CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Black Series compared to my other cars ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by seanlee768
after reading the post. i agree that this is a very limited car, but its not worth its price tag at all. how many people really take their car to the trak? my car have about 2400 miles on it and its got aroudn 1000 mile worth of track time. what mb should have done is put carbo roof, hood and trunk on the 138k car. mb trying to build a HARDCORD race car such as the gt3 or stradale, but they ended up with a pumped up Clk. the track manner on this car can only compare to something like a porsche turbo. the weight of the car really takes its toll after about 5-6 laps on a hot day. thsi car simply kills the rear tire. if you are into drifting then thsi for sure is hell of a fun car. the weight transfer of the car is very blemish but stable. the car has great manner on track (cali speedway) even on the bank going about 165. very controlable slide which probably due to its weight, but agian sliding = usage of rear tire again. however, for my 138k, i should have pick up anohter gt3.

as for street usage. this car is a wonderful car to drive on freeway or even as a daily. its got a lot more room than porsche or f car or lambo and yet still pack enough bunch to knock out the fcar and lambo but not the porsche since too many people upgrade their turbo porsche to mad hp. i got one at 500+ wheel hp as well. however, its just my 2cents on the car. i will try to post the pics from track session for you guys later on. also be sure to find yourself a good tire sponser.
Let me know when you want to run my Black Series with that 500 hp tt of yours...If I only had a dollar for every time I heard P-car this P-car that...I have had my car at two seperate Porsche Club track events (Road America & Autobahn) and ALL of them got a good look at my tail lights, even the modded ones, 996 & 997 GT2's, GT3's and tt, did not matter it was the same story lap after lap. After each session groups of them would stroll over and just stare and shake their heads in amazement.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK Black
after reading the post. i agree that this is a very limited car, but its not worth its price tag at all. how many people really take their car to the trak? my car have about 2400 miles on it and its got aroudn 1000 mile worth of track time. what mb should have done is put carbo roof, hood and trunk on the 138k car. mb trying to build a HARDCORD race car such as the gt3 or stradale, but they ended up with a pumped up Clk. the track manner on this car can only compare to something like a porsche turbo. the weight of the car really takes its toll after about 5-6 laps on a hot day. thsi car simply kills the rear tire. if you are into drifting then thsi for sure is hell of a fun car. the weight transfer of the car is very blemish but stable. the car has great manner on track (cali speedway) even on the bank going about 165. very controlable slide which probably due to its weight, but agian sliding = usage of rear tire again. however, for my 138k, i should have pick up anohter gt3.

as for street usage. this car is a wonderful car to drive on freeway or even as a daily. its got a lot more room than porsche or f car or lambo and yet still pack enough bunch to knock out the fcar and lambo but not the porsche since too many people upgrade their turbo porsche to mad hp. i got one at 500+ wheel hp as well. however, its just my 2cents on the car. i will try to post the pics from track session for you guys later on. also be sure to find yourself a good tire sponser.
More CLK Black series owners are taking their cars to the track than you think. This is a car that I don't think people should buy if they are not going to take it to the track at some point.

Should it get a carbonroof trunk and hood, sure.... I can think of another 20 things they could have put on it.

I think you need to adjust your driving style. You can't drive the Black like you drive a Porsche. If you do you will wear out brakes and tires at an alarming rate but you can get past this. I know I have.

The CLK Black can be driven just as fast or faster than a GT3 in the right hands.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX

Seanlee,
Well I'm glad your not the product planner at AMG! The car has value because it was engineered, a point I think you've overlooked. Try taking any production car and sending it to a race car builder to triangulate the chassis and seam weld the frame. Then engineer a suspension system that can do double duty and at the end of the day drives like a mercedes. What do you think that costs? Last track day we had four Black series out and the porsche tuner sponsor had two street GT3's! Mercedes didn't sell this as a cup car they knew their target market and it was a lot of former porsche owners.

Based on the sounds of your track days its' like your getting aero slip at 165. That's not lack of mechical grip its aero and weight has little to do with it. Car does need more rear down force over 100 mph. Most of the Blacks that lower the front reak havoc with over steer. IF your burning up the rears the cars set up wrong. I'm going though two sets of fronts to one set of rear tires. I find with the right set up it doesn't loose anything through a 30 minute seession.

Jimmy
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Clk Black Series
the BS would've been killer with a CF roof. i think mercedes didnt want to copy the M models with their carbon roofs with the M6/M3
Old 12-11-2008, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jenk12m
the BS would've been killer with a CF roof. i think mercedes didnt want to copy the M models with their carbon roofs with the M6/M3
For the sake of debate, we're talking about a 5 lb difference. They didn't put a 2 level glass vista roof in the CLK BS, which weighs 85lbs vs the standard 15!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:22 PM

Clk Black Series
as far as looks goes, i think the CF roof would've been killer. it does serve a dual purpose as well with lowering the center of gravity
Old 12-12-2008, 04:57 AM

clk63 cs, bunch 911,bentley,
some pic for your guys enjoy

1 kingsegg prototype testing with derek bell
2. drifitng my gt3 in california speedway until tire poped
3. ae86 time attack
Attached Thumbnails Black Series compared to my other cars ...-img_1880.jpg   Black Series compared to my other cars ...-img_0091.jpg   Black Series compared to my other cars ...-gallery-2fmrt-2frace-2findustry-20track-20day2-2f078-2ejpg.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 05:05 AM

pics

1. my bs
2. D1 at irwindale invited as a demo driver
Attached Thumbnails Black Series compared to my other cars ...-img_5227.jpg   Black Series compared to my other cars ...-d1-101.jpg  
Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 AM

more pics

someone actually ask me for my driving experience, due to the fact that i rated the bs. i think the most famous part i did in the past are among drifitng. i was pulled from the pro drifting scene in 04 due to my current job require me not to involve in any type of motorsport, but at least i get paid to buy the toys.

i was certify as formula d driver and also a US d1 driver at same time along with rhys, ken gushi, andy yin, daijiro, casper, taka and hiro etc etc. recent years, i only have been act as part time test drivers for various cars that are imported into the US prior to going on sale in the US, such as the konigsegg and spyker and lambos bentley and porsche. however i am not up here to brag about how good that i can push the car nor how good or bad in comparing to some of you. i am too old for that. i simply drove a lot of cars and i know a lot of people that can help me in term of setting up the cars correctly people such as frank at JRZ etc. some of you shared your set ups with me which is very helpful for me. i will try to play with it a little. agian enjoy some of the pics. if you guys got something to say please feel free to post here instead of pm me. thanks. if you have issue and wanna prove yourself, please feel free to meet me at any of the cart track in cali and i will be more than glad to enjoy a few round of carting and a nice cold beer afterwards with you. meantime take care and wish you all have a nice holiday.

ps this is what i do the to ferrari people
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=218409

sean
Attached Thumbnails Black Series compared to my other cars ...-img_0037.jpg   Black Series compared to my other cars ...-img_0042.jpg   Black Series compared to my other cars ...-img_0043.jpg   Black Series compared to my other cars ...-2688494450_1faa756439.jpg   Black Series compared to my other cars ...-2693668326_f6aa36c362.jpg  

Old 12-12-2008, 05:49 AM

jimmy
can you share some of your set up with me ? ride height front and rear? tire type and pressure ? track temp on that day and the air temp ? sway bar setting front and rear ? rebound and damping setting ? also what track did you do it on ? also what is your camber toe and caster on the car ??

thank you for providing the info to me. i can then pull up some old data of the track that you are running on. also did you corner weight the car and also did you do any mods to the cars performance at all ?

i know i am asking a lot and i am sorry about it. i just cant seems to get this car dial in correctly. you mentioned about the lift from the back. my friend at bbi actually made a working diffuser on their black series.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...67&id=30509059

i will test out their car to see if lift can be reduced. i used the car during a small part of gumball run it felt quite soild at 150+ on the straight line but at 165+ the car become very nervious. i am also wondering whether or not the evosports front lip will help reduce air go under the belly of the car. betim at BBI can fill you guys in on the diffuser they made.

http://www.bbiautosport.com/

talk to them, they are fun to chat with. bunch of crazy wizard kids.

sean

sean

Last edited by seanlee768; 12-12-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i used the car during a small part of gumball run it felt quite soild at 150+ on the straight line but at 165+ the car become very nervious. i am also wondering whether or not the evosports front lip will help reduce air go under the belly of the car. betim at BBI can fill you guys in on the diffuser they made.
By your above comment I would assume their rear diffuser needs some work, sounds like an aero balance issue. I have a front splitter and much larger than stock rear lip spoiler on my car, I have run it up to 206mph and had it at 190-200mph countless times, my car never feels " very nervous" above 165...or even at 200. I recently had my car air born at close to 200 becuase of a pavement transition that obviously becomes a ramp in the upper triple digits, even then then my car did not feel nervous...I felt very nervous, but the car handled the situation perfectly.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Originally Posted by Tipo815
I've been asked this question quite a bit and there is no definitive answer. I can tell you that education, hard work, determination, etc. are all contributing factors but these alone don't guarantee success nor wealth. I know very successful people who never went to college and MBA graduates who have never achieved real success. The one piece of advice I can offer you is to try to associate with smart and intelligent people early on in your career. They can mentor you and give you guidance that can be very helpful as you start out in life.
No defintive answer?! Come on, I want to know too! That garage is unbelieveable, reading this thread was great stuff! Give up the goods man, your garage looks like those inspiration posters they sell at college!!! Your picture is currently MY inspiration at law school as I've made it my desktop background! If you don't want to tell us that is obviously your business, but alteast a few more high quality pictures of the garage I believe are in order to inspire the rest of to strive for greatness. I'm still drooling here! Thanks!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM

thanks for the tips.

sean
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
No defintive answer?! Come on, I want to know too! That garage is unbelieveable, reading this thread was great stuff! Give up the goods man, your garage looks like those inspiration posters they sell at college!!! Your picture is currently MY inspiration at law school as I've made it my desktop background! If you don't want to tell us that is obviously your business, but alteast a few more high quality pictures of the garage I believe are in order to inspire the rest of to strive for greatness. I'm still drooling here! Thanks!

LMAO. The answer is sex, drugs, rock and roll. Law school???? Your headed for a life of strife not actualization.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
LMAO. The answer is sex, drugs, rock and roll. Law school???? Your headed for a life of strife not actualization.
Thanks for the vote of confidence haha. I'm sure I'll be just fine though!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:29 PM

CLS63, GLK350
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Thanks for the vote of confidence haha. I'm sure I'll be just fine though!
Just one suggestion. Study some Zen at the same time, just for balance

Real success is a Tao view of life and a large trust fund.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

jimmy
can you share some of your set up with me ? ride height front and rear? tire type and pressure ? track temp on that day and the air temp ? sway bar setting front and rear ? rebound and damping setting ? also what track did you do it on ? also what is your camber toe and caster on the car ??

thank you for providing the info to me. i can then pull up some old data of the track that you are running on. also did you corner weight the car and also did you do any mods to the cars performance at all ?

i know i am asking a lot and i am sorry about it. i just cant seems to get this car dial in correctly. you mentioned about the lift from the back. my friend at bbi actually made a working diffuser on their black series.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...67&id=30509059

i will test out their car to see if lift can be reduced. i used the car during a small part of gumball run it felt quite soild at 150+ on the straight line but at 165+ the car become very nervious. i am also wondering whether or not the evosports front lip will help reduce air go under the belly of the car. betim at BBI can fill you guys in on the diffuser they made.

http://www.bbiautosport.com/

talk to them, they are fun to chat with. bunch of crazy wizard kids.

sean

sean
I run 44ft/40r hot with nitrogen. Thats on a 65F day sunny with track temp 85f+.

I'll give you the general starting point but I'm not giving my secret receipe so JRCart will use it to go even faster.

I have slightly stiffer springs H&R so my set up won't really mean much to you. If the axis of the front axel is lower than the rear differential you're too low in front and the car will get power over steer, which is ok if you want to drift the car. HINT: If your car scrapes on most drive ways your too low. If your tail happy on hard braking, you need to click 1-2 on the front compression. If at 165 on a banked oval and your rear end is sliding, mechanicaly your springs are at infinity from compression or your shock travel has hit it's bump settings. So loosen the shocks and stiffen the springs. If you can't do that do like porsche, put a big f**king wing on it.
OR go to Jae Lee in San Diego and have him spend a day setting up your car.

What I'm saying is at 165 on a banked track you need aero help.

Jimmy
Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SL2003driver
Just one suggestion. Study some Zen at the same time, just for balance

Real success is a Tao view of life and a large trust fund.
Yea, trust me I've realized!! It is tough to keep your head on straight in this type of environment. Real reality check. Lots of people lose it here on a daily haha
Old 12-12-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
I'll give you the general starting point but I'm not giving my secret receipe so JRCart will use it to go even faster.
If you are relying on one single "secret recipe" I already know I'm faster than you Set up on this car is night and day from track to track and day to day, ride height can stay the same for the most part, but tire pressures, compression and rebound need be adjusted according to track, I have found that their are some pretty major differences in set-up required even on tracks that present themselves as similar on the surface reired some heavy fine tuning to make it stick....Jim, I have some new toys being built by Penske, remote resevoirs will be under the hood and in the trunk, no more having to remove wheels or jacking up the car to make adjustments Look out!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by jrcart
If you are relying on one single "secret recipe" I already know I'm faster than you. Set up on this car is night and day from track to track and day to day, ride height can stay the same for the most part, but tire pressures, compression and rebound and sprin rates need be adjusted according to track, I have found that their are some pretty major differences in set-up required even on tracks that present themselves as similar on the surface reired some heavy fine tuning to make it stick....Jim, I have some new toys being built by Penske, remote resevoirs will be under the hood and in the trunk, no more having to remove wheels or jacking up the car to make adjustments Look out!
Jim, is a CF roof in your BS's future bud?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Jim, is a CF roof in your BS's future bud?
Nope, but a CF ram-air hood is.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you are relying on one single "secret recipe" I already know I'm faster than you Set up on this car is night and day from track to track and day to day, ride height can stay the same for the most part, but tire pressures, compression and rebound need be adjusted according to track, I have found that their are some pretty major differences in set-up required even on tracks that present themselves as similar on the surface reired some heavy fine tuning to make it stick....Jim, I have some new toys being built by Penske, remote resevoirs will be under the hood and in the trunk, no more having to remove wheels or jacking up the car to make adjustments Look out!
Jim,
I like a confident guy...like all the Gt3 drivers that get their *** handed to them. Don't worry this isn't a one trick pony, my receipe has a lot of ingredients in it. I thought Penske's were only for open wheel cars with there adjustments being in very small incriments, hope your not cutting off the fenders.
Agree every track has a different set up requirement.
Jimmy
Old 12-12-2008, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Nope, but a CF ram-air hood is.
I'll be interested to hear if you think it ends up aiding performance or not.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Jim,
I like a confident guy...like all the Gt3 drivers that get their *** handed to them. Don't worry this isn't a one trick pony, my receipe has a lot of ingredients in it. I thought Penske's were only for open wheel cars with there adjustments being in very small incriments, hope your not cutting off the fenders.
Agree every track has a different set up requirement.
Jimmy
Fenders will be intact...better check again, Penske will make anything you ask (pay)for. It's going to be a better system than anything currently available for our cars, Ohlins will do the same thing but at a higher cost and a longer lead-time.

It looks like you are going to get your chance to run me, I think I am attending the Willow day January 15th. Chances are you will put a whoopin on me, I have never run Willow, and unless it is a no-brainer track, track experience will most likely prevail. If you would be so kind as to dial back to about 80% for a few laps and let me shadow you I'm sure it would shorten my leaqrning curve significantly. Now on the other hand, if you want to head out to Road America, Mid-Ohio or Daytona I'd be more than happy to show you the fast way around any of those tracks
Old 12-12-2008, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fenders will be intact...better check again, Penske will make anything you ask (pay)for. It's going to be a better system than anything currently available for our cars, Ohlins will do the same thing but at a higher cost and a longer lead-time.

It looks like you are going to get your chance to run me, I think I am attending the Willow day January 15th. Chances are you will put a whoopin on me, I have never run Willow, and unless it is a no-brainer track, track experience will most likely prevail. If you would be so kind as to dial back to about 80% for a few laps and let me shadow you I'm sure it would shorten my leaqrning curve significantly. Now on the other hand, if you want to head out to Road America, Mid-Ohio or Daytona I'd be more than happy to show you the fast way around any of those tracks
Jim,
That's fantastic, you will love Willow...if the weather is good and it usually is. I'm sure you'll be up to the task but go easy on an old man. I'm anxious to see what the performance difference is with a capable driver. Will you have the Penske's in by then?
Jimmy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black Series compared to my other cars ...