. I didn't understand that meant ltd to as many as they can make!

The CLK BS is one hell of a car, and will continue to look like a great bargain as the months go by. There will be one in my garage!
Old 05-07-2008 | 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
For me, like the M6, it's a pure driving experience, I didn't really look into how gas prices are going to affect my decision in buying this car, because this will be my weekend toy like the M6. Like jrcart said, if you love and can afford one, buy one before it's too late.
Old 05-09-2008 | 11:36 PM

I WALK...
2MANYCARS:

Between the M6 and BS, which one do you prefer? give me some info on how you would compare the two cars please! THanks
Old 05-10-2008 | 12:07 AM

MB
2MANYCARS:

Between the M6 and BS, which one do you prefer? give me some info on how you would compare the two cars please! THanks
Wow, that is such a tough call since they are both winners in my book...
Take your pick. Both are all the way! I'd still take the CLKL63 BS but an M6 is right there at its heels (and costs less too!).

CLK63 vs. M6 - via Edmunds review and video

CLK63 vs. M6 - via YouTube video also from Edmunds

Last edited by thebenzbar; 05-10-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2008 | 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
2MANYCARS:
While waiting for 2MANY, may I throw an opinion in here and say that I've driven both cars and the M6 isn't in the same league as the BS?

Granted, this is based on less than 20 miles in each car but it's what I experienced.

The BS is so much more connected to the road and has such sharper turn in characteristics and smoother corner acceleration, that the M6 pales in comparison.

In full attack mode, the M6 tranny seems to shift quicker although more abruptly. The M6 is also bigger and has a smoother street ride.

However, the BS feels like a luxurious track car, where the M6 feels like a GT car. There are plenty of capable GT cars out there ... plenty.

The same cannot be said for cars that are direct competition to the BS.

YMMV.
Old 05-10-2008 | 02:11 AM

'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
i agree, but id like to see the clk black acheive an outstanding ranking on the nurburgring. its a shame but it hangs with a pack of mediocre cars on the ladder, whats the reason for this?
Old 05-10-2008 | 11:06 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
i agree, but id like to see the clk black acheive an outstanding ranking on the nurburgring. its a shame but it hangs with a pack of mediocre cars on the ladder, whats the reason for this?
I don't follow ring times, so could you clarify which cars you feel are "mediocre cars on the ladder"?
In advance of your response, I will add a few points to ponder. Tracks with long straights reward extreme power (or low weight to power ratio). Here, the weight of the BS dampens accleration over 100 mph, compared to cars that really come on after that point. Case in point is my 996ttX50 compared to the BS. The BS is much more involving in daily use, and is much more responsive in traffic, but the tt is faster over 100 mph.

Another factor is "usability". Unrelated to the ring times, but relevant to the concept might be the example of the Lotus Elise compared to anything else. The Elise is razor sharp and very involving, but really is a terrible car to drive daily. Mid-engined cars are really tough to live with on a daily basis. So, if those are in your catagory of better performers, it really isn't relevant to your daily experience.

And for athird point, I would point out that some engineering features can improve times but not the driving experience. So, traction management or aerodynamic factors can be measured (and would count in wheel-to-wheel competition) but don't enhance and may detract from thd daily driving experience. The BS is optimized to do wnat it does for as long as you wanto do it, but there are no "gizmos" to assist the driver.

The most exciting car I currently have is a 1953 Ward Kurtis (the 1990 LaCarrera winner). It is crude by every standard, and is street-licensced in its race-winning condition. It is absolutely exhilitiating to drive, but it would not turn in a very good ring time, as it is traction limited. Of all the cars I have owned, the BS is most like that. Put the BS on an open road against anything else, and you will probably get there first and most comfortably, with your luggage. I wouldn't say the same about a Ford GT, a Viper, or a bunch of other cars. AS
Old 05-10-2008 | 02:46 PM
slm

CLK63 AMG BS, Ferrari CS, GL450, R500, 1985 Porsche dp 935 Cab
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I've driven both cars and the M6 isn't in the same league as the BS?

YMMV.
Agree. My father owns an M6 and had a long afternoon of driving my BS recently. He felt that the BS was a much better performance car - "not even close." FWIW

Last edited by slm; 05-10-2008 at 11:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Price check on BS